Reply [IC] Suka'Fumo Lands [IC]
[FIN] Brand New BFFLs (Derasan/Banquo) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm
User Image "No, no, then you say... 'Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo,' and so on." In the middle of the abnormally unpopulated theater stage, a pale blue lion paced forward in two measured steps, a pained look of contemplation pulling at his face. "You've fallen in love with this lion, right? He belongs to your family's sworn enemies. You don't understand. It's tragic, see?" He said, turning to look back at the young lioness watching him intently. She was an up-and-coming star, with a winning personality, but an unfortunate inability to interpret scripts. But Derasan had faith that it would change with practice.

As she nodded and stepped up to take his place in practice, the Player shifted away. "You've got it. Just keep working at it." He said with a kindly smile, turning to exit the stage. He had his own lines to learn and motions to rehearse, but rather than invade the stage, he decided he would take a brief break to wander the pride lands and clear his mind.

Although Derasan had been born into these lands, the beauty of the territory never ceased to amaze him. Campanil forest, home to the Groundlings that excited him with their eccentricity; Elsinore, home to the Nobles and the royalty; Mviringo valley... all of it held some inexplicable beauty and glamor for him.

So he wandered, rather aimlessly through the valley, following his paws wherever they wished to take him, though for the most part they preferred to remain within Mviringo. He knew full well the disdain that many Nobles had for him, his "kind," creatures without purple in their coats. There were exceptions to the rule, of course - there were always exceptions to the rule - but those seemed to be fewer and further between than those that weren't. And the Groundlings. Derasan quite loved them, but always he felt as though he would find himself whisked away on some elaborate adventure, and much as he would have enjoyed it, there were more pressing matters at hand, and it wouldn't do to spend an entire day away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 pm
User Image

Banquo was standing on the middle of a dirt path, looking somewhat lost. He eyed the higher ground in the distance, home of the pride’s nobility with a hint of interest before slowly moving towards the heart of the valley. He’d heard all the missing cubs had been found and now regretted – to some extent - not being part of the rescue party. Still, he knew he wasn’t ready to take full responsibility for the life of a little one again and some of the cubs seemed to have found homes with nobles so they’d probably have much better lives than if they’d been stuck with him anyway.

He sighed, very quietly. It was one of those days where he could use a trip to the forest to chat or simply hang around those fellows he’d travelled with. They probably never realized how much their presence relieved his constant uneasiness. But the Groundling lifestyle was not for him, one who needed a clear structure, a proper job and a rank to define him, so he was returning to the heart of the pride… where he didn’t know anyone. Banquo suddenly realized he really needed to get out more.

Mogami

Rainbow Cat

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:32 pm
Not too far up the way, Derasan spotted the striped lion. Almost instantly, he recognized the other as one of the newcomers, the relatively silent one that had arrived with the one whose golden coat was as bright as the sun. Inevitably, rumors had spread about taciturn lion - fleeting whispers about his past and his unusual lack of words and... so many other things. The Suka'Fumo was not such a large pride, after all, and many things were cause for gossip.

But Derasan wasn't one to judge a lion by his appearance. Of course, he followed the gossip and kept himself properly up to date with the pride-wide discussions, but he knew enough to know that he couldn't trust everything he heard. He was a Player, after all. Acting involved a romanticized version of lying and storytelling, after all, and most plays could hardly be taken for the truth.

"Good morrow, sir," The pale lion greeted with a cheery smile as he neared. He looked slightly out of place, as if he hadn't quite figured out where to fit in. Derasan regarded the other carefully. Well, no worry. He could help with that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm
Banquo’s head turned quickly and the striped lion mentally chastised himself for not noticing the other lion sooner. The first thing that came to mind was that he wasn’t absolutely certain of the other’s class, unsure of how to classify the lion’s mane. Was it grayish blue or grayish purple? It was a completely different thing in this pride and he was supposed to react differently depending on the answer. Still, the male had addressed him as “sir” so Banquo concluded that he was not a noble or, at least, not a very conservative one. It was a safe assumption to make, right?

“Hello.” He eyed the male with his typical closed expression – one that had long forgotten the usual traces of emotion - wondering if the other was simply being friendly or if he had approached him with a specific purpose. Even his voice seemed to drag a bit even though he’d barely said anything at all. He'd tried to sound inquisitive but most would probably contest that claim.

Mogami

Rainbow Cat

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:19 pm
Expertly closing the gap that stood between them, Derasan drew up beside the gray lion. "I could not quite help but recognize from afar that you were one of the newcomers," he said without a hint of disdain. Newcomers and old blood alike were but potential friends and relations to the pale lion. "Have you time to spare a poor Player?" He added brightly. There was plenty to learn about the Suka'Fumo, after all.

That the gray lion had seemed lost, Derasan now felt an honest interpretation of the other's emotion - and he had been told he was quite a skilled reader of other creatures. That something terrible had indeed happened to the striped lion, the Player didn't doubt either. But neither matter much to him. Rather, it was the promise of (pleasant) company that had drawn him closer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:48 pm
“Ah yes, I came with Citro’s group.” Banquo said in much the same tone but his brow seemed to lift just a bit, giving him a somewhat lighter expression. The male had said two very interesting things. For one, he seemed to actually want to spend time with Banquo which, unfortunately, couldn’t be said for many. And, even more interesting, he had introduced himself as a Player which instantly piqued the striped lion’s curiosity. As far as he could tell, this was the task that better illustrated the spirit of the pride and was perhaps a better representative of the Suka’Fumo than the purple nobility.

“I have much time to spare. I am a Scholar with no students.” His words would’ve sounded comical if anyone else had had spoken them but the flat tone did not invite humor. It was simply a blunt statement. He did, however, gradually appear more invested in the conversion as he continued. “A Player? What led you to that choice, if I may ask?”

Mogami

Rainbow Cat

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 pm
"Ah, Citro," Derasan nodded his recognition of the name. "Have you known him for long, then, that you would follow him to a new pride and home?" Derasan imagined that would be the case with most, although anything otherwise would have done little to surprise him. From what he understood, the bright lion seemed a kindly, compassionate lion suitable for any to follow. Had he been in Banquo's shoes, he imagined it wouldn't have taken much to convince him to join the small troupe. But then, Derasan wasn't quite like most lions, and certainly he didn't suppose he seemed to be much like Banquo at all.

"Well, in that case, perhaps we should find you some students," the pale lion declared. There were always children in need of a tutor, and that there could be Scholars without charges - all that wisdom gone to waste - seemed a terrible shame to him.

"Why, I was a born a Player," he said dramatically and grinning broadly. Shaking his head, he added, "My parents were both players. I've never known any other life, and I do not suppose I would want any other." He nodded emphatically, knowing full well that he could talk all day about acting if given the opportunity. "There's something... quite elevating about taking the stage and performing for a kind audience, although certainly there are those that are less kind."

He turned back to the gray lion, restraining himself from speaking much further about his craft. It wasn't all about him, after all. "And you, sir? Why a Scholar?"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm
“No, I barely know him.” The gray lion stated simply. As for why he’d followed Citro and his little group… well, he wasn’t sure himself. He realized he felt better when they were around and he simply desired to hold on to that feeling on a more instinctive level. The pride had sounded interesting, of course, but it was hardly the main reason. Banquo quickly went through each motive in silence, nodding a little. It would make him look “normal” if the striped lion were to simply state each of them aloud but the thought completely escaped him. “But I followed him.” Which was more of a conclusion than a reason but he wasn’t really sure how to explain himself.

When the other male spoke with such passion, there was something akin to a smile in Banquo’s expression and his eyes searched for the other lion’s, suddenly realizing they were somewhat similar. He recognized the feeling all too well, after being part of a small wandering group. It was, perhaps, acceptance… but that was a matter that required further consideration. If he wasn’t mistaken, the other male had even offered to help him find students, though Banquo considered the possibility that he might’ve misunderstood him. He really seemed friendly… but in a pride filled of actors, one should certainly thread more carefully than usual.

“Talent runs in the family, then. Perhaps we should walk as we speak.” He continued, looking up at sky and his eyes remained there when he spoke again. “Me? It was the best fit.”

Mogami

Rainbow Cat

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 pm
"I see. Instinct follows where logic fails," he said, as if he understood that which Banquo himself didn't quite. And of course, there was no real logic to what Derasan had said either, and that must in part have been the beauty of it - it simply was. There were many things in life that had no real explanation, for life itself, Derasan had discovered, tended toward the alogon, the illogical that one should neither understand, not try to understand, and that was where miracles tended to lie. The most astounding things that happened beyond all expectations and against all odds - astounding things that Derasan fully believed could, and did, occur every day.

A brief, jolly laugh followed by a modest shake of the pale lion's head answered Banquo's comment about talent. "Nay, good sir, this is neither talent nor taste for art in particular. Just a humble inheritance from equally humble parents." A twinkle danced in his sharp, amber eyes. "Anyone can act," he added, as if ability had nothing to do with it. "Long years of practice are the key, and a healthy understanding of the good life." He leaned slightly closer to Banquo, giving his acquaintance a conspiratorial glance. "And if you ask me, sir, this is it: what we have. It isn't the Nobles, with their silly rules and purple puff. They can keep all the riches in the world if they must, but riches can't buy happiness."

He drew back again, tacitly complying with Banquo's suggestion to walk with a brief incline of his head. "Of course, they tell me that I think this way only because I am a poor Player and have nothing worth a fortune." He shrugged, still smiling. "To each his own, eh? Perhaps they're right, and I'm just a fool for believing it."

The pale lion glanced over at the other, studying him carefully for a brief moment. "I imagine you enjoy it then, if it was the best fit," he mused. Banquo's case sounded rather like his own. Though he had played it off as nothing more than a relic from his past with his parents, he knew that there was no other life that he would have picked, even if he had had the power to change his stars. "You do seem like the scholarly type, if you don't mind me saying." He added. It wasn't that he tried to judge on appearance - quite the opposite, in fact, but Banquo had that same kind of vibe. It was quite a pleasant change from the Nobles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:15 pm
“Instinct, mmm…?” Yes, perhaps that was the best way to summarize it. Banquo’s head dropped a little when the other leaned closer, his throat giving small non-committal sounds at the end of every sentence. In truth, he was only one of the most recent additions to the pride and hardly one to judge the subtleties of the Suka’Fumo nobility whether by his will or experience.

“I’ve lived most of my life in the rogue lands. I’ve known many prides and many lions. They all had different views of the world, different ideals, treasures and purposes.” It all seemed part of a distant past he had discarded ages ago. Maybe in a roundabout way he was disagreeing with the other male's self-inflicted label. “I saw very few fools.”

“Enjoy? I think I will. Perhaps.” Staring into the other lion’s eyes, Banquo wasn’t particularly concerned about how much enjoyment his new position would give him. It was only a job, after all, and any satisfaction that he would gain by fulfilling it, should simply be taken as an extra. Right now, he was more concerned with fitting in and looking the part was a start so he did not contest the other male’s remark. Deep down, he was actually a little surprised the blue-maned lion was still here, talking to him. “From what little I’ve seen, you do seem to fit the Player task… ah… I’m sorry. I don’t believe I caught your name. I’m Banquo.”

Mogami

Rainbow Cat

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:46 pm
Derasan shrugged. "Nothing could will us to take action if we had no reason for it, even if we cannot recognize the reason. I suppose when that happens, it is only thanks to some unacknowledged instinct that we still do anything." But there was no basis to his argument, so he could understand if he was wrong. He almost expected it, even but, what was or was not true mattered little to him. His entire world revolved around pretending to be characters he was not.

The Player laughed. "That's certainly welcome news. I suppose there's hope for me now." It could almost be surprising, almost, how candid and self-effacing the pale lion could be, and how easily it came to him. But there wasn't a great sense of competition to be found in Derasan, and even less awareness of what others thought of him.

"Perhaps? That would be a start, I suppose. But why do something if there is no enjoyment to be claimed?" He mused, more to himself than anything. It was something he had learned both from his parents and from observing the nobility - the most glaring difference between them, apart from the lack of purple, was the fact that commoners like himself could do things, anything, for the sake of being happy.

Jolting out of his brief reverie, he glanced back over and the striped lion. "Why, thankee," he said, smiling broadly. It was certainly a compliment to be deemed fitting of his occupation. "My name is Derasan."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 pm
Banquo took his time as he followed the other’s reasoning, nodding on occasion. In all honesty, he wasn’t particularly invested in his words but felt compelled to listen nonetheless. The blue-maned lion appeared to be a straight-forward individual who wasn’t playing any games and the gray lion couldn’t help but to slowly begin to feel drawn to this stranger. It was the cheerful tone, perhaps, or the almost palpable passion he put into each topic they discussed. Or maybe it was just his laugh, loud and friendly, that echoed inside Banquo, stirring something he’d believed to be dormant for so very long.

Not that he agreed with everything Derasan said – after all, his chosen task had been a last resort sort of deal and he expected no amusement to ever come of it. He did not trust himself around the very young and neither was he gifted in the artistic department. And while he would comply with the pride’s customs and respect the nobility, he most certainly didn’t wish to spend his life running after the prey they refused to catch or serving the proud and ungrateful that would look down upon him. Banquo didn’t value his life very highly but he wouldn’t simply waste it away either.

“Derasan, the Player. I’ll remember that.” It wouldn’t be hard when it was the only lion Banquo knew… with the obvious exception of his previous travelling partners and the King, Bwana. “The King… he seems like a nice fellow. Gentle. Respectful, despite his color and title.” Too trusting, perhaps, to accept so many new members into his pride at once but considering his circumstances, Banquo couldn’t exactly complain.

Mogami

Rainbow Cat

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 am
"And Banquo the scholar," he echoed. It wouldn't be too difficult to commit that to memory, especially when he was already familiar with the striped lion's looks. Derasan was an empathetic creature by nature, and putting names with faces, remembering faces - anything to do with meeting other creatures, to be honest - came as naturally to him as his indiscriminate openness.

"Ah, the King," he repeated, pleasantly surprised by this change of topic, though he certainly wasn't complaining. The subject of King Bwana was one that Derasan quite liked - though it would seem to many that there were very few topics that the Player did not enjoy - and he rarely objected to any issue proposed by his companions, much less the quieter types like Banquo was proving to be.

"Yes, he certainly is a fair king, and kind to his subjects too." He nodded. "Given the rankings found within our pride, it would hardly be surprising to be under the rule of a tyrant King favoring only the Nobles - and perhaps not even them. Bwana's father, it seems, was much like a tyrant, though I was born after his rule and have known nothing besides the gentle rule of our current liege." He was a lucky child, as he had often been reminded growing up.

Derasan glanced over at Banquo. "You seem an honest judge of character. Perchance you possess a knack for understanding personalities?" He himself had been told once or twice that he seemed to notice the subtleties of other creatures instinctively - but he was more inclined to believe that those occasions had simply been the results of lucky guesses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:10 pm
Banquo nodded as he heard his name being repeated. His yellow eyes were on the path ahead but the grey lion seemed considerably more focused as he got a small taste of the Suka’Fumo history.

“Is that so?” There was no surprise in the grey lion’s words. It was a logical notion, after all. Such an unbalanced power system was bound to cause abuse at some point and so the existence of a cruel tyrant in the pride’s past was not exactly unexpected. Though he couldn’t fathom why anyone without purple would wish to live in such a place unless that were being forced to do so. “I suppose the middle class to be nothing more than slaves back then.”

“Fair, yes. I got that impression though I seem to have less trust in my own judgment than you give me credit for. But he is, perhaps, too trusting… he might regret it one day.” He spoke the ominous words in much the same indifferent tone as the rest of his speech but his eyes rose to Elsinore at the end. Banquo had to wonder if there were members of the nobility who secretly wished of a sterner rule reminiscent of the old Suka’Fumo days. Something that might cause trouble to arise at some point in the future in which case bringing those cubs to the pride might’ve been a grave mistake on their part. He truly hoped all the little ones would be safe. And he hoped Bwana would be alright, as well. The purple lion looked like a decent fellow, worthy of following. Banquo would deeply regret if the Bwana’s rule were to be tainted by corruption, resistance or betrayal from his subjects. “Ah, we’re getting close my den. It’s there.”

It wasn’t necessarily an invitation but he was telling the Player where he could find the Scholar again should if ever wish to meet him again – not that he placed much thought or hope in that possibility.

Mogami

Rainbow Cat

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:34 am
"I imagine they were dark times," Derasan agreed. Certainly, he hoped Bwana's rule would be a long and fruitful one, for any turnover of power could be disastrous for the lifestyle he had taken almost for granted all his life. Suppose another tyrant took the throne? Suppose theater was not an institution any new ruler condoned? The pale lion was a player at heart; it was such a large part of who he was and the motivation that kept him going, that made him want to wake up with a smile every morning, that he could hardly being to imagine what he would do without it.

"Perhaps he will, though he does seem to have some reservations for the other group that recently arrived." Derasan mused, thinking about the ex-War Council member that had showed up at the same time as Banquo's group. He had recently come across the Noble in a brief and rather unpleasant encounter that served to showcase fully the purple lion's inherent bigotry, but he had also heard that Miroslav could be quite the charmer when he wanted, or needed, to be. Somehow, Derasan didn't doubt it. The world of nobility was itself a stage on which the purple lions played their parts and curried favors - like theater, but a constant, unrelenting sort.

"A comfortable spot, that is," the Player said as he spotted the den. Understanding that neither knew the other well enough for much further company, he added, "Well, I thank you for your company. I had quite expected to walk alone today. If you'll excuse me, I ought to return to the stage. I left a young lass there alone to rehearse some lines, and I myself have several to learn."

[IC] Suka'Fumo Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff