Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:25 pm
Yeah so I'm broadening my view on what rifle I should get as my first. I really like the durability of the mosin nagant but I don't like the fact that there isn't match grade ammo that I can easily find for it and modifications have to be ordered custom. Its also a really difficult rifle to load with stripper clips since it's single stack and the feed into the internal magazine is shaped to suit the rimmed ammo. I don't like thew scope mounting either.

I like the K-98 especially since they manufacture double trigger assemblies and sporter stocks for it. Loading it is horribly easy and thew safety is really nice. Scope mounting is rather simple and much easier because of the bolt design. It's also fairly durable and match grade ammo is as easy as walking into Bass Pro. I don't like the fact though that if you drop the bolt it screws with the mechanism.

So cheap shooting and near indestructability vs something I can easily turn into an effective target shooter?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:10 pm
If you want to ******** your K98, just get a Remington 700. Same ******** action, with the benefit of technology. And then get a Mosin.

If you want some history, get a Mosin. Most K98's seem to be from Mitchell's, and have a nasty tendency to ******** YOU CUSTOMER.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:21 pm
Pripyat Dawn
If you want to ******** your K98, just get a Remington 700. Same ******** action, with the benefit of technology. And then get a Mosin.

If you want some history, get a Mosin. Most K98's seem to be from Mitchell's, and have a nasty tendency to ******** YOU CUSTOMER.
Remington 700 too expensive. Mauser 98s are classic versitile rifles that had more applications put to them then just war. For instance it was a classic marksman rifle of choice among law enforcement from the 1910s to the 1950s. Plus it has some good double set trigger assemblies.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm
The problem with a good Mauser K98 is that they cost twice the price of a Mosin.

Then there's the cost of 7mm and 8mm ammo over the glut of cheap ammo for the Mosin. God help you if you find an export military Mauser K98 from South America chambered for .30-06!

A few weeks ago, I held a prewar Swedish Mauser single shot sniper rifle in 6.5mm. They wanted way over a grand for it. No thanks.

Find a dirty Mosin, take it home and clean it up. Give a nice rifle a good home.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm
k98 isnt a very great platform to scope compared to the mosin.

even german snipers in stalingrad ditched their sniper mausers for scoped mosins whenever they could get their hands on them  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:55 pm
Recon_Ninja_985

even german snipers in stalingrad ditched their sniper mausers for scoped mosins whenever they could get their hands on them
German snipers didn't ditch their mausers for the reasons you are suggesting.
The Nagant simply functioned better in colder temperatures.
I've read an interview of three of the best German snipers of the war, two of them used their mausers throughout the entire war. The third used a scoped Nagant prior to attending "sniper school", but later stuck to/preferred his issued scoped mauser for the rest of the war.

Not to say the Nagant is not a good rifle, or to say German snipers never used them (Because they did indeed), just felt like clarifying as to why.
I'll try to find that interview for you guys, it was an interesting read.

Thdark

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 pm
The only reason I'd want a k98 over a Mosin is because, after using the clips on my SMLE, I suspect the reason they're so difficult to use is a combination of the double-stack magazine and the rimmed ammunition. As the k98 has neither of these, I'd suspect it to be far easier to load.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 am
Personally, I'm a fan of the Mauser. I don't have anything against the Mosin-Nagant, and if I could I'd actually own both (with maybe an Enfield and a Springfield as well), but for a reason I can't quite describe I'm more partial to the Mauser.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 am
Hello, my name is Garand and all of you suck.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:06 pm
Recon_Ninja_985

Of course it's a better sniper platform. You don't even have to modify the bolt to use it when you put a scope on it. Not to mention the fact I can't find match grade bullets that are sold in stores. Norma is the only manufacturer that even comes close to match grade 7.62x54R but...It's still niper grade.

Besides who the ******** goes target shooting in -30 degree weather?

@ Floyd: I found an M98 running the same price as a Mosin in Biffs one time. Half the s**t in that shop is antiquity firearms from deceased veterans.

@ Buckner: Hello I'm a cheap b*****d that doesn't want to blow $2,000 on a 8 shot .30-06 rifle.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:49 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
@ Buckner: Hello I'm a cheap b*****d that doesn't want to blow $2,000 on a 8 shot .30-06 rifle.
2k is for museum grade. If you want one in a comparable grade to most of the Mosins you'll find, it'll probably run you closer to $700.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:49 pm
weighing the prices ive come to the conclusion that buying a legitimate sniper mosin is probably not only cheaper, but a better idea and a better value option as opposed to bubba-ing a k98

especially when it it already comes with it's intended bent bolt and it's intended military scope already mounted properly and all that s**t done for you

http://maysportinggoods.com/russian-mosin-nagant-1891-30-sniper-rmn9130s.html

under 500 dollars

much better than spending 400 dollars on a decent grade mauser and then spending even more money on a decent scope, mount, cost for having mounted. which would come to well over 500 dollars considering you dont buy a ghetto grade scope for it.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:02 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985

Of course it's a better sniper platform. You don't even have to modify the bolt to use it when you put a scope on it. Not to mention the fact I can't find match grade bullets that are sold in stores. Norma is the only manufacturer that even comes close to match grade 7.62x54R but...It's still niper grade.

Besides who the ******** goes target shooting in -30 degree weather?

@ Floyd: I found an M98 running the same price as a Mosin in Biffs one time. Half the s**t in that shop is antiquity firearms from deceased veterans.

are you shooting competition with the damn thing or what? dont need match grade for a combat rifle or a plinker .

if you want more than that just get an M1A or an R700

accuracy for both nagant and mauser rifles are already great with military ammo as it is.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:42 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
2k is for museum grade. If you want one in a comparable grade to most of the Mosins you'll find, it'll probably run you closer to $700.
Never Found one except Springfield armory reproductions which were $1500.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:57 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Never Found one except Springfield armory reproductions which were $1500.
SA makes repro? I didn't know that...

Anyway, ODCMP sells them beginning at $500.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff