Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IDK WTF Im Doing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:31 am
User Image

its a rifle that can fit into the stock of it. I found it blondering around

Survival Ar-7  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:37 am
Yeah I've got an AR-7 and they're pretty good. Unfortunately I've misplaced the stock and barrel. We ordered a collapsing stock and a heavy barrel for it online but it's back ordered so I've got no idea when it's coming in.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

IDK WTF Im Doing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:49 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Yeah I've got an AR-7 and they're pretty good. Unfortunately I've misplaced the stock and barrel. We ordered a collapsing stock and a heavy barrel for it online but it's back ordered so I've got no idea when it's coming in.
how much did all that cost?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:02 am
My grandpa got the rifle before I was born so I'm not sure how much they cost brand new. The stock and barrel cost $120. For another $20 we got a red dot sight for it.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:34 am
contemplated one once...saw one up close and felt a lil iffy about it. then I did some research.

picky with ammo and the barrel and sights are accurate out to maybe 50 yards.

the steel barrel is thin and surrounded with polymer or fiberglass mix of some sort and it can warp. its part of the ultra light plastic / aluminum design

I would consider spending just a little bit extra on one of the other take down rifles available.

if you were to get one, replacing the barrel with a solid steel one and feeding it nothing but high velocity ammo should be a priority... but you might as well buy two of them at that point

a .22 revolver can get you about the same if not better accuracy and is at least 3 times more portable.
after weighing out the benefits and after a lot of research I opted for a used H&R 929 instead.

theres also the marlin papoose takedown rifle.

another thing you have to worry about takedown rifles though is the threads... you can't really replace those and they are going to gradually wear, especially if it's aluminum  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:38 am
Das Rabble Rouser
My grandpa got the rifle before I was born so I'm not sure how much they cost brand new. The stock and barrel cost $120. For another $20 we got a red dot sight for it.
its good that you didnt have to pay for it at least.

but you went out and spent a whole 'nother AR7's worth of cash on one AR7 gonk

either way, a free gun is always good to have no matter what it is.

if I had one for free i'd probably keep it inside one of my jeep panels next to my MRE's and store it for it's intended use should I ever need it.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
contemplated one once...saw one up close and felt a lil iffy about it. then I did some research.

the steel barrel is thin and surrounded with polymer or fiberglass mix of some sort and it can warp. its part of the ultra light plastic / aluminum design

I would consider spending just a little bit extra on one of the other take down rifles available.

if you were to get one, replacing the barrel with a solid steel one and feeding it nothing but high velocity ammo should be a priority... but you might as well buy two of them at that point

a .22 revolver can get you about the same if not better accuracy and is at least 3 times more portable.
after weighing out the benefits and after a lot of research I opted for a used H&R 929 instead.

another thing you have to worry about takedown rifles though is the threads... you can't really replace those and they are going to gradually wear, especially if it's aluminum
It might vary by manufacturer. I got one of the ones made by Charter Arms rather than Henry. I've used several brands of ammunition and it has never jammed on me.

The barrel that came with it was solid metal rather than the polymer with a steel insert you mentioned. There are several different barrels you can get here. Part #70 was the one that came with the one we got and there's not a touch of polymer anywhere in that barrel.

As for accuracy I can't remember how accurate the rifle is since it's been years since I used the rifle and back then I was very inexperienced with guns but I've heard other owners say it's pretty good at accuracy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Recon_Ninja_985

It might vary by manufacturer. I got one of the ones made by Charter Arms rather than Henry. I've used several brands of ammunition and it has never jammed on me.

The barrel that came with it was solid metal rather than the polymer with a steel insert you mentioned. There are several different barrels you can get here. Part #70 was the one that came with the one we got and there's not a touch of polymer anywhere in that barrel.

As for accuracy I can't remember how accurate the rifle is since it's been years since I used the rifle and back then I was very inexperienced with guns but I've heard other owners say it's pretty good at accuracy.
your grandpa probably bought an aftermarket barrel for it and threw away the plastic covered one?  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:09 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Das Rabble Rouser
Recon_Ninja_985

your grandpa probably bought an aftermarket barrel for it and threw away the plastic covered one?
I doubt that. Just a few days ago when he ordered the parts online he first discovered the plastic barrel. He said he never saw anything like it before.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:22 pm
I've been seriously considering getting one, but the fragility and meltability of the stock plastic barrel makes me a bit wary. Plinking is fun and all, but I'd like to magdump every now and then without worrying about bricking my rifle.

And before you say it, no Papoose. I want the AR because the whole thing packs away snugly into the stock, not some retarded foam case.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:37 pm
The stock isn't going to melt unless you throw it in a fire. The action would have to get hot enough to seriously burn your hand before it will melt the stock. As for the plastic barrel I think I've said enough about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
The stock isn't going to melt unless you throw it in a fire. The action would have to get hot enough to seriously burn your hand before it will melt the stock. As for the plastic barrel I think I've said enough about it.
"Stock plastic barrel". The stock and action are fine, I just worry about the barrel getting hot and starting to droop.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:49 pm
For the last time when we purchased ours it did NOT come with a plastic barrel. DID NOT COME WITH A PLASTIC BARREL.

DID NOT COME WITH A PLASTIC BARREL.

Even if you find one that does come with a plastic barrel you can get another barrel for it that doesn't contain plastic for $50.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:29 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
For the last time when we purchased ours it did NOT come with a plastic barrel. DID NOT COME WITH A PLASTIC BARREL.

DID NOT COME WITH A PLASTIC BARREL.

Even if you find one that does come with a plastic barrel you can get another barrel for it that doesn't contain plastic for $50.
Alright, fine. But they were never manufactured that way, AFAIK. And in any case, I'm looking at buying a factory-new Henry, which DOES come with a plastic barrel, and I'm worried about it warping. I could buy a steel barrel, but I really don't want to have to buy extra parts to make the gun work the way it should out of the box, and I'm certain any aftermarket barrel wouldn't have the New-For-2010 Henry HiViz front sight on it, which is another of the features I like about it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:18 pm
******** you Fres, the PAPOOSE is better!
I can say that having owned an early 2010 Henry and hating the s**t out of it. I liked the Papoose much better. The case gives you much more options, and it's not like it's a ********' mosin-sized case. It's tiny. it's barely wider than the little folding plastic crap that the AR-7 comes in. The 70-P comes out to be a much thinner rifle with a metal barrel from the factory. The case also means you can take more than two mags. On in the gun and one in the stock. Only the 10 round will fit in the stock.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff