Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild
What Happened to good final fantasy games? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TimithyEcho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:41 pm
What the f**k happened to good final fantasy games? everything after 10 was bad!!! ill even go as far as 10-2 was good. but serously 11 was bad, 12 was bad 13 was bad and 14 is bad! crisis core is OK. only thing good about it was it made me like a part of the ff7 world. HEY square enix. QUIT CHANGING STUFF!!! 8-9-10- and tactics were your best ff games. QUIT ADDING NEW STUFF THAT IS BAD!!!!

13- main character died it was game over. you could only control the main character, very linear

12-WHOLE GAME WAS BAD!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:18 pm
I'm afraid i must partially disagree. Personally i liked 12. The gameplay wasnt the best but i liked the story. It was intriguing. And besides Vaan and Penelo, the characters were interesting. The license system was innovative, even if it sounds silly that you cant use a particular sword until you get a license for it. I prefer to think of it as you arent allowed to until you get the proper license. I will totally agree with you on 13 tho. It just didnt click at all with me. And i cant comment on 11 or 14 as ive never played them. I'm a WoW man myself blaugh  

ozxander

Dangerous Vampire

6,475 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

FebruaryLiege

5,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:57 pm
I've only played up to XII. Here's my personal breakdown of the titles I've played.

I (PSP Port) : Not bad overall. Storyline's rather basic, but as far as classes and character development went, it was an excellent precursor to the Final Fantasy series.

IV (PSX Port) : Love this game. Storyline: amazing. Characters: amazing. Gameplay: amazing. No real complaints about this game.

V (PSX Port) : Also a great game. I LOVE how the job system worked on this one. No real complaints again.

VI (PSX Port) : I have yet to even insert this game into my PSX, but as far as I've read, massive roster of characters. I must say I'm quite excited to start this one. Again, no complaints.

VII : Great game. Don't really like the Materia system, but overall, a pretty good game. No complaints.

VIII : Junction's a bit iffy for me. It made leveling insanely easy at lower levels. (Junction 100 Death to attack. Fight the Dinosaur in the See-D Garden) No major complaints on this one though.

IX : Eh. Personally, I didn't notice too many things that stuck out in this one. Maybe it's because I haven't really played through it. I'll get back to you on this one.

X : Jesus Christ. My first FF game. I picked this up when I was in the fifth grade. Loved Blitzball to death. Sphere Grid is an AMAZING idea. No complaints for this game whatsoever.

X-2 : Eh. It was okay. My friends and I personally don't even count this as an FF title. Return of the Job system is a plus in my book, but the watered down Blitzball drew me away from it.

XII : A different game altogether. I was kinda saddened for the final FF title on the PS2 to be completely different from all the previous ones. Not a terrible game, but it lacked the FF feel.

Tactics (PSX) : Loved this game. It was quite a challenge for the age I got it at (We're looking at maybe 7 or 8 ). Technically my first FF title, but my second finish. Challenging to say the least. Character development was like no other. Albeit it was a little easy to level grind, It still provided hours upon hours of gameplay.

Tactics (PSP) : It took an already amazing title and managed to make it even greater. Co-op missions really made the game more enjoyable. If you loved the original, get this one. New classes. New characters. An amazing game overall.

Dissidia : I'm not sure if you're including this as an FF title, but as far as FF feel goes, it's not there. If I'm going to take away from XII for not feeling "FF enough" I have to do the same for Dissidia. Although the FF feel isn't there, the game is spectacular. It's amazing to see the match-ups you've only dreamed about.

I'm not sure about XI, XIII, or XIV, but I'm sure they each have their positives and negatives.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:59 pm
I disagree man. Ive played most of the Final Fantasy games. Not won but have played. And I have to say each of them has their up sides and their down sides. Even Final Fantasy 7 my faverite Final Fantasy has parts that I don't like. Yeah the newer games weren't as great as 7or 10 but they were still good in their own ways. And I enjoyed playing them. 12 yeah they got rid of the random battles but it was still good. I mean being able to pick your weapons for any character? Thats awesome. My guy doesn't have to be some sword weilding badA like many other games. I can have him go up and hit people over the head with a stick if I wanted to. I liked that freedom. (Still havn't gotten all the Vaan hate though I though he was a funny character) 13 was fun to. Yeah you could only control one character but I felt like there was a lot of stratagy involved with it. More than once I died becuase I hadn't set up my paridigms right and I liked that challenge. I mean how many FF games can you really die on random mobs? (Cept malboros of course those guys just suck) And of course all of the explosions throughout the game were pretty cool to. And just like 12 there was no set main character. I could be whoever I wanted to be and set up my team with the characters I liked. That was pretty cool. And the characters were awesome I was totally able to get into them. Not many games can do that to me. So really I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion.  

William Sstrider

Shirtless Gawker

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:03 am
I can't really say much about this because I haven't played all of them but it looks like a lot of them have spiky-haired annoying guys after number 6. I can say I liked 1,3,and 4. I'd say 9 too but I haven't finished that one because my brothers let their friend borrow it. -_-  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:13 am
ff7 is good, materia systemis not half bad ^^
ff8 was a good game, only thing that ruined it was that leveling-up-with-monsters thing ^^...too easy to play tho ^^
ff9 was good too, different jobs, different skills and many things to do beside the main story...
but ever since the ff10 came out, that something that made final fantasy an enjoyable game, started to dissapear, X-2 was awful, and 11, 12, 13, 14..those are not even final fantasy...not even by far...why would they do something like that...

Quote:
The license system was innovative, even if it sounds silly that you cant use a particular sword until you get a license for it. I prefer to think of it as you arent allowed to until you get the proper license.

i dont find it silly, its just...if they do a licence plate for a game, it would be nice if it was bigger and every character has it's own licence plate... no variety about characters...  

itainandatebayo

Clean Pants

13,725 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

TimithyEcho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 am
ozxander
I'm afraid i must partially disagree. Personally i liked 12. The gameplay wasnt the best but i liked the story. It was intriguing. And besides Vaan and Penelo, the characters were interesting. The license system was innovative, even if it sounds silly that you cant use a particular sword until you get a license for it. I prefer to think of it as you arent allowed to until you get the proper license. I will totally agree with you on 13 tho. It just didnt click at all with me. And i cant comment on 11 or 14 as ive never played them. I'm a WoW man myself blaugh

ehh to each there own but vaan had NO emotion at all, everything he said was pretty much for the most part in the same voice, not very good. the only guy who had any emotion in 12 were basch and 007.

the story i thought was crappy, the liscense system was bad the special system was BROKE!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:18 am
itainandatebayo
ff7 is good, materia systemis not half bad ^^
ff8 was a good game, only thing that ruined it was that leveling-up-with-monsters thing ^^...too easy to play tho ^^
ff9 was good too, different jobs, different skills and many things to do beside the main story...
but ever since the ff10 came out, that something that made final fantasy an enjoyable game, started to dissapear, X-2 was awful, and 11, 12, 13, 14..those are not even final fantasy...not even by far...why would they do something like that...

Quote:
The license system was innovative, even if it sounds silly that you cant use a particular sword until you get a license for it. I prefer to think of it as you arent allowed to until you get the proper license.

i dont find it silly, its just...if they do a licence plate for a game, it would be nice if it was bigger and every character has it's own licence plate... no variety about characters...

10 was still good, blitzball and everything was really good. the sphere grid i thought was great. but i agree that everything after 10 was ....BLAH  

TimithyEcho

TimithyEcho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:28 am
William Sstrider
I disagree man. Ive played most of the Final Fantasy games. Not won but have played. And I have to say each of them has their up sides and their down sides. Even Final Fantasy 7 my faverite Final Fantasy has parts that I don't like. Yeah the newer games weren't as great as 7or 10 but they were still good in their own ways. And I enjoyed playing them. 12 yeah they got rid of the random battles but it was still good. I mean being able to pick your weapons for any character? Thats awesome. My guy doesn't have to be some sword weilding badA like many other games. I can have him go up and hit people over the head with a stick if I wanted to. I liked that freedom. (Still havn't gotten all the Vaan hate though I though he was a funny character) 13 was fun to. Yeah you could only control one character but I felt like there was a lot of stratagy involved with it. More than once I died becuase I hadn't set up my paridigms right and I liked that challenge. I mean how many FF games can you really die on random mobs? (Cept malboros of course those guys just suck) And of course all of the explosions throughout the game were pretty cool to. And just like 12 there was no set main character. I could be whoever I wanted to be and set up my team with the characters I liked. That was pretty cool. And the characters were awesome I was totally able to get into them. Not many games can do that to me. So really I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion.

see i see what your saying and it cool you like it but over all they still dont compare (to my favorite 8 and 10)

like ok

12- no set main character, cool i guess

no set main weapon (thats good)

no random battles: this is just annoying i love random battles and i dont want to have to try and manuver myself around a big enemys thats 40 levels higher then me just so i can get to somewhere that might lead nowhere

characters with like no emotion, vaan wasnt emotional at all, only people with emotion where basch and 007 wanna be.

liscence system sucked. hey guys i found some armour...o i cant wear it till im liscenced to. even though the goverment wants me dead.. WHY LISENCE IT!

another thing 12 was MAJORLY on politics.

13: main character dies game over... UM WHAT?! i have someone on medic that has the raise skill... HEY BUDDY USE THE D*MN THING!!!!

once again no random battles

WAY TOO LINEAR

thre are 13 chapters in this game you didnt get to change your party until chapter (either 8,9, or 10 not sure of which exactly) GREAT I DONT GET TO CHANGE MY PARTY UNTIL MORE THEN HAVE THE GAME IS OVER!!!

NOT TO MENTION THE SUMMONS TRANSFORMING INTO VEHICLES OR SORTS WAS JUST STUPID!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 pm
I like to think that Final Fantasy is following the Disney path. You start out with stuff like Snow White -- Awesome for it's time, kind of bland now. But that's okay, because it's what jump-started everything. Then VI/VII through IX/X was the Disney Renaissance -- y'know, the nineties, basically, when they made all the awesome ones like The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast.... Then they started making junk like Home on the Range, and Cars.

So... Well, by no means am I saying that the latest Final Fantasy games are that bad. I did like XII and XIII, and I even liked X-2 to an extent. It's just that you can't always have a company making total hits. And you know, even Disney eventually realized what was going on, and since then we've had Princess and the Frog and Tangled, which are amazing if I do say so. So hopefully we'll just get a Tangled equivalent in Final Fantasy next.

...But seriously, I don't think the trend is nearly as pronounced as it is in Disney. I agree with some of the other people who posted in that the "golden age" of Final Fantasy was far from perfect. I mean, as much as I love VIII, as time goes on, I just keep finding more and more things wrong with the plot. And like I said, I do like the newer ones too. XIII especially had its problems, but I do love a lot of things about it -- the characters were mostly quite good, I personally liked most aspects of the battle system, and while the story was a little underdeveloped, what was there was good.

In a way, too, Final Fantasy has been kind of forced to develop the way it has. I was thinking yesterday... I was reading this article online that was talking about how you can't really call XIII even an RPG anymore. And how that's because RPGs just don't sell on consoles. Of course they've got all the hardcore Final Fantasy people who will buy it, but most gamers just aren't into it. confused And so the gameplay, at least, has been forced into something more action-oriented. That can't account for the storylines or anything (at least not directly), but it definitely has to be taken into consideration. It kind of makes me sad. sad  

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

TimithyEcho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 am
Ravenwolf
I like to think that Final Fantasy is following the Disney path. You start out with stuff like Snow White -- Awesome for it's time, kind of bland now. But that's okay, because it's what jump-started everything. Then VI/VII through IX/X was the Disney Renaissance -- y'know, the nineties, basically, when they made all the awesome ones like The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast.... Then they started making junk like Home on the Range, and Cars.

So... Well, by no means am I saying that the latest Final Fantasy games are that bad. I did like XII and XIII, and I even liked X-2 to an extent. It's just that you can't always have a company making total hits. And you know, even Disney eventually realized what was going on, and since then we've had Princess and the Frog and Tangled, which are amazing if I do say so. So hopefully we'll just get a Tangled equivalent in Final Fantasy next.

...But seriously, I don't think the trend is nearly as pronounced as it is in Disney. I agree with some of the other people who posted in that the "golden age" of Final Fantasy was far from perfect. I mean, as much as I love VIII, as time goes on, I just keep finding more and more things wrong with the plot. And like I said, I do like the newer ones too. XIII especially had its problems, but I do love a lot of things about it -- the characters were mostly quite good, I personally liked most aspects of the battle system, and while the story was a little underdeveloped, what was there was good.

In a way, too, Final Fantasy has been kind of forced to develop the way it has. I was thinking yesterday... I was reading this article online that was talking about how you can't really call XIII even an RPG anymore. And how that's because RPGs just don't sell on consoles. Of course they've got all the hardcore Final Fantasy people who will buy it, but most gamers just aren't into it. confused And so the gameplay, at least, has been forced into something more action-oriented. That can't account for the storylines or anything (at least not directly), but it definitely has to be taken into consideration. It kind of makes me sad. sad

well see every story has its problems. its just like that. however for you to make 12 and 13 going SEVERLY off course and make 12. and then make 13 realizing "ok we done goofed with 12" and still be bad. just look back at the big ones everyone liked 6-10 (i could personally do without 6 and 7) hell i had damn near lost hope in RPG's untill i played persona 3 FES. and one of my all time favorites rpg wise, legend of dragoon. no offence i love ff8 and 10 but i believe legend of dragoon beats ALL final fantasy games. (*bracing for hate*)

all this aside it seemed with 13 they just wanted to make it look pretty, i want to try versus 13 but i dont wanna spend 60 bucks on a game thats only selling points are its pretty and the game maker says it wont be linear like 13 was.

just make a good story that will draw you in and keep you interested. not make you go "oh....well thats kinda neat...i guess" 20 hours into the game  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 am
just thinking out loud but...what if the big brain behind sucessful final fantasy series got fired or just decided to leave?... that may be the reason why they became so bad ^^ still it would be nice if they made another final fantasy for ps2...as a compensation for X-2 and 12 ^^  

itainandatebayo

Clean Pants

13,725 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

FebruaryLiege

5,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm
itainandatebayo
just thinking out loud but...what if the big brain behind sucessful final fantasy series got fired or just decided to leave?... that may be the reason why they became so bad ^^ still it would be nice if they made another final fantasy for ps2...as a compensation for X-2 and 12 ^^

This forever. I'd love to see an old school style gameplay with something like the dissidia roster but with a revamped storyline and graphics that the PS2 can handle (Instead of the old school 8-bit stuffs) >___<  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:56 pm
well yeah...my thoughts exactly ^^ they could take much more out of ps2...but they just don't use its capabilities -_- so many half assed games...
btw i've been thinking...if zack got his own game(core), vincent too(dirge f cerberus), chocobos had its own game(chocobo racing), even friggin yuna got her own game( X-2)... will they ever do a game about sephiroth? XD  

itainandatebayo

Clean Pants

13,725 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

TimithyEcho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 pm
itainandatebayo
well yeah...my thoughts exactly ^^ they could take much more out of ps2...but they just don't use its capabilities -_- so many half assed games...
btw i've been thinking...if zack got his own game(core), vincent too(dirge f cerberus), chocobos had its own game(chocobo racing), even friggin yuna got her own game( X-2)... will they ever do a game about sephiroth? XD

look spin offs are nice and fun (well not really) but this is really mainly about the main series.

but on the topic of spin offs, blitz ball game would be nice, a bit more about genesis would be f*ckin appreciated.  
Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff