Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm
we all know about the suits that enhance soldiers such as in the video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UpxsrlLbpU

they have tons of potential potential to make a fighting armored suit.

the technology is already here to make it happen, all that needs to be done:

-armor the suit and soldier heavily
-integrate armament
and you have basically created an all dominating combat juggernaut.

a good mix of firepower would be a 134 (or other MG) on one arm and a mk19 on the other.

the use of this is that the suits can go where vehicles cant, and can serve very closely along infantry in rough terrain and even in narrow areas of city fighting.

a lot smaller than what we saw on avatar but probably much more useful.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:03 pm
Well, the biggest problem right now is batteries. As it stands, we can't give it more than 15-30 minutes of battery life. They're re-working the suit bit by bit to lower power consumption. I think I heard they're down 40% from the original design. I like the idea of heavily arming them, but there's a couple problems with it. I'd love to go the M134 route, but it seems too fast. All the ammo would have to be carried on the arm, so you can't carry a lot in one load. Maybe it's time for the Six-Pack XM214 to come back?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 pm
Fresnel
Well, the biggest problem right now is batteries. As it stands, we can't give it more than 15-30 minutes of battery life. They're re-working the suit bit by bit to lower power consumption. I think I heard they're down 40% from the original design. I like the idea of heavily arming them, but there's a couple problems with it. I'd love to go the M134 route, but it seems too fast. All the ammo would have to be carried on the arm, so you can't carry a lot in one load. Maybe it's time for the Six-Pack XM214 to come back?
can always go with a backpack generator  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
You mean the ones you fill with gasoline?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
why not?

we fill hummvees with gasoline....

plus you can armor that too, leave only an opening for air intake tubes etc.
generator power for a suit shouldnt be a problem

s**t doesnt blow up just from getting shot.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
why not?

It might not blow up, but it can certainly leak (and ignite if it catches a spark), and I would rather not go into battle doused in gasoline.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 am
The only possible way I can think is to tether it to a tank or APC with a generator mounted on that to carry the load. Then the power-armored guy could provide tank support on patrols.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
why not?

It might not blow up, but it can certainly leak (and ignite if it catches a spark), and I would rather not go into battle doused in gasoline.
thats why I said it should be armored

quite a few military vehicles are already protected against leaks anyways. called self sealing.
problem solved and double insured.

the generator doesnt even need to be that big....  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 am
ArmasTermin
The only possible way I can think is to tether it to a tank or APC with a generator mounted on that to carry the load. Then the power-armored guy could provide tank support on patrols.
if it can carry over 200 pounds it can deal with the combined weight of armor,weapon/s and an independent reliable power supply

no need to trip over evangelion style cables  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 am
Recon_Ninja_985
ArmasTermin
if it can carry over 200 pounds it can deal with the combined weight of armor,weapon/s and an independent reliable power supply

Consider this... if you can carry over 200 pounds, and 200 pounds of battery lasts fifteen minutes, how big would the generator have to be?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:36 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
ArmasTermin

Consider this... if you can carry over 200 pounds, and 200 pounds of battery lasts fifteen minutes, how big would the generator have to be?
no no, the suit itself with the batteries can lift over 200 pounds. not 200 pound batteries. hell if it was 100 pounds of battery it could probably run for over an hour

anyway. a generator that can match the voltage should be able to supply constant power as long as the engine's running...hopefully  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:13 am
I think it would be too large and bulky and difficult to power using strictly modern technology. Give it 20-50 years, and miniaturization technology may then make something like this feasible. I don't like the idea of attaching weapons to the suit, however. I think the suit should be designed to carry weapons in the same manner a human does. That way weapons could be reloaded easily (you will NOT be able to store sufficient ammunition in the arm itself, and trying to load ammunition into an arm mounted weapon will be somewhat awkward, especially in combat), and switched simply by dropping one and picking up another. Electro-magnets could be used to make sure they are not accidentally lost in the heat of combat.  

Private Sanders

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 am
Jackie Flores
I think it would be too large and bulky and difficult to power using strictly modern technology. Give it 20-50 years, and miniaturization technology may then make something like this feasible. I don't like the idea of attaching weapons to the suit, however. I think the suit should be designed to carry weapons in the same manner a human does. That way weapons could be reloaded easily (you will NOT be able to store sufficient ammunition in the arm itself, and trying to load ammunition into an arm mounted weapon will be somewhat awkward, especially in combat), and switched simply by dropping one and picking up another. Electro-magnets could be used to make sure they are not accidentally lost in the heat of combat.

if it ever does become an issue, this is remedied by link guides already in use with aircraft and can be stored from a source somewhere else on the suit. like the thigh

dont need electromagnets that draw even more power and that weapons can be bumped off of when you can affix them to the suit as you would with anything else.

instead of mounting something in the first place, I'm starting to like the idea of putting a weapon directly into the hands of the operator so he can use anything. maybe a smaller weapon too, but still kick a**. like a 240 bravo. no need for precision mounting or anything of that matter.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 pm
internal / semi external generator = lots of heat... this could be a good thing if we (ha, we, i mean u Americans, because Canada would never spend money on this xp ) fought in siberia.... less good anywhere else in the world... middle east? 110F heat + a lawn mower on ur back may get a little heat stroke-y

for this idea to be feasible batteries need to get like 10x better... power storage is basically the only limiting thing in technology right now... we have the ideas and capabilities to build anything... just not to power it to do what we want it to do... at least not for more than 5 mins off a wire

i know, we could have like a golf cart follow it around with a super charged induction charger mounted to it that constantly recharges the suits batteries... suit would be made of lead to keep the soldier from microwaving tho, leading to a net gain in strength of about 5 lbs xd  

Maddness91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Jackie Flores

if it ever does become an issue, this is remedied by link guides already in use with aircraft and can be stored from a source somewhere else on the suit. like the thigh

dont need electromagnets that draw even more power and that weapons can be bumped off of when you can affix them to the suit as you would with anything else.

instead of mounting something in the first place, I'm starting to like the idea of putting a weapon directly into the hands of the operator so he can use anything. maybe a smaller weapon too, but still kick a**. like a 240 bravo. no need for precision mounting or anything of that matter.
Link guides don't have to deal with elbows, shoulders, and the full range of motion that comes with those things. It's part of why I never understood Battletech. HMM, I'VE GOT AN AUTOCANNON IN MY RIGHT HAND, BUT THE ONLY EMPTY CRITICAL SPACE IS IN MY LEFT FOOT. I'LL JUST PUT THE AMMO THERE.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff