CCW is easier than I thought. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:05 am
I thought it would cost a couple hundred to get my CCW as well as classes. In Oregon all I need is $15 for a background check and a $50 application/exam fee. Hot damn that's good.

On the other hand if you're convicted of a misdemeanor you're automatically ineligible. That blows. Fortunately I haven't been convicted of one.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:34 am
...yet. User Image

Out here, you have to take a class, which generally runs $90-100, and pay another $60 on top of that for the actual license. The class instructors fingerprint you, and the Dept. of Public Safety does the checks and paperwork and such. It's not bad, considering that anyone who can own a gun can get a CCW, but it's a bit on the expensive side.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 am
out here, if you served within the past 5 years or so you dont need to take a class at all and go straight to applying for your permit.

I'll get around to applying for it eventually when I get a smaller, lighter pistol  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:45 pm
Oh another requirement. I have to be competent with a gun. This might be a deal breaker. User Image

First I need to get a gun I feel good about carrying. So far we have the luger or the jennings. Both of those are just .22 though. Then there's the .32 revolver when and if the gunsmith ever gets around to fixing it. I need to find employment so I can afford at least a 9mm then I want to get a lot of practice in. I haven't done much shooting in my life and I want to be confident of my aim before I go for the CCW.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Oh another requirement. I have to be competent with a gun. This might be a deal breaker. User Image

First I need to get a gun I feel good about carrying. So far we have the luger or the jennings. Both of those are just .22 though. Then there's the .32 revolver when and if the gunsmith ever gets around to fixing it. I need to find employment so I can afford at least a 9mm then I want to get a lot of practice in. I haven't done much shooting in my life and I want to be confident of my aim before I go for the CCW.
...why do you own a Jennings? xd  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:23 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser

My grandpa bought it. xd What Armas said about the Jennings now comes to mind.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser

Jennings is Russian Roulette with a semi-auto. Point it at the other guy, pull the trigger, and your chances are about the same.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser

Jennings is Russian Roulette with a semi-auto. Point it at the other guy, pull the trigger, and your chances are about the same.
I haven't had any problems with it yet.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:30 pm
evilstare.jpg stare

lucky bastards. I want CCW too. crying  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:40 pm
Fresnel
...yet. User Image

Out here, you have to take a class, which generally runs $90-100, and pay another $60 on top of that for the actual license. The class instructors fingerprint you, and the Dept. of Public Safety does the checks and paperwork and such. It's not bad, considering that anyone who can own a gun can get a CCW, but it's a bit on the expensive side.
That should be the way it is everywhere. I love my homeland of California to death, but this whole "You may only get a CCW if you are a government official with reason to believe you may be targeted or, if you are a civilian, someone is actively threatening your life" is bullshit.  

Private Sanders

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 pm
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
...yet. User Image

That should be the way it is everywhere. I love my homeland of California to death, but this whole "You may only get a CCW if you are a government official with reason to believe you may be targeted or, if you are a civilian, someone is actively threatening your life" is bullshit.
Hawaii is like that. They'll only issue if you can prove that your life is actively in danger. They have never issued one single CCW to average citizens.

Out here, if you want it, don't have a felony or disqualifying mental illness, can pass the course and qualify, and pay the fee, it's yours.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:51 pm
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
...yet. User Image

Hawaii is like that. They'll only issue if you can prove that your life is actively in danger. They have never issued one single CCW to average citizens.

Out here, if you want it, don't have a felony or disqualifying mental illness, can pass the course and qualify, and pay the fee, it's yours.
Didn't Texas institute a policy like this and have violent crime drop substantially?  

Private Sanders

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:10 pm
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
...yet. User Image

Didn't Texas institute a policy like this and have violent crime drop substantially?
Knowing Texas, they've always had that policy.

Did I mention that the only real difference between having a CCW and not having a CCW is that with it, you can drive through a school zone with an unlocked gun? But I think you have to trade out the ignorance defense, so it's a toss-up, really.

ETA: Oh, and I think that without a CCW, you aren't legally required to tell a cop you're carrying if he asks, but I could be wrong there.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm
Man of the Demoneye
evilstare.jpg stare

I haven't gotten mine either. I'm just saying it's easier to get than I thought.

Also: Guilds is starting to annoy me. I hit the quote time 4 times before it would quote you. The other 3 times it just refreshed the page.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:45 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Man of the Demoneye
evilstare.jpg stare

I haven't gotten mine either. I'm just saying it's easier to get than I thought.

Also: Guilds is starting to annoy me. I hit the quote time 4 times before it would quote you. The other 3 times it just refreshed the page.

It's not really about not getting it yet, it's about being able to get it at all. Marylandistan is basically California-east. Even with proof of an active threat against you, you are still lucky to get a one time permit. We are trying to fight it, and getting closer, but it's still a loooooong fight ahead.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff