Welcome to Gaia! ::

The zCampaign

Back to Guilds

Here to campaign on behalf of zOMG!, Gaia's neglected and dying MMO. 

Tags: zOMG!, Campaign 

Reply The Think Tank
Idea #2: The zRaffle! [Z] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Good idea?
  Y
  N
View Results

Emyre

Wheezing Warlord

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:50 am

Okay, so here's my second idea.
      We get a bunch of money together.
      I'm thinking it'd be awesome if there were 100 people donating 100k each to the zCampaign mule.
      That's 10 Million gold.
      Of course, larger or smaller donations would be welcomed.

Why so much?
      Because the tickets will be Power ups.
      A 50 cent Powerup gives you two tickets, a one dollar one gives you 5 tickets.
      Since the tickets cost around an equivalent of 30k, we'll need a large prize of 10m (or more).

What's more, with such a large prize, we might even be able to get Featured on the homepage, bringing site-wide attention to zOMG!.

I say we use December to get funds together for a jackpot, then sell ticket slots through January, with the winner being Announced on the 31st.

Spoons:
      Good idea? [Y/N]
      Would you donate some money towards this cause?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:54 am
I thought user run raffles were banned after the Lotto was instituted?  

Nanenna

Zombilious

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It is a lotto...technically.

I like the idea.^^

Sign this and click image above to support zOMG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:18 pm
its an interesting idea and i'm sure it would get ppl's attention, its the matter of getting enough ppl to cooperate that is the problem  

cnoisy

Lucky Informer

12,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Marceus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 pm
Sounds like a good idea.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:13 pm
Nanenna

Haven't heard that.
      I'll have to check.

Emyre

Wheezing Warlord

Emyre

Wheezing Warlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:25 pm
SykoCaster
Nanenna

Haven't heard that.
      I'll have to check.

I've checked and double-checked, and nowhere have I seen this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:51 pm
Wait, do the participants have to send power ups to the mule or buy power ups from the mule with the 10 mil?

If I have to toss in 100k, someone better come down to kill EB with me at least twice.  

Black Witch of Ra

Greedy Shapeshifter

18,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Party Animal 100
  • Battle: Mage 100

Atrash the Squidmonger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Black Witch of Ra
Wait, do the participants have to send power ups to the mule or buy power ups from the mule with the 10 mil?

If I have to toss in 100k, someone better come down to kill EB with me at least twice.

I think it's the former: participants send power ups as their "tickets" for their chance to win money (thus encouraging power ups to be bought with GC, or with gold, which raises the marketplace cost for them and so encourages more GC purchases of them - while also funding, with powerups, our ability to give powerups as rewards or incentives, so as to advertise zOMG more and make people use more powerups and play zOMG more [hopefully with some way to generally keep the powerups from cycling back to the marketplace]).  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:17 pm
SykoCaster
SykoCaster
Nanenna

Haven't heard that.
      I'll have to check.

I've checked and double-checked, and nowhere have I seen this.

Ah, then I'm imagining things.  

Nanenna

Emyre

Wheezing Warlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:29 pm
Atrash the Squidmonger
Black Witch of Ra

I think it's the former: participants send power ups as their "tickets" for their chance to win money (thus encouraging power ups to be bought with GC, or with gold, which raises the marketplace cost for them and so encourages more GC purchases of them - while also funding, with powerups, our ability to give powerups as rewards or incentives, so as to advertise zOMG more and make people use more powerups and play zOMG more [hopefully with some way to generally keep the powerups from cycling back to the marketplace]).

That's correct.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the Power Ups once we get them, though.
      Yes, we could give them out as prizes to encourage people to play zOMG!, but the sad fact is that they generally just get sold on the MP anyway.

The other idea I had was to sponsor a "Buy One, Get One Free" program, where, if you purchase a Power Up with GC, and send in a screenshot, we give you another one for free.
      Will they end up on the MP still? Maybe.
      But we'll essentially be doubling the Power Up profits we make from the whole deal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:44 pm
SykoCaster
Atrash the Squidmonger
Black Witch of Ra

That's correct.

Yes, we could give them out as prizes to encourage people to play zOMG!, but the sad fact is that they generally just get sold on the MP anyway.

Ehh. . . Power ups for power ups? I think we want to give people reasons to use power ups in game. Without a "good" reason, they'll end up back in the MP anyways.

Just because it'll make things easier doesn't always mean they'll use it. It's the whole supply vs demand argument. Short term being the raffle but we do we have for a long term?

We could alternate between the raffle and the art giveaway. Both using power-ups as tickets to do something with the supply. The demand is something we need to work on. The only uses I know of for power ups is either Hive or EB.

Quote:
The other idea I had was to sponsor a "Buy One, Get One Free" program, where, if you purchase a Power Up with GC, and send in a screenshot, we give you another one for free.
But we'll essentially be doubling the Power Up profits we make from the whole deal.

Power ups for power ups? Ehh. . . I don't think this would be a good idea. I don't know how many people want to buy power ups from the shop vs the MP. For people who use power ups, it's a great BOGO. If we want to make even a scratch in the power up profits, we'll need bigger appeal than that.

Then again, it's just my 2 cents at 3 AM in the morning.  

Black Witch of Ra

Greedy Shapeshifter

18,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Party Animal 100
  • Battle: Mage 100

Atrash the Squidmonger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:25 am
SykoCaster
Atrash the Squidmonger
Black Witch of Ra

That's correct.

One thing might be to hoard the powerups for a little bit after getting them in mass. So a raffle or a major art program, or any of those things suggested where we absorb a lot of powerups all at one time - would be held say in January. Then in February or March we'd spend them on projects to help noobs, give as rewards, etc. This would allow for the marketplace prices to stabilize. Rather than seeing powerups at their highest points (with supply shrunk and demand up), and the quickly rising price due to the buying out of a lot of them... people who got powerups would see the prices after they lowered back down to usual supply and demand (and falling prices). This would give less incentive to sell them.

Powerups also soulbind upon being partially used. It seems hard to enforce having people use up one charge in game (thus, while reducing the reward power by only one charge [and hey, they could even benefit from it then], making sure it's stuck to them) whenever they get a powerup, though. One possibility would be to make recipients sign a pledge to use their powerups that they gained in reward or noob-help or whatever in zOMG rather than to sell them on the marketplace. A complex accountability system might also be possible, but it would be laborious to keep up.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:19 pm
A simple pledge would probably work ok. There would still be those who sell it anyway, but many I think would follow through. More so if the reason for the pledge was given, and if they had to outright agree to the pledge.

(i.e. Instead of fine print saying "participation in this competition verifies that user will not resell winnings on MP"
Those who wish to participate must 'sign' that they agree to the terms of the contest as well as note that they recognize why the 'no sell back' terms exist. Psychologically it would increase the likely hood of participants being honest, though it could do nothing to decrease the number of dishonest participants.)

Another option would be to couple the delay in redistributing power ups (waiting out the MP price stabilization) with staggering the release of power ups (rather than releasing all of them at once, release a few here and a few there to prevent a large release of them).
Though this wouldn't actually do much other than prevent an, already unlikely, price drop at the power ups re-release into Gaia's population.

Best bet I think would be to use them as future prizes/gifts, and simply have those who might receive them consciously agree not to resell. Like that you wouldn't even need to wait out the market stabilization if you didn't want, as there wouldn't be large quantities released at any given time.  

Nalyd Rin Dei la Rune

Demetre Vi

OG Gaian

12,275 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • There are two sides... 50
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:29 pm
SykoCaster

Okay, so here's my second idea.
      We get a bunch of money together.
      I'm thinking it'd be awesome if there were 100 people donating 100k each to the zCampaign mule.
      That's 10 Million gold.
      Of course, larger or smaller donations would be welcomed.

Why so much?
      Because the tickets will be Power ups.
      A 50 cent Powerup gives you two tickets, a one dollar one gives you 5 tickets.
      Since the tickets cost around an equivalent of 30k, we'll need a large prize of 10m (or more).

What's more, with such a large prize, we might even be able to get Featured on the homepage, bringing site-wide attention to zOMG!.

I say we use December to get funds together for a jackpot, then sell ticket slots through January, with the winner being Announced on the 31st.

Spoons:
      Good idea? [Y/N]
      Would you donate some money towards this cause?

sure I'd be happy to help smile  
The Think Tank

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces