Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How do you pronounce? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you yahoo?
  Yes.
  No.
  What the...?!!??
  Pollness
View Results

DarkRubberDuckyofDoom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:48 am
Do you say 'ant-I' or 'ant-E'?

Do you pronounce it 'th-E' or 'th-A'?

People speak differently and it has nothing to do with where you are from. Tell us some words you say differently and find other's talk oddly.

I say 'th-a' most of the time. And schedule not 'shedule'. I'm a terrible grammar speaker, but typing badly is annoying.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:05 pm
For me, it's hard to say. With a fair number of words, I pronounce it boths ways.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Cherry Flavored Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:57 pm
it depends on the location that you're in.

If people around you speak that and you go another way, there's a better chance that you'll end up saying that sooner than you think. xp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:16 pm
Sometimes thatis true, but I have a Speech Nazi friend. She says 'the' we say 'tha'. And if you say a word incorrenctly or the wrong word in a sentence, she'll not only correct you, she'll give you the history of the word and its meanings. She's one tough cookie when it comes to words and grammar.  

DarkRubberDuckyofDoom

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:29 pm
I often try to use words that I can't say, sometimes I'll resort to spelling out words and asking the person that I'm talking to how to pronounce it.

I say ant-E and not ant-I. Sked-dule not shed-dule.

Celestian Prophecy
it depends on the location that you're in.

If people around you speak that and you go another way, there's a better chance that you'll end up saying that sooner than you think. xp

I wonder if it's just the people here, or if -ock endings are supposed to be pronounced as -ick. For example, Dymocks is pronounced dym-micks. (May be paddock would be a better example since Dymocks is the name of an Australian bookstore) Is this how it's supposed to be pronounced or is it just the people in Sydney who say it like that?

Do you say data as day-ta or dah-ta? People at my school say dah-ta and it sounds weird (because at my previous school we say day-ta) but eventually I started talking like them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:57 am
Some people say "po-tay-to", others say "po-tah-to". Both are correct for the regions the respective speakers come from. Pronouncing "schedule" as "shed-jul" is a British thing. Since theirs is the older language, their pronunciation is probably more correct. However ours is correct for where we live.

There are also the different spellings, such as "theater" (US) and "theatre" (Britain). There are others too, but I can't remember what they are.

Stuff like this is why there are grammarians who argue about it till the cows come home.

Just for the record, I say "po-tay-to", "to-may-to" and "sked-jul".  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Secretly Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:45 am
With anti, it's kinda hard to think up, because most of the time, I'll use ant-E, but like when saying, "Anti-depressant," I'll say Ant-I. Even though I know that there's a whole shitload of words I mispronounce on a daily basis, I can never think 'em up when someone asks me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:46 pm
I say ant-I, and I say th-A.  

Yes Em

Katzuka.Manamori

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:14 pm
"Th-uh" and I use ant-E and ant-I depending on the context. what that context is, I'm not entirely sure myself, but I do know that I do actually use both.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:12 pm
Shinobi 1977

There are also the different spellings, such as "theater" (US) and "theatre" (Britain). There are others too, but I can't remember what they are.

While they can be used interchangably, it's commonly accepted that a "theater" is the building itself, while "theatre" is the art that happens within that building.

Just as an interesting tidbit.  

Emerald_Jasmine

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:55 pm
Emerald_Jasmine

While they can be used interchangably, it's commonly accepted that a "theater" is the building itself, while "theatre" is the art that happens within that building.

Just as an interesting tidbit.

I honestly never knew that. I think the building is still spelled with the RE over in England. But I never knew that "theatre" was even used over here at all. Thanks for the info.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:57 am
Shinobi 1977
I think the building is still spelled with the RE over in England.

I remember a drama teacher who hated seeing "theatre" spelled as "theater". That was in a British school though. There was also the art teacher who emphasised that "colour" has a U in it.

Shinobi 1977
Pronouncing "schedule" as "shed-jul" is a British thing. Since theirs is the older language, their pronunciation is probably more correct. However ours is correct for where we live.

As far as I can remember, I think even the teachers who made a huge deal over people writing "color" instead of "colour" (or "theater" instead of "theatre") pronounce "schedule" as "sked-jul" as opposed to "shed-jul".  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Arelyn530

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:34 am
I say 'ant-I' and 'th-A'. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm a Texas native.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:08 am
Well, I pronounce both ant-e and ant-i, th-e not th-a, and for the coloUr part, i'm also used to employ the u in those kind of words...  

Myriane

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Usagi Dreamer Kohaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:52 pm
Its similar to how its spelt coloUr and favoUrite etc etc in every english speaking counrty besides the USA.

I tend to say ant-I and for the, I say it both ways depending on what the context is.

My friend gets made fun of for saying bah-gle instead of bay-gle. I think its cute though ^.^  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff