Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:43 pm
Want to watch someone build a mil spec weapon? We've got a show for you.

Due on Discovery next month, Sons of Guns looks like a winner out of the gate. Take one fairly interesting gunsmith with experience with weapons and a million dollar machine shop. Add wild gun ideas. Mix and compress for the time slot, and you have a kick a** idea.

Quote:
DISCOVERY CHANNEL'S ALL-NEW SERIES, "SONS OF GUNS," WILL HAVE AUDIENCES FIRED UP

- Series to Premiere Wednesday, January 12 at 10PM -

(Silver Spring, Md.) - "If you can dream it, we can build it" is the motto at Red Jacket, the nation's most unique weapons business. Owner Will Hayden and his eclectic crew of Baton Rouge, Louisiana gunsmiths and historians rise to the challenge daily on Discovery Channel's world premiere series SONS OF GUNS, creating one-of-a-kind custom weapons. The show fires off on Wednesdays at 10PM ET/PT, starting January 12.

Article  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm
Do they do automatics?  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:23 pm
Floyd

Due on Discovery next month, Sons of Guns looks like a winner out of the gate. Take one fairly interesting gunsmith with experience with weapons and a million dollar machine shop. Add wild gun ideas. Mix and compress for the time slot, and you have a kick a** idea.

Quote:
DISCOVERY CHANNEL'S ALL-NEW SERIES, "SONS OF GUNS," WILL HAVE AUDIENCES FIRED UP

(Silver Spring, Md.) - "If you can dream it, we can build it" is the motto at Red Jacket, the nation's most unique weapons business. Owner Will Hayden and his eclectic crew of Baton Rouge, Louisiana gunsmiths and historians rise to the challenge daily on Discovery Channel's world premiere series SONS OF GUNS, creating one-of-a-kind custom weapons. The show fires off on Wednesdays at 10PM ET/PT, starting January 12.

Article
I heard not too long ago.

Will is a god with AK's

I went to his birthday party / machinegun shoot back in june and got to fire many of his builds.
there were reps from mississippi auto arms and MD arms there as well so I got to mess around with some of their stuff too.

theres a good chance you may see me on the show somewhere because there was a tv camera at the shoot and they said it was for their new show.

(and yes valkyrie, they do automatics too)  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd

Quote:

Article

Will is a god with AK's

I went to his birthday party / machinegun shoot back in june and got to fire many of his builds.
there were reps from mississippi auto arms and MD arms there as well so I got to mess around with some of their stuff too.

theres a good chance you may see me on the show somewhere because there was a tv camera at the shoot and they said it was for their new show.

Oh joy. Maybe they'll do my belt fed .50 BMG AR rifle idea.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:48 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd

Quote:

Article

Will is a god with AK's

IDK about that but joe from red jacket put together an M2 not too long ago

I think as long as you can get a hold of a transferable M2, red jacket can probably find a way to mount it onto an AR lower and give it a shorter barrel....

I wouldnt reccommend it though....

theres no other transferable .50bmg machinegun out there that I know of so an M2 is probably your only choice in the matter. just be ready to spend over $30k for the M2 alone, nevermind the custom work

if you had an M2 built new, it would have to be semi auto, but at least it would be under $10k

also, here's the link to the trailer vid http://www.facebook.com/?ref=mb&sk=messages#!/video/video.php?v=1665435549867  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 pm
okay...so im definitely going to SBS a saiga 12 and have red jacket mod it to be mounted onto a picatinny handguard now....  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:29 am
I kind of want to design a Nagant-esque revolver in .22LR/Short with a threaded barrel. ******** would be SO MUCH FUN to shoot suppressed. .22 Short is magnum air rifle quiet already, can you imagine that s**t with a can?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:58 am
Fresnel
I kind of want to design a Nagant-esque revolver in .22LR/Short with a threaded barrel. ******** would be SO MUCH FUN to shoot suppressed. .22 Short is magnum air rifle quiet already, can you imagine that s**t with a can?

Thanks for that suggestion! Sounds like a winner for Idaho. One can legally justify having a suppressed small caliber firearm for varmint hunting. You still have the paperwork and license to deal with, but it's possible.

On the same thought, it's fun to go over to the Impact Gun store and look at their selection of suppressors, just waiting for a license and a nice home.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 am
This actually makes me want to watch TV. :O  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:59 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd

Quote:

Article

Will is a god with AK's

IDK about that but joe from red jacket put together an M2 not too long ago

I think as long as you can get a hold of a transferable M2, red jacket can probably find a way to mount it onto an AR lower and give it a shorter barrel....

I wouldnt reccommend it though....

theres no other transferable .50bmg machinegun out there that I know of so an M2 is probably your only choice in the matter. just be ready to spend over $30k for the M2 alone, nevermind the custom work

if you had an M2 built new, it would have to be semi auto, but at least it would be under $10k

also, here's the link to the trailer vid http://www.facebook.com/?ref=mb&sk=messages#!/video/video.php?v=1665435549867
I won't settle for cutting corners.

Valkyrie a while back made a belt fed adapter for the reciever of AR-15s and before that the original AR-10 had a belt feed adapterthat came standard with it.

Here's what you do. Take the entire AR design and upscale it. Take a Valkyrie belt feed adapter meant for AR-15s and upscale it. Install. Make the barrel heavier and you're done.

So basically what I've given you is a an upscaled AR rifle that has the same belt feed capability as the original AR-10 rifle.

It's not the fact that it fires .50 BMG it's because it looks cooler than an M2 doing it.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:11 pm
Floyd
Fresnel

Thanks for that suggestion! Sounds like a winner for Idaho. One can legally justify having a suppressed small caliber firearm for varmint hunting. You still have the paperwork and license to deal with, but it's possible.

On the same thought, it's fun to go over to the Impact Gun store and look at their selection of suppressors, just waiting for a license and a nice home.
stressed I need to keep my trap shut until I actually design and/or sell my ideas. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:07 pm
Fresnel
Floyd
Fresnel

stressed I need to keep my trap shut until I actually design and/or sell my ideas. xd
To the patent office!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZxn0aT_UQ  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm
One can be sure some Russian beat us all to this idea.

And patents are a fool's paradise. You need big money to do one correctly. Between special law firms, patent searches and making enough money off the idea to pay for the up front costs, it's a waste of time at the individual level anymore.

And even if one does manage to get a patent, making use of it is another whole kettle of fish. As we've seen in various news stories of late, some companies exist merely as fronts to sue other companies because they have patents but do not make use of them to produce goods.

And the 'intellectual property of failing companies are being marketed as the last real value to other bigger companies. Apple is in a bidding war to buy the patents of a company that just gave up.

Even if you can actually produce a profitable product, and prove you patent is in play, someone else will just buy one of yours and 'backwards engineer' a new and legal version, then patent it. This happens in Japan a whole lot, especially against US companies like GE.

A bleak picture, but it is a lesson. Save your ideas and build as much of them as you can yourself.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:29 pm
Fresnel
dude, the russians already did this with the 1895 nagant revolver.

they made a target version for training that's been around for almost as long as the 30 cal version has

I had a nagant revolver a few years ago, traded for a mosin.

I used to shoot .32 longs and .32 magnums all the time out of it instead of the weird 7.62 nagant ammo that's hard to find  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers