Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm
Anyone have a clue how well the .50AE performs when shooting at body armor?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:47 pm
depends on the armor... kevlar vrs. ballistic plates vrs. etc...
also depends on the gun firing...
but i'd imagine that it would feel like getting hit with a big chunk of steel going really fast, no matter what your wearing... neutral  

Maddness91

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:48 pm
Lets say light kevlar to medium.

DEagle since it's the most common.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:56 pm
HelloJohnnyBlade
Lets say light kevlar to medium.

DEagle since it's the most common.
Not to great i'm guessing...
also depends on range but who shoots a deagle at anything more than 10 feet away? xp  

Maddness91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:56 pm
NIJ credits level II soft armor with being able to defeat .50AE. [source]

Level IIA is the lightest armor worth making, though I've seen Level I for sale (dirt ******** cheap). Level II is the minimum required to stop .22WMR and x25TOK. It's not until you hit IIIB that you hit hard armors. IIA is still concealable.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:00 pm
and why do u want to know this? u going cop killing? or is there some rapper u don;t like? neutral  

Maddness91

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:01 pm
Maddness91
and why do u want to know this? u going cop killing? or is there some rapper u don;t like? neutral

Why would that be the first thing you thought of when the question was asked? One can't ask a random hypothetical question anymore?

How much do you have to compensate to hit a target 1000 yards away with a 55-grain ball .223?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:06 am
ArmasTermin
Maddness91

Why would that be the first thing you thought of when the question was asked? One can't ask a random hypothetical question anymore?

How much do you have to compensate to hit a target 1000 yards away with a 55-grain ball .223?
Twenty-five feet will get you on-target, or damn near.

Not even kidding. 41 clicks for 77gr. at 600 yards, 1/2MOA each, makes 20.5 MOA, times six inches is ten feet, three inches. Add a bit for the accelerated drop in the second almost-half and a touch more for being a 55-er, call it times two, and extra five feet just... FEELS right to me. Hard to say why, it's just that feeling.

As a note though, you'll never hit anything with a 55. Shooting 77's or 80's is pushing it, I wouldn't trust anything less than 90 to get there, because of wind.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:09 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Maddness91

Not even kidding. 48 clicks for 77gr. at 600 yards, 1/2MOA each, makes 24MOA, times six inches is ten feet. Add a bit for the accelerated drop in the second almost-half and a touch more for being a 55-er.

Well all right, thanks random hypothetical answerer. Now I know.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:13 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Maddness91

Not even kidding. 48 clicks for 77gr. at 600 yards, 1/2MOA each, makes 24MOA, times six inches is ten feet. Add a bit for the accelerated drop in the second almost-half and a touch more for being a 55-er.

Check that again, I edited. I ******** up my math... I forgot I used 7 clicks as a base-zero.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:13 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Maddness91

Check that again, I edited. I ******** up my math... I forgot I used 7 clicks as a base-zero.

Well I'd never even try to shoot that far with a 55-grain .223, it was just a random hypothetical question.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:48 am
ArmasTermin
Well I'd never even try to shoot that far with a 55-grain .223, it was just a random hypothetical question.
really pushing the "hypothetical question" line xp i like that xd
i think it;s a valid question... shooting at body armor kind of denotes shooting at a body... but it's just a question rolleyes

@Man of the Demoneye: if ur in this thread, this is prolly why i'm the liberal douche bag of this guild xd  

Maddness91

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:12 am
anyone know what the old flak vests are rated?

I wore one throughout half of my basic training before getting an IBA and I wanna know how vulnerable I was during live fire sequences

I know for damn sure a 5.56 would go straight through  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:12 am
So a .50 AE isn't going to affect common body armor that well when you shoot it through a DEagle at 10 feet?  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:03 am
Recon_Ninja_985
anyone know what the old flak vests are rated?

I wore one throughout half of my basic training before getting an IBA and I wanna know how vulnerable I was during live fire sequences

I know for damn sure a 5.56 would go straight through
How they're rated, or how they perform? They're rated "haha you expect what?", but Sierra bought one and found a .45 Golden Sabre lodged in the chest.

@Maddness: It doesn't just imply shooting at a body, it requires it. Empty body armor is next to useless, as it's got nothing to resist and help catch the round. It doesn't have to be a live body, a human body, or an ORGANIC body, but something's gotta be wearing it. However, it does NOT imply a desire to actually test it, only an interest in how it would turn out.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff