Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
The Mojave Wasteland Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:13 am
Yeah, I got New Vegas in today and played for about five hours. Lots of new guns, including various ammo types, the ability to reload ammo, weapon mods, etc. And I really like being able to look down the sights and that there's more based in real weapons.

Service rifle is a wood-stocked early-model AR
9mm Handgun is a Browning Hi-Power
Silenced .22 Pistol is an integrally suppressed Ruger Mk 1 (or 2 or 3, I honestly don't know the difference)
Lever-action Shotgun is an 1887 Winchester
.357 Magnum is a SAA clone

The map is about the same size, but there's a lot of open ground. There's also a lot of tough enemies. They seem to be able to hurt me a lot more than in the Capital.

The hunting rifle I haven't found yet, and I know it's been changed to a .308, but I love the Cowboy Repeater.

I really liked exploring various tunnels, caves, and buildings in the Capital. Clearing all the little nooks and crannies, searching for treasure (meaning new guns), and finding new warp points. There seems to be much less underground stuff, but I've been forced to avoid many areas because of enemies ahead (Super Mutants I can't take on yet, Radscorpions, and those damn Cazadors.

The same genre of music is back, a few tunes with a more western feel to go with the setting, and Wayne Newton voices the host: Mr. New Vegas. Speaking of, I still haven't gotten into the Vegas Strip. There's a 2000 cap entrance fee and I'd rather spend that kind of caps on more ammoes and such.

Another thing to note: it seems really hard to find Stimpacks. In the Capital there would be medical boxes on walls all over, and plenty of merchants with regular stocks. In Mojave I seem to come upon maybe a tenth of the amount, so it's a lot harder to keep going.

I need to get to sleep so I can play it more.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 am
I want to get it, but i just don't have the monies to spare nor the time to play it... Looks and sound like a lot of fun though  

090Freak090

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:58 pm
I've played about an hour. Then the game crashed on me so I figured I'd go online for a little bit. Good game though.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:38 pm
090Freak090
I want to get it, but i just don't have the monies to spare nor the time to play it... Looks and sound like a lot of fun though
This, minus the time bit.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OO23OO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:49 pm
Its a lot harder than Fallout 3, a lot. Im out of stimpacks, low on ammo, and frighteningly close to death most of the time. I love it. I got one shotted by a Blind Deathclaw, and I'm currently stuck in a basement full of cloaked supermutants. I'm boned. Weapons seem to last longer, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
i have a big midterm on friday that i have to study like non-stop for.... so... i've done character creation... emo and this weekend i have an all day feild trip saturday, and a bit of work sunday.... i'm so pissed... never going to get to play scream scream scream scream scream scream

oh and i'm going hardcore... anyone else?  

Maddness91

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 pm
OO23OO
Its a lot harder than Fallout 3, a lot. Im out of stimpacks, low on ammo, and frighteningly close to death most of the time. I love it. I got one shotted by a Blind Deathclaw, and I'm currently stuck in a basement full of cloaked supermutants. I'm boned. Weapons seem to last longer, though.
I've got about 12 stimpacks. I've commandeered the Sheriff's house in Primm as my personal quarters.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58 pm
"Service rifle is a wood-stocked early-model AR"

It can be yours...

User Image  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am
Recon_Ninja_985

It can be yours...

User Image
That's a damn nice-looking gun, actually. Rock River sells something similar, though.

What's the purpose of the bar behind the mag release? I've seen that on high-end ARs.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 am
OO23OO

I haven't even seen a Deathclaw. But have you met the Cazadors yet? Those things are probably the most annoying I've seen. They always see me before I see them, fly really fast, poison you, and travel in packs.

I had a bad run-in with a Super Mutant Master on a tall hill, couldn't even really get past his armor. I just finished the same part you're at, with the cloaked mutants. But I just finished a quest in Novac that let me have Boone as a partner. He's a badass sniper, and since that's what I mostly do, we can sit back and pick off stuff before it can even reach us. And he doesn't run in blindly like an idiot, or shoot anyone ahead of us unless I do first. Speaking of sniping, the Varmint Rifle equipped with suppressor and night scope is great. It's not as reliable with one-shot kills, but it's still really valuable to have. Especially since I'm poor and out of most other calibers.

Major disappointment in the very north-east quadrant. There's a vast abyss of low mountains and then a wide, completely empty valley of sand. But the west-northwest quadrant is quite pretty. There's some "Bighorns" there and not much else as far as enemies, and they won't go out of their way to attack you. But I won't mention any specific details of anything I find, and neither should anyone else right now, to avoid revealing much of the game.

Anybody else find the shotguns pretty underpowered? I've been falling back on the 9mm Submachine Gun and 10mm Pistol, hardly finding shotgun shells or spare ones for repair. I guess in 3 they were a little too much. The Terrible Shotgun and even the Combat Shotgun did huge damage up close.

The iron sights on the Plasma Rifle are hilarious. You end up covering about half the screen with it.  

ArmasTermin

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:13 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

It can be yours...

User Image
That's a damn nice-looking gun, actually. Rock River sells something similar, though.

What's the purpose of the bar behind the mag release? I've seen that on high-end ARs.

It's at the same angle one's finger would be at to actuate the mag release. Maybe it's a physical indicator to tell your finger it doesn't need to do any farther to release the mag.

Something interesting to note. In the past I've supported the idea of using a carbine and pistol in the same caliber during zombie/SHTF situations. But in this game, that's a pretty darn bad idea, and I think it would be in real life, unless you had a massive stock. It's often good to have guns in many calibers you might not even use just so you have another thing to shoot if your primary calibers dry up. I've picked up a Laser Pistol I intend to hold onto just as a reserve for when I end up running out of other stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:55 am
Recon_Ninja_985

It can be yours...

User Image
I just picked it up.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

It can be yours...

User Image

It's at the same angle one's finger would be at to actuate the mag release. Maybe it's a physical indicator to tell your finger it doesn't need to do any farther to release the mag.
Nah, it's pretty damn obvious when you've got your finger on the mag release. It sticks out a good quarter of an inch, and it's got some pretty good... for the lack of a better word, checkering on it, so you know when you're touching it. And it's right where the pad of your finger falls, too. I think it might be some kind of tension bar for the rod it's connected to, but IDFK.

Quote:
Something interesting to note. In the past I've supported the idea of using a carbine and pistol in the same caliber during zombie/SHTF situations. But in this game, that's a pretty darn bad idea, and I think it would be in real life, unless you had a massive stock. It's often good to have guns in many calibers you might not even use just so you have another thing to shoot if your primary calibers dry up. I've picked up a Laser Pistol I intend to hold onto just as a reserve for when I end up running out of other stuff.
You're right. And they say video games teach us nothing! xd  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:42 pm
Hey I just found a couple Chinese Stealth Armors. I'll white it out for those who want to find out on their own.

>>>You need to go to to Hoover dam. It's just a short walk east of boulder city. If you haven't gotten to boulder city it's part of the main quest to follow the guys who shot you. Once you get to the hoover dam find the visitor center. There's a staircase that goes up stairs. Next to the bottom of the stairs is a door labeled "Stairs" but it goes to Hoover Damn Power Plant 01. As soon as you're in the room there is a staircase that goes down to a metal door. Follow it. It will take you to some access tunnels like in the metro stations of Fallout 3. The layout is a little confusing for me so I can't make heads or tails of it, but just run around till you come across a room with some barrels leaking glowing green radioactive waste on the floor. In the back of the room is a stack of crates. One crate has 2 stealth armors in it. You will lose karma for stealing them, but considering all the good stuff you do it won't make any real difference. <<<

EDIT: Nevermind. The armor only offers +5 sneak and doesn't have that stealthboy effect.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:44 pm
OO23OO
I notice I'm pretty good on stimpacks, but I can't seem to hold onto my money too well. I offloaded everything I didn't want at a shop then 10 minutes spent all the caps I made off it for a bribe xd  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff