Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
So...Why? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Agree? (read first)
  Yes (Explain)
  No (Explain)
  I don't know (Explain)
View Results

Willow Wolfblade

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 pm
I have been hanging with my Christian friends recently, and joined a thing called Alpha. Now, Alpha is something that teaches people about the basics of their religion (I have very little experience with/knowledge of the Christian faith, so I joined to learn more about it so that I can have educated discussions with people. Not to Disprove or put down or anything, I just want to understand).
These friends are people you would NOT at all tag as 'bible thumpers' or 'Jesus freaks' if you would tag that people like that, but they are so ... relaxed with everything. OK with everyone. And most importantly to me and their's friendship; open to discussion about things. Most things, even ones that one wouldn't expect them to talk so openly about and listen to others' views. And not just because they are Christians either, just because a lot of people are too ignorant to talk to about things (plus I am in High School, so a lot of people aren't interested in thoughtful conversation).
The point is, why do we, as a general public now-a-days, 'put down' -for lack of a better term at the moment- Christianity?
The people we see often are the ones that are often the pushy religion...ists, which is who we associate with that religion (not just Christianity), when in reality it seems as though most of the people in any religion are the nice ones that are accepting and open and kind, the way that most people would say -I dunno- the 'acceptable'(?)/'real'(?) Religion...ists. Like the neighborly neighbor.
One could say that in this time, since religion in general is just plain-old going downhill. Which is quite sad. And because of this, it also seems like people are being brainwashed into thinking that religion is... icky. And that is also sad. Anyone here, I am sure, can say that religion has impacted them in some way. At least I hope so, since this is a religiously-affiliated guild hahaha. But also, many here can attest to the fact that there are many negative affiliations with religon. In the Christian faith, a few believe witches are 'bad'. In the Pagan faiths a few believe that Christianity is 'bad'. Americans in general have been trained to see someone of general Islamic(correct term?) background and put the label 'bad' on that too, sometimes on a subconscious level even. All because some extremists that the real and true priests-or whatever their official name is in that religion- say are NOT at all real religious leaders in and of themselves brainwashed some other people to believe that 'those people over there are bad'. And others have 'bad' labels as well, I am more than sure. But very few-it seems to me anyway- really knows much about the other.
So, is this great loop of bad just ignorance, or do they have a legitimate basis? I think it is almost pure ignorance. One should never label something as 'bad' unless they have found that EVERYONE in whatever organizations' morals are questionable.
What do you think?

PS
Sorry for the ', -, () swarm. It helps organize my thoughts to do those things sometimes... To show a branch off of an original thought.

PSS
If you saw this in Wicca: Blessed Be as well, and also replied, you should copy and paste so that the people not in that guild too can also chat it up with you. I wanted everyone's opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:32 pm
Are you just trying to say "negative stereotyping is bad" here?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Willow Wolfblade

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Are you just trying to say "negative stereotyping is bad" here?

Well, yes. But also... Ugh I don't know how to explain hahaha.
It is also just a way to help get my thoughts out.
I am kindof asking why we target just one (or more) thing, when even we ourselves do it too, even if it is subconscious.
I... Well. Hmm. I couldn't tell you what all I am trying to say, though that is definitely in there. Hopefully by discussing more with people I can tell you with ease ^_^.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm
Can you condense and rephrase this? I'm having trouble understanding your point- or relating to it. sweatdrop  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Willow Wolfblade

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm
Esiris
Can you condense and rephrase this? I'm having trouble understanding your point- or relating to it. sweatdrop

I'll get back to you on that when I am rested and have had my morning coffee so that I am not bogged by a busy day lol.
Sorry I can't answer you completely at the moment.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 pm
Willow Wolfblade

I am kindof asking why we target just one (or more) thing, when even we ourselves do it too, even if it is subconscious.
It's not that Christians or Christianity is bad- it's that they have privilege that they aren't aware of and it means other people don't get to be treated equally.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:11 am
I think a great many Pagans carry a grudge against Christians because they have had bad experiences with them in the past. It is true that the horrible examples tend to stick out more than the good ones. I think it is often compounded by the fact that Christianity encourages it's followers to try to 'spread the word' and convert others, so in part of being a good Christian, they can get quite pushy.

As far as how much is based on ignorance, I think that some people (on both sides, both Christians and Pagans) base their attitudes on willful ignorance. They believe what they want about the other side and refuse to listen to anything that doesn't agree with them.

I have some really great Christian friends, and I have a few friends that probably would be shocked and appalled to find out that I am not Christian (which they just assumed *shrug).  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 am
Yeah us Christians aren't all bad razz  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 am
Well, my Pagan friend over in Italy. Her dad's Italian, and he was brought up Catholic.

My friend, on the other hand, she didn't really have a faith as a child until she turned 13 and chose Paganism. She's 16 now and is seeking Wicca.

Her mother's also a Pagan, but more of an animist.

I don't think all Christians are bad. It's also not just Christians. I've met a few non-religious people, mind you, the majority of them are pupils at my school. They've said some nasty crap about Pagans.

Some Christians are accepting, like my Grandma for instance. Others are sometimes close-minded or misunderstand.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Well, my Pagan friend over in Italy. Her dad's Italian, and he was brought up Catholic.

My friend, on the other hand, she didn't really have a faith as a child until she turned 13 and chose Paganism. She's 16 now and is seeking Wicca.

Her mother's also a Pagan, but more of an animist.

I don't think all Christians are bad. It's also not just Christians. I've met a few non-religious people, mind you, the majority of them are pupils at my school. They've said some nasty crap about Pagans.

Some Christians are accepting, like my Grandma for instance. Others are sometimes close-minded or misunderstand.

Agreed with the atheists' ignorance too, but I know quite a few who are atheists because they don't know what to believe and they would rather just live and not worry about it instead of following some regime(or however that is spelled) for the rest of their life.
Some people find Wicca/Paganism appealing because so many other teenagers are in it. At least I think so. I had no clue what to expect when I found out about it. I was looking up stuff on Shamanism and did a link journey to wiccan articles and things. I got so interested I got a book or two.
And like I said, this isn't just about Christianity, though that is generally what comes to mind since it is so prominent.

@rmcdra:
I know ^_^.  

Willow Wolfblade

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Willow Wolfblade

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:46 am
Esiris
Willow Wolfblade

It's not that Christians or Christianity is bad- it's that they have privilege that they aren't aware of and it means other people don't get to be treated equally.

Hmmm. Never thought of it that way, but I can see how it is valid.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 am
kyndryana3
I think a great many Pagans carry a grudge against Christians because they have had bad experiences with them in the past. It is true that the horrible examples tend to stick out more than the good ones. I think it is often compounded by the fact that Christianity encourages it's followers to try to 'spread the word' and convert others, so in part of being a good Christian, they can get quite pushy.

As far as how much is based on ignorance, I think that some people (on both sides, both Christians and Pagans) base their attitudes on willful ignorance. They believe what they want about the other side and refuse to listen to anything that doesn't agree with them.

I have some really great Christian friends, and I have a few friends that probably would be shocked and appalled to find out that I am not Christian (which they just assumed *shrug).

Agreed. I just was never religious, so when I went to church for the first time, I thought it was weird that it was a bad thing to not be married when someone has a child. My mom was 17 and my dad was almost 21, so obviously they weren't married.
I also always wondered why in 'that big book'-as I once called it- there weren't as many cool female figures other than Mary.
Still. The only real people who ever I didn't like in that faith were the ones that told me I am and shall go to hell because I am just so ignorant. My aunt, however, told me that those people weren't 'doing it right' (she is quite religious herself) and that they were being mean and going against the Bible by saying stuff like that because they weren't being as forgiving as Christ or something like that. So I keep that in mind whenever there is a person that confronts me. And I also know from going to two different Churches with people I know, that almost everyone is accepting. I accidentally forgot to take off my pentacle necklace and no one seemed to care after they glanced at it... Well except for this ornery old man, but I just let that slide.  

Willow Wolfblade

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm
Some Asatruar hold a big grudge against the "Kristjans" because of some unfortunate methods of conversion of the Northlands. Iceland's fairly peaceful conversion aside, Trygvasson and Saint Olaf were really brutal in their conversions. Charlemagne was no less brutal, by all accounts.

To be honest it's hard not to remain angered by those things, particularly when Saint Olaf is still honoured in Catholicism.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:11 pm
Personally i tend to follow if they don't bother me i wont bother them line. But i will admit i don't much care for the christian faith itself. I think my feelings towards them is more due to how hypacritical they are. Saying god is love but if you look at their history they murdered thousands of people in the name of their god. Actions speak louder then words to me and you can't forget the past. Forgive it yes but not forget.  

Pixie0__X

6,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:22 am
Pixie0__X
Personally i tend to follow if they don't bother me i wont bother them line. But i will admit i don't much care for the christian faith itself. I think my feelings towards them is more due to how hypacritical they are. Saying god is love but if you look at their history they murdered thousands of people in the name of their god. Actions speak louder then words to me and you can't forget the past. Forgive it yes but not forget.

So it's not possible that those killing in their god's name were doin' it wrong? Yeah people don't disobey a god or they gods they serve for personal reasons ever, right?

And what do you mean by the cannot forget the past? People do it all the time. In the case of Christianity I don't see how they could forget their past, hell the OT contains all sorts of atrocities that early Hebrews committed in the name of their god. Not to mention it there are enough people around around won't let them forget about the blunders done by Christians of the past and want them to dwell on a past that they have been trying to move past for quite some time now. Sounds like some sort of justification for "let's hold a grudge without admitting I'm holding a grudge". I could be wrong in my reading of this but that's how it's coming out to me.

So what do you want Christians to not forget; that a bunch of crappy followers of their religion committed a bunch of atrocities and thus they should pay and suffer for the crimes of these crappy followers of years past, despite the fact that many Christians today admit that what those individuals back then did was wrong.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games