Reply Zombies. Seriously.
Your ideal MILITARY GRADE zombie killing kit? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:25 am
So, Shrantic has had his zombie survival threads for a while. Well, my thread is a little different. It revolves around a novel about UN funded and operated monster hunter's I'm writing, and assumes that you are serving with a UN funded monster/zombie hunting team. Therefore, you will have access to different equipment than in Shrantic's thread, and will have different objectives. Whereas Shrantic focuses on civilian escape and evasion, my thread focuses on direct military style action.

First, the zombies. In my novel, zombie plagues are caused by mages, but more than one spell can create zombies, and zombies vary based on the spell used. Essentially, there are as many different types of zombies as there are evil mages. To make things simple, lets use three kinds of zombies your kit must work against for the purpose of this thread: Max Brooks, 28 Days/Weeks later, and those used in Shrantic's thread.

Secondly, your objectives. Again, to make things simple lets use three different objectives your zombie kit must be suited for: static defense (holding a fixed line against an incoming wave of zombies, such as holding zombies at a roadblock while civilians escape), search and destroy (locating and eliminating all zombies in a designated area, such as a city block), and evasion (sneaking through an infested area to either escape, find and kill the mage behind the zombie plague, or rescue someone trapped in the area).

Thirdly, your equipment. As a professional unit funded by the United Nations, you have full access to military issue equipment and weaponry, and can obtain almost anything within 24 hours. As such, there aren't many restrictions on what you can include in your kit, so long as it exists in the real world and you aren't carrying more stuff than is realistic for a human. Also, as a UN funded team, you may be deployed to fight zombies anywhere in the world, so make sure your kit will be effective in all terrain types. Your kit should include weapons (melee and ranged both), survival equipment (for evasion), medical supplies, food and water, maps, and anything else you think would be useful for whatever reason. Remember than it needs to be effective against multiple zombie types and suited for more than one objective. Suggestions on tactics are also permitted, and would be interesting to read.

The answers provided in this thread may be used in my novel if someone suggests something I like and haven't thought of, but the thread is mostly intended as a fun supplement to Shrantic's thread that focuses on the professionals fighting to eradicate the zombies instead of the civilians just trying to survive.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:49 am
I suppose I'll start. For weapons, I'd pack:

G36K assault carbine: The G36 is sturdy, dependable, accurate, and simple to maintain, making it great for evasion roles, and the carbine version is ideal for enclosed spaces such as urban areas (which seem to me to be the most likely to be heavily infested). It's suitability for rapid, aimed semiautomatic fire and 30 round capacity would be very useful while defending a fix position or fighting 28 days/weeks later zombies, and it's accuracy useful for fighting Max Brooks zombies. All in all, the G36K seems to be suited for pretty much anything I'd need to do (as do most assault carbines, really).

Bowie knife: It's a wonderful combat and survival knife, especially handy in wilderness environments.

Fusion Tactical Tomahawk: Not only would it be effective for killing zombies, it'd make a wonderful breaching tool in urban environments and survival tool in wilderness environments.

For other gear, I'd pack:

Crowbar: Useful in urban environments for prying open doors and windows to get inside building or for shifting debris, can be used as a weapon in an emergency.

Flares: To signal helicopters or fellow monster hunters if needed.

Military rations

Two canteens and water purifying tablets

Compass

Entrenching tool: Useful for digging holes or shifting debris, can be used as a weapon in an emergency.

First aid kit

Flashlight

Heavy duty pens (For marking doors and walls to indicate that that area has been cleared. Emergency crews do this after real life natural disasters.)

Maps

Military style tent and rucksack  

Private Sanders

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:17 am
Hm... backed by the UN? Infinite budget?

Easy.

Helicopter, timed explosives that emit loud noises before detonating (to lure in zombies) and a minigun. I'll just sit in the helicopter bay, smoking a cigar, reducing hordes of undead to a fine powder suitable for fertilizing the earth for generations to come.

mrgreen

But in my kill-stuff kit in the chopper bay I'd have a polymer-furnitured modern AK variant with a foregrip and light, a Smith & Wesson M&P R8 revolver with a laser, and my trusty Glock field knife.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:20 am
ArmasTermin
Hm... backed by the UN? Infinite budget?

Easy.

Helicopter, timed explosives that emit loud noises before detonating (to lure in zombies) and a minigun. I'll just sit in the helicopter bay, smoking a cigar, reducing hordes of undead to a fine powder suitable for fertilizing the earth for generations to come.

mrgreen

But in my kill-stuff kit in the chopper bay I'd have a polymer-furnitured modern AK variant with a foregrip and light, a Smith & Wesson M&P R8 revolver with a laser, and my trusty Glock field knife.
The helicopter has merit for defensive or evasive situations, but you would have to dismount to clear out an urban area. What calibre is the AK?

EDIT: The helicopter would also have merit for moving troops around to reinforce any trouble spots that pop up during operations. I doubt zombies have RPGs, so CASEVAC is an option along with reinforcement and fire support. Yes, I like this helicopter idea.  

Private Sanders

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:03 am
I would take a piston AR with a 14.5 inch barrel for general use, equipped with a laser designator, flashlight, surpressor, Elcan Spectre, and a bipod grip.
Also, a match grade spare upper with DI, with a good scope, and night optic.

Sidearm would be a USP9c loaded with hollowpoints, Surefire X400, and a threaded barrel

Melee I would take a Cold Steel Counter-Tac, a modern tomahawk, maybe some kind of short sword or wakazashi.

For equipment, I would bring some rope and a few carabiners, lightweight night vision goggles, a multitool, and cleaning kit.

I'm assuming we have resupply points, so some of this will stay behind.

more when I get home later today, my class is about to end

CONTINUED:
I'd probably cruise around with Armas  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:15 pm
Since I've got a helicopter I can lug around all kinds of stuff, so I might as well expand...

AK in 7.62x39 + M&P R8 in .357 with some kind of super-snazzy hollow points + Glock knife

MP5KSD in 9mm + an integrally suppressed Ruger Mk. 2 or 3 + my Cold Steel Kobun

Remington 700 in .308 + XDM9 + one of the above knives + my Chinese jian

The one place where I don't think quality really ascends with price (to a degree) is knives. One solidly build sharp knife with an acceptable length will be just as good as any other, as far as I've seen. After that you're just paying for ergonomics, fancy coatings, brand names, and more adaptable sheaths. For $40 you can get an excellent knife.  

ArmasTermin

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:41 pm
5.45x39 Krinkov suppressed, lots of mags, AFG, Eotech, PAQ-4 C
(hate the PAQ-4B)

FNP 45 suppressed, with trijicon docter sight

several frags
2 or so claymores

large kukri.

camelbak, assault pack,MRE's, multi tool, zippo, shelter half. 550 cord, small arms kit, e-tool,surefire light, NOD's, batteries
israeli bandages,other medical crap etc.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:58 pm
Bizon 2 Tokarev+suppressed+hollow point ammo+Helical magazines+flashlight taped to the left side

FNP-45+Osprey suppressor

GM-94+High Explosive shells

Demo TNT canisters+Remote,timed and wire detonators

Bowie Knife

This ******** thing

Multi tool

E tool

Collapsable shovel

wire

Can of axle grease, wax or clay

Box of non latex gloves

Extra socks

Mouthwash

Gun cleaning kit

MREs

A pound of beef jerky

Cadillac Zippo

Lighter fluid

40ft of rope

Nails or screws

Cigar case with cigars

Cigar cutter

Camel bak

Medium Trauma kit

Heavy First aid kit

Canvas Medic shoulder bag

Assault bag

Forearm 43mm grenade bandoliers

Canteen

Mess tins

Spoon

M2 Helmet lined with bands to hold my detonators (Old timey but useful for holding things when you don't have any pockets or hands to spare.)

Bandana

Shawl

Combat goggles

Batteries

Duct Tape

Electric tape

Incandecent Mag Light flashlight

All the respectable ammunition and spare magazines  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 pm
Well, according to a dream I had last night a S&W snub-nosed loaded with cocktail-shrimp firing rounds...

(Don't ask...)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 pm
090Freak090
Well, according to a dream I had last night a S&W snub-nosed loaded with cocktail-shrimp firing rounds...

(Don't ask...)

Oh that's nothing. I once had a concept for a weapon for an RPG that was a revolver that's cylinder could be loaded with various flower blossoms and herbs and such, and converted with some kind of machine once the cylinder closed into energy projectiles with various effects depending on the loaded materials.

Still intend to do something with that one day...  

ArmasTermin

Maddness91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:04 pm
ArmasTermin
090Freak090

(Don't ask...)

Oh that's nothing. I once had a concept for a weapon for an RPG that was a revolver that's cylinder could be loaded with various flower blossoms and herbs and such, and converted with some kind of machine once the cylinder closed into energy projectiles with various effects depending on the loaded materials.

WTF hippie cannon rofl rofl rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 pm
ArmasTermin
090Freak090

(Don't ask...)

I dont think thats as ridiculous as a dream I had...

I was using a katana with a scope mounted on it....and was getting headshots with it somehow  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:08 am
I wouldn't see the UN doing this as much as I'd see NATO or the other *TO organizations.

And at that point, I'd see it being done pretty much with whatever's on hand in the particular military taking the head of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:01 pm
This thread needs moar DeLisle. Quiet as a b***h and Thompson effective. Maybe loaded with some of those ProMag drums, or modified to take Glock/Kriss mags. Perfect gun for operating quietly behind enemy lines FOR QUEHN AND COUNTRAH.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:41 pm
Fresnel
This thread needs moar DeLisle. Quiet as a b***h and Thompson effective. Maybe loaded with some of those ProMag drums, or modified to take Glock/Kriss mags. Perfect gun for operating quietly behind enemy lines FOR QUEHN AND COUNTRAH.
maybe a modern rendition of a delisle

and maybe not bolt action

a book I have says the most noise you hear from it is the clicking of the weapon's parts when firing

put a silencer on anything that's .45acp (well except for revolvers) and youre good to go with no other concerns like switching ammunition.
I like that all .45acp loads are already subsonic mrgreen  
Zombies. Seriously.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces