Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:03 pm
Yes there's this concern that if Z-Day comes what's the first ammunition that will be swept off the shelves the fastest.

My opinion is 12 guage since damn near everyone who owns a gun owns a 12 guage shotgun and everyone is going to pick the shotgun for various and stupid reasons since they all most likely are going to get a tubular fed type.

I tip my hat to you Saiga 12 owners but your ammo is the first to fly off the shelf.

I'm betting on 8mm Mauser because it's not very common among other cartridges and the M98 is the only commonplace firearms that take it and let's be serious not a lot of people except maybe some people that are going for holing up in their houses are going to pick a foreign bolt action rifle with ammunition that's not as easy to come by as .223 or .30-06.

So discuss what is the most likely ammo that a lot of people aren't going to picking in the crisis?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:23 pm
.500 S&W Magnum?

I dunno, I can't name anyone who owns anything in .500 Magnum, and I don't know how widespread of a round it is to begin with.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:51 pm
this is why we buy everything now.

i'll be damned if im going to waste precious time going after ammo all day

but worst case scenario...being on vacation on Z-day means we may only have with us a pistol and/or a shotgun with limited supply of ammo in the vehicle if we were fortunate enough to travel by car.
then most of us would really need to worry about ammo.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:33 am
Recon_Ninja_985

but worst case scenario...being on vacation on Z-day means we may only have with us a pistol and/or a shotgun with limited supply of ammo in the vehicle if we were fortunate enough to travel by car.

Your reserve will dry up eventually then what? All your commonplace ammunition is gone from most stores.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 am
This is why I ******** love the idea of the S&W 610 as a PAW gun. Found some .40? Shoot it. Found some 10mm? Shoot it. Two uncommon ammo types, and it shoots them both. Awesome. And, because it's standardized just like any other S&W N-frame, holsters and accessories are abundant.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:27 am
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985

Your reserve will dry up eventually then what? All your commonplace ammunition is gone from most stores.
everyone runs out of ammo at some point, doesn;t matter what gun you use... that;s almost a moot point... don;t spray and pray and u can make enough ammo last until you figure out what needs to be done to barricade and survive somewhere...
and besides which, if you go to a store the day after z-day everything is gone anyways... idk about you but if i ever saw 12g or 20g or .40 or .22 or anything anywhere... i'm grabbing and going... it;s a bit more steel to throw out of something, and a bit more powder/primer for IED's, and a bit more to trade with if able...  

Maddness91

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 am
Maddness91
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985

everyone runs out of ammo at some point, doesn;t matter what gun you use... that;s almost a moot point... don;t spray and pray and u can make enough ammo last until you figure out what needs to be done to barricade and survive somewhere...
and besides which, if you go to a store the day after z-day everything is gone anyways... idk about you but if i ever saw 12g or 20g or .40 or .22 or anything anywhere... i'm grabbing and going... it;s a bit more steel to throw out of something, and a bit more powder/primer for IED's, and a bit more to trade with if able...
If you want to make IEDs buy some dismantled grenades at an army surplus shop and fill them with black powder, it comes in canisters or boxes of tablets and not very many people are going to be using muzzle loaders in Z-Day.

If you plan on barricading yourself somewhere your reserves are going to go dry even if you reload your spent casings at some point then you're screwed because you have nothing left to shoot, powder, bullet tips and primer to reload, and you're stuck with a close combat melee weapon that is your ammo depleted gun.

We could take Recon Nin's idea and buy a shark suit and go full on melee since the undead couldn't harm us in said suit. Though we'd have to find the perfect melee weapon to do so.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 am
HelloJohnnyBlade
So discuss what is the most likely ammo that a lot of people aren't going to picking in the crisis?

.17 HWM (or any .17 caliber round)
.22 Long Rifle (or long or short)
.22 Magnum
.243 Win.
16 gauge shotgun
20 gauge shotgun

The first three will be considered far too lightweight to be of use against the walking dead, but would still be of value for hunting small game.

The fourth is uncommon yet so effective in the right load that it was considered strongly against the 5.56 NATO back in the day.

I threw in two odd shotgun rounds. I love my 20 gauge Remington 870 Express with shot and deer slug barrels. I rarely see 16 gauge ammo anywhere these days.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:41 pm
Floyd
HelloJohnnyBlade

.22 Magnum
.243 Win.
16 gauge shotgun
20 gauge shotgun

The first three will be considered far too lightweight to be of use against the walking dead, but would still be of value for hunting small game.

The fourth is uncommon yet so effective in the right load that it was considered strongly against the 5.56 NATO back in the day.

I threw in two odd shotgun rounds. I love my 20 gauge Remington 870 Express with shot and deer slug barrels. I rarely see 16 gauge ammo anywhere these days.
.22LR will be among the first to go. Blame Max Brooks. Yeah, he's a retarded ********, but so is a lot of America, and they follow him like a god.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 am
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985

ya know what.. im not even going to use the vacation scenario, because its pretty much the same as being unarmed... in that situation im likely a dead man anyway.

when z day happens im 99 percent POSITIVE im going to be home with my weapons and ammo.

sure it will all dry up eventually
but the very fact that that ammo is not going to be there on Z-day is why you stock up now.

what is stocked on wally world shelves should be MINUSCULE compared to what you should have now.

I order my ammo online,it's usually cheaper and there is no "box limit" bullshit.

not to mention that wally world doesnt stock russian 5.45 ammo.

the guy who keeps little ammo on hand and the guy who rushes to the walmart at the last minute to find nothing are both the same guy to me....  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:11 am
and to the "what then" question theres nothing that can be done...its Z-day, all production has ceased, there will be no more shelf stocking. any ammo that is stocked has to be popular enough to be able to sell, someone will get it first.

just as in a fire fight, Ammo = Time. it determines how long you can fight for

Active threats start your round countdown and the more there are the faster it will be gone, youre out... and dead
if you have tons of ammo to blast away, you're much better off and likely to stay alive much longer.

but for the less fortunate...
if you have severely limited ammo my advice is that your time had better be best spent on finding the safest place possible with as many armed uninfected (ie the prepared ones) as possible.

either spend your time looking for something that isnt there or spend it the wisest way you can.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:18 am
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985

ya know what.. im not even going to use the vacation scenario, because its pretty much the same as being unarmed... in that situation im likely a dead man anyway.

when z day happens im 99 percent POSITIVE im going to be home with my weapons and ammo.

but the very fact that that ammo is not going to be there on Z-day is why you stock up now.

what is stocked on wally world shelves should be MINUSCULE compared to what you should have now.

I order my ammo online,it's usually cheaper and there is no "box limit" bullshit.

the guy who keeps little ammo on hand and the guy who rushes to the walmart at the last minute to find nothing are both the same guy to me....
Heh you got an AK-74. Never thought I'd meet someone who had one of those super compact assault rifles.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:20 am
Fresnel
Floyd
HelloJohnnyBlade

.22 Magnum
.243 Win.
16 gauge shotgun
20 gauge shotgun

.22LR will be among the first to go. Blame Max Brooks. Yeah, he's a retarded ********, but so is a lot of America, and they follow him like a god.
.22 magnum would also go quite fast.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 am
Fresnel
This is why I ******** love the idea of the S&W 610 as a PAW gun. Found some .40? Shoot it. Found some 10mm? Shoot it. Two uncommon ammo types, and it shoots them both. Awesome. And, because it's standardized just like any other S&W N-frame, holsters and accessories are abundant.
I heard there was a Glock with custom slides and barrel that could shoot both .40 S&W and 9mm.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:30 pm
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985

Heh you got an AK-74. Never thought I'd meet someone who had one of those super compact assault rifles.
it's not compact as I'd like it to be.

my AR15 is just a little bit shorter than my 74.

I will have a krinkov 74 built for me eventually though

either that or i'll get an NDS receiver for a 74 and a parts kit and I will build it at a local AK build party.
theres some people I know who get together to share knowledge and skills as well as tools for assembling AK's  
Zombies. Seriously.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff