Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Deities Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 pm
Hello people! I need some names of Deities who are viewed as the goddess and God of Wicca. I have two pairings:

Cernnunos and Epona
and Isis and Ra Osiris

I want to do some research on deities, so please, give me names or references which can help me out. I'm not asking for the ACTUAL names of the Goddess and God, just some deities I can use within ritual and meditation.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:27 pm
Does it matter from which land/culture or whatsoever they come from?  

pompoennetje

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:32 pm
Dianda Panda
Does it matter from which land/culture or whatsoever they come from?

I'm looking for mostly Birtish/Cetlic deities, but other ones are okay, too ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:38 pm
Izanagi - Izanami (Japanese)
That's all I can find at the moment.  

pompoennetje

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm
You can't be told the names of the God and Goddess of Wicca until you become an initiate. No other deities are the same as they. Anything you try to use as an 'equivalent' is not going to be the same. Unless the people who share their views with you are actual initiates, whatever answer you get will not be correct - and frankly no initiate is going to break their vows on account of your desires to know.

Also, deities can't be swapped in and out for each other like hot-swappable devices - consider cultural appropriateness and the ritual in question. Not all cultures had the same holidays or reasons for celebrating the same days. You have to consider whether the deities you're calling (assuming you're working in Wiccan-flavoured Neo-pagan ritual) are appropriate for each other, and would be pleased to be paired as sexual partners. Quite often, the answer is 'No'.

I don't know how Isis would be happy paired with Ra - she is married, and extremely devoted to her husband Osiris. She literally went to the ends of the earth for him.

I don't know buckets about the Gaulish deities. I do know that Epona is more properly Romano-Gallic. She was incorporated into the cult of the Emperor, at one point, and her role in Gallic culture changed a lot from Roman contact. Again, Cernunnos is a very wild god. I don't know how much they have in common.

It's good that you're not trying to mix pantheons. But if you're going to try to come up with pairings of deities within specific cultures, just don't guess, or grab at things that match the concepts in your head. Do some research - read their myths. You may find some deities are already married, as with Isis. You may find that though they have the 'properties' you desire to invoke, that their personality or their stories are not a good fit for your rite - or they're so opposite the other deity you're trying to pair them with that it's just not a good idea. And try to verify your own feelings and correspondances for the deity in question with their lore - modern thoughts on some gods and goddesses are sometimes really really different from their historical ones.

I realize you're probably trying to get as close as possible to Wicca, but honestly, you just can't. Outside of being old enough to properly Seek with a legitimate coven, and actually doing the work, there's no way you can find out who our Gods are and how to serve Them. Do yourself a favour and relax. You have years to figure all of this out, including Seeking. Don't force the issue, and you may find the Gods come to you, rather than you putting them in roles they don't fit.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 pm
Morgandria
You can't be told the names of the God and Goddess of Wicca until you become an initiate. No other deities are the same as they. Anything you try to use as an 'equivalent' is not going to be the same. Unless the people who share their views with you are actual initiates, whatever answer you get will not be correct - and frankly no initiate is going to break their vows on account of your desires to know.

Also, deities can't be swapped in and out for each other like hot-swappable devices - consider cultural appropriateness and the ritual in question. Not all cultures had the same holidays or reasons for celebrating the same days. You have to consider whether the deities you're calling (assuming you're working in Wiccan-flavoured Neo-pagan ritual) are appropriate for each other, and would be pleased to be paired as sexual partners. Quite often, the answer is 'No'.

I don't know how Isis would be happy paired with Ra - she is married, and extremely devoted to her husband Osiris. She literally went to the ends of the earth for him.

I don't know buckets about the Gaulish deities. I do know that Epona is more properly Romano-Gallic. She was incorporated into the cult of the Emperor, at one point, and her role in Gallic culture changed a lot from Roman contact. Again, Cernunnos is a very wild god. I don't know how much they have in common.

I realize you're probably trying to get as close as possible to Wicca, but honestly, you just can't. Outside of being old enough to properly Seek with a legitimate coven, and actually doing the work, there's no way you can find out who our Gods are and how to serve Them. Do yourself a favour and relax. You have years to figure all of this out, including Seeking. Don't force the issue, and you may find the Gods come to you, rather than you putting them in roles they don't fit.

I'm only looking for Deities I can see if I can work with.

I'll carry on my path, but I'm just seeing if I can find a dual deity.

I'm trying to find a deity couple I can work with as my Goddess and God. I'm exploring, searching.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

I'm trying to find a deity couple I can work with as my Goddess and God. I'm exploring, searching.

You don't need a "dual deity". It is wrong to look for a deity couple that you can "work with as your Goddess and God". Other deities don't slip into alien rituals well. They should not be viewed as potential candidates to fill roles of different gods.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:13 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Morgandria

Alright, I'm confused. If you are looking for any deities then why did you specifically ask about the Wiccan god and goddess? Also, why do you feel you need to find a god and a goddess?  

HorsesOfTheNight

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
[

You've made some massive assumptions in doing this, then.

1) Don't assume you're meant to have a ditheistic faith. You may find just one deity calls you. Or a whole pantheon. Or none at all, since we are not all meant to have personal patron deities.

2) Don't assume your path is going to be fertility-based. Don't assume it's going to be heterocentric. You simply can't - you don't know what lies ahead of you. Putting limits on your opportunties and experiences because of your own expectations will kill your spiritual or religious progress. 'Nothing is forbidden - everything is permitted."

Stop looking. What you're doing is a form of tunnel vision - you're blinding yourself. We find things in life - unexpected, glorious, transformative experiences, when we stop building walls out of our wants and needs and desires and expectations, and just let things come to us. Look at everything. Try things before ruling them out. If something catches your eye, explore it. Be thoughtful. Be -mindful-. Have patience. It's ok to make mistakes, but that doesn't mean you can't work to try to avoid mistakes, either.

And not to be ageist, but you're 14. You have so much time ahead of you, that you can afford not to rush this. I'm more than twice your age, and I'm still learning new and wonderful things about the world around me, my faith, my spirituality, and my practice. You never stop learning - unless you stop experiencing. Right now everything is a blank slate for you - and that's scary, and wonderful at the same time. Let things come to you - don't be in a hurry to mark up your slate.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:38 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

Everyone else got to the meat of the situation more- but I wanted to add something:

I can't speak for anyone else- but I feel a little frustrated because all the posts I've been making towards your questions (and have seen others make) for months now seem to have been cherry picked- with things that don't fit your formula being ignored.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:17 pm
Quote:
just some deities I can use within ritual and meditation.

Aaand we're back to this again, as well. (Emphasis mine.) I don't think I have the interest in repeating myself on this subject.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:04 pm
@Sang: I see. So if I worked with, say, an Egyptian god in a circle, it would offend them, and also seem alien to them?

@Horses: I feel calling on nameless deities can be a bad risk, and I sometimes feel like I'm working with nothing.

@Morgandria: You've opened my eyes a bit. Thank you. Now I see it all differently. I'm limiting potential on my path by making those presumptions. So patience is the key. That's the thing I have a problem with ._. I need to learn to be patient. I'll let it come. I won't rush it.

Thanks for the advice and insight. It's a been a great help, really.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

CursedExile

Dangerous Werewolf

6,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:58 pm
Depends what your dogma is. I am partial to Diana and Cernunnos. I feel a particularly special connection to Diana/Artemis. Just google goddesses and gods and if you like what you read then delve deeper into researching that particular deity. Get to know them and if they are compatible with you then ask them to accept you as your patron. Keeping in sight of course if you apart of a coven or you practice solitary craft.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
@Sang: I see. So if I worked with, say, an Egyptian god in a circle, it would offend them, and also seem alien to them?

@Horses: I feel calling on nameless deities can be a bad risk, and I sometimes feel like I'm working with nothing.

I genuinely don't know enough about Egyptian ritual form to give you much feedback there, to be honest. I don't think the concept of a circle as such is the thing so much as the ceremonial framework commonly used within them.

Your concern is an honest one, but your way of solving it is not the right way to go about it. I think you should concentrate on reading more for the time being. Morg is right - patience is the key at the moment. I know that's difficult particularly when you're young and have found something exciting.

CursedExile
Depends what your dogma is. I am partial to Diana and Cernunnos. I feel a particularly special connection to Diana/Artemis. Just google goddesses and gods and if you like what you read then delve deeper into researching that particular deity. Get to know them and if they are compatible with you then ask them to accept you as your patron. Keeping in sight of course if you apart of a coven or you practice solitary craft.

We've actually discussed the issues presented about inviting Diana and Cernunnos into the same circle. It's likely to be highly offensive to both gods to pair them together - Diana is a virgin goddess, Cernunnos a god with a large phallus. Diana is Roman, Cernunnos is what she would consider a "barbarian".  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
What I know about Egyptian gods isn't much- but I know that there are things that were banned from the temple for being unclean, including animal products like wool, blood and stuff.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games