Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 pm
So I know this is a furry guild but I'm curious to see how many people here know about therianthropy (or possibly even are therian themselves).

For those who don't know, the generally accepted term for Therianthropy is a person who identifies themselves as an animal, generally in a spiritual or psychological way.

This differs from furry fandom in that a therian doesn't choose their animal and a therian will experience "shifts" be they mental, phantom, dream or astral (if you believe in such things). Some actually believe they can undergo physical shifting but most of the therian community dismiss these as wild fantasies.

So now I'm curious to get everyone here's feedback.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 pm
*observes*  

Lilithiann

Feral Sweetheart

13,825 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Artemis Vulpes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 am
Ah, yes, the furs that forget to take their anti-psychotics.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm
Artemis Vulpes
That's a rather mean thing to say. Remember that this guild is supposed to be a place to discuss things freely without this kind of snide comment.

Rules & FAQ
7. Keep an open mind. Prejudice, racism, and bigotry of a minority, subculture, or group are not allowed. Do not make posts or otherwise display content that "bashes" a group of people. This type of behavior is unacceptable and will get you banned from this guild.

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 pm
In a nut shell, someone who thinks they transform into another animal

sorry, but your definition confused me

I looked it up on wikipedia  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 pm
I don't mind people believing in that. As long as they don't take it too far to the point where it's actually annoying.

"OMG I BELIEVE THAT I'M A REINCARNATION OF A WOLF!11!!! I HOWL EVERY NIGHT FOR NO REASON OMG!11!!!!!"
I've met some pretty silly people. gonk
But I really could care less, I don't pay attention to them anyways.
I wonder how they pick these animals if they can't pick them themselves.  

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:33 pm
Artemis Vulpes

Just like the people with any other religious beliefs or lack there of*. wink

I would hope I don't have to remind people that, so long as they don't claim to have special sparkle powers or can influence the natural world in measurable means, then claiming superiority (what it really boils down to) in the situation is no better than any fundie.

However, the minute anyone claims they have wolf blood or can grow fur at will, then get out the protractors because it's disprovin' time.

* Those with no religion are not exempt because the supernatural is inherently beyond our natural methods of scientific understanding. You can get all huffy when someone claims the natural world can be influenced by their supernatural abilities though.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm
Pent and Ten
In a nut shell, someone who thinks they transform into another animal

sorry, but your definition confused me

I looked it up on wikipedia

Of a sort. Not physically of course, that's just absurd, but some times a therian's mental state will change to that of the animals, and they may get phantom feelings of limbs humans don't posses, and then if you believe in auras and/or the astral plane (as a lot of therians seem to) then they can shift their aura or astral body. Sorry I wasn't clearer in my description. Wikipedia's definition isn't very accurate to modern therianthropy. This, however, is.

Jiti
I don't mind people believing in that. As long as they don't take it too far to the point where it's actually annoying.

"OMG I BELIEVE THAT I'M A REINCARNATION OF A WOLF!11!!! I HOWL EVERY NIGHT FOR NO REASON OMG!11!!!!!"

Even other therians don't really like people who take it that far. Part of being a good therian is to realize that while part of you may be animal, you're still human too and are expected to act accordingly around other people.

As for how they "pick" their animal, they don't. It's something that has to be discovered through reflection and taking a good hard look at that side of yourself.  

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 pm
no offence, but I believe wikipedia over that  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 pm
Jiti

Like, I am very open minded and very spiritual, but I agree with you. I have bumped into so very ridiculous people. Like this one girl was all like "I love meat and growl a lot cause I'm a wolf lawlz" I had to facepaw over and over and over till there was a dent in my forehead.

I think some people think they are a Therian because they read up on it or someone tells them and they automatically think they are one. Now I'm not saying they exist or not, just trying to clarify some kind of BS factor that takes one kind of spirituality and turns it into nonsense.

The first time I even heard of the Therian idea, I was talking to an old friend about how I'm an animal magnet and have been like that since I was a kid. Not all animals of course, but most generally come to me calmly. My mother even noticed that during my childhood. Also, I've found myself wanting to be near animals rather than humanity...which was probably the first sign in my childhood of me being a furry xD Anyways, he was all like "OMG, I think you might be a Therian." All I did was arch my brow and nodded my head since I didn't want to start up a scene.  

Lilithiann

Feral Sweetheart

13,825 Points
  • Jack-pot 100

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:06 pm
Zuri-kai

Ah, so they don't choose animals over humans?
Oh do they have to learn a lot about animals to know?

Little Fuzzy Bunneh

That's interesting. Have anybody ever respond to you negatively about being a Therian?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 pm
Garek Maxwell
Artemis Vulpes

Just like the people with any other religious beliefs or lack there of*. wink

I would hope I don't have to remind people that, so long as they don't claim to have special sparkle powers or can influence the natural world in measurable means, then claiming superiority (what it really boils down to) in the situation is no better than any fundie.

However, the minute anyone claims they have wolf blood or can grow fur at will, then get out the protractors because it's disprovin' time.

* Those with no religion are not exempt because the supernatural is inherently beyond our natural methods of scientific understanding. You can get all huffy when someone claims the natural world can be influenced by their supernatural abilities though.

i think his point is to ask how many of these people actually have been diagnosed with mental dissorders.

It realy does seem like a dillusion of grandure. "im specialer than you... imma fox demon. Im an immortal creature with supernatural powers..."

it reminds me of Wicca kids in high school that threatened to curse me and expected me to be afraid that i would actually be hexed.or even better "the fox demon inside me possesses my body sometimes. thats why i am a d**k some times."

no yer just a d**k some times.

ive run into that in some local fur meets...

But yeah... I agree with you Garek... as much as i dont agree with them i'm not about to attempt to break their dillusions. It just makes me think that those kids are trying too hard to gain self worth. but then again arent we all...  

Jungle Boots

Lilithiann

Feral Sweetheart

13,825 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm
Jiti
That's interesting. Have anybody ever respond to you negatively about being a Therian?

o.o Not sure and I don't really care. I am who I am, a strange, artsy fartsy bunny with an insane mate. And when I say bunny, I don't mean that I think I literally am or something o.o I call myself a bunny as in a furry..cause that's my fursona and yea.. *looks around awkwardly*  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 pm
Artemis Vulpes

HAHAHA.

That was so simple yet so funny.  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Deaths kitsune

8,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:06 pm
this sounds like my friend. obsessed with wolves. and i know obsession isn't part of this, but i pretty sure he thinks of himself as one.

honestly, the concept sounds interesting, but not something im going to buy into.

and becasue i dont know enough about this, im not going to put much of an input in. i cant form an educated opinion on it  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff