Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:56 am
For the longest time I entertained the thought of a 14.5mm sniper. So far only two rifles I know of are chambered in it. PTRS and PTRD.

It would just make my ******** lifetime if somebody like McMillan Bros. created a precision sniper rifle using this massive anti tank round.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 am
The Denel NTW-20 is primarily a 20mm, but with a quick barrel and bolt swap can be changed to 14.5 for longer-ranged work.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:31 am
Fresnel
The Denel NTW-20 is primarily a 20mm, but with a quick barrel and bolt swap can be changed to 14.5 for longer-ranged work.

Now I know what Bungie based the sniper rifile off of.

Sadly a PTRD gets better range than this thing does. Hell a .338 gets better range.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:44 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

Sadly a PTRD gets better range than this thing does. Hell a .338 gets better range.
Yes, but does .338 get you 20MM TO THE FACE?

I like the idea of a 20mm for breaking s**t, a .50 cal for breaking smaller s**t and long range work, a bolt action 7.62mm for normal work, a semi-automatic 7.62mm for normal work, and a modified assault rifle for marksman work.  

Private Sanders

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 am
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

I like the idea of a 20mm for breaking s**t, a .50 cal for breaking smaller s**t and long range work, a bolt action 7.62mm for normal work, a semi-automatic 7.62mm for normal work, and a modified assault rifle for marksman work.

You do know that .338 Lapua has proven itself effective against personnel at the same ranges as .50 right?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 am
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

Honey, we got Barrett XM109s in 25mm that get the same ranges with shorter barrels compared to their .50 brethren and they trash s**t better than 20mm.

A 14.5mm is known for being the most effective anti tank round of the day. Penetrating up to 40mm of solid steel armor. However they have more potential for shooting human targets at over 2 miles away than their armor piercing capabilities.

Don't get me wrong the 14.5mm can still trash a 6x6 with a single shot to the engine block from a mile away better than a .50BMG can.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:04 am
Lt Buckner
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

You do know that .338 Lapua has proven itself effective against personnel at the same ranges as .50 right?
In the right hands of course.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:08 am
Lt Buckner
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

I was making a joke. I'm well aware that the biggest bullet isn't necessarily the deadliest.  

Private Sanders

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:09 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

Honey, we got Barrett XM109s in 25mm that get the same ranges with shorter barrels compared to their .50 brethren and they trash s**t better than 20mm.

A 14.5mm is known for being the most effective anti tank round of the day. Penetrating up to 40mm of solid steel armor. However they have more potential for shooting human targets at over 2 miles away than their armor piercing capabilities.

Don't get me wrong the 14.5mm can still trash a 6x6 with a single shot to the engine block from a mile away better than a .50BMG can.
What's the range on this 25mm round?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 am
Lt Buckner
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

Isn't Lapua really expensive, though?  

Private Sanders

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 am
Private Sanders
Lt Buckner
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

Isn't Lapua really expensive, though?
$5 a pop.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 am
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Private Sanders
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

What's the range on this 25mm round?
According to wiki and 2nd hand review sites. The same as a .50BMG but the 25mm is fired from a shorter barrel than it's .50BMG brethren and still gets the same range.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:39 am

Okay bear with me again, people. This is a PTRD. It's a single shot rifle in the 14.5mm round and is by far the most accurate rifle chambered in the round but it can be refined and made much more accurate to farther ranges with a better barrel construction and a sight rail. It's pretty impressive without refinement considering the fact that most were made in auto body shops.

Add on a more modern muzzle brake, a detachable box mag feed system holding at least 3-5 rounds, and a suppressor capability to bring it up to speed with the more modern rifles in similar heavy calibers.

It's far superior to a PTRS which is the 5 round semi auto version that uses an operating system similar to an SVT and an SKS which is sacrificing it's potential.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

The PTRD doesn't break into major components using only a 20mm round as a wrench, and store in a backpack for trekking into the most "there's no ******** way there's a sniper there" places.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:35 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

The PTRD doesn't break into major components using only a 20mm round as a wrench, and store in a backpack for trekking into the most "there's no ******** way there's a sniper there" places.
*Facepalm* Fresnel, horrible ******** range for the round it's firing.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff