Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 pm
Okay, so I've been looking for a cheap .22 for my girlfriend for a while now. Pretty much what we want is something semi-auto, fed from an inexpensive detachable magazine (no $40 mags like my ******** Mossberg), small, light, and under $300. Leaders in the category so far are the Remington 597 and the Marlin Papoose. Junior sizes are preferred, she's only 5'0" xd .

I've been considering the 10/22, but /k/ gives it negative reviews. Then again... ******** /k/. Anyone here ever had a 10/22? Not looking to tacticool it, they just have really common mags and such. Though I hear the mags being an integral part of the action can really ******** things up if you buy cheap mags.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 am
Fresnel
Okay, so I've been looking for a cheap .22 for my girlfriend for a while now. Pretty much what we want is something semi-auto, fed from an inexpensive detachable magazine (no $40 mags like my ******** Mossberg), small, light, and under $300. Leaders in the category so far are the Remington 597 and the Marlin Papoose. Junior sizes are preferred, she's only 5'0" xd .

I've been considering the 10/22, but /k/ gives it negative reviews. Then again... ******** /k/. Anyone here ever had a 10/22? Not looking to tacticool it, they just have really common mags and such. Though I hear the mags being an integral part of the action can really ******** things up if you buy cheap mags.

10/22's rule.

theres the marlin 60...but uses no detachable mags and the whole tube loading setup is kinda inconvenient.

you might be able to find a used sig 522 for around 300. or you can just buy a CMMG kit for your AR?  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:07 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

10/22's rule.

theres the marlin 60...but uses no detachable mags and the whole tube loading setup is kinda inconvenient.
I've got a Winchester 190. Aside from being a jammy b***h, we both agree the tube sucks. Worth the $50 I paid, though.

Quote:
you might be able to find a used sig 522 for around 300.
I like it, I'll have to look into that.
Quote:
or you can just buy a CMMG kit for your AR?
You mean the million-pound monster? xd

ETA: Just looked around online, and I can't find a used 522 for under $400. Probably not bad for a SIG, but I was hoping for the $150-250 range. Kinda why I like the Remington... it's the cheapest I've found so far, at $180 MSRP.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

10/22's rule.

I've got a Winchester 190. Aside from being a jammy b***h, we both agree the tube sucks. Worth the $50 I paid, though.

Quote:
Quote:

ETA: Just looked around online, and I can't find a used 522 for under $400. Probably not bad for a SIG, but I was hoping for the $150-250 range. Kinda why I like the Remington... it's the cheapest I've found so far, at $180 MSRP.

nuts...

oh well. theres always .22lr dedicated uppers rather than ciener kits
$295 .22 upper

best part is that you get to use a familiar system that also doubles as a low cost training platform for the two of you. that way when she's ready to move onto .223 she'll pick it up right away.

maybe down the road you might even get it's own lower for it so you wont have switch yours out . plum crazy makes a complete lower for 140 dollars that's perfect for the job

for price, 10/22 and the 597 are prolly the best option.
you had it figured out to begin with xd

the papoose isnt a bad choice either. probably the best takedown .22 on the market.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:10 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

10/22's rule.

Quote:
Quote:

nuts...

oh well. theres always .22lr dedicated uppers rather than ciener kits
$295 .22 upper

best part is that you get to use a familiar system that also doubles as a low cost training platform for the two of you. that way when she's ready to move onto .223 she'll pick it up right away.

maybe down the road you might even get it's own lower for it so you wont have switch yours out . plum crazy makes a complete lower for 140 dollars that's perfect for the job

for price, 10/22 and the 597 are prolly the best option.
you had it figured out to begin with xd

the papoose isnt a bad choice either. probably the best takedown .22 on the market.
Well, this is kinda supposed to be her gun, so while it would breathe new life into the safe queen I can't afford to feed, it's not what I'm looking for right now.

The thing that kills me is that the 10/22 and 597 both don't have sling swivels standard. I mean, who the hell makes a rifle without swivels? Seriously, at least make a half-assed stand-in like the 887 did.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I think we might actually swing for the Marlin 70PSS; the upgraded Papoose. It's on the higher end of the budget, but it comes with sling swivels, weighs 28oz. less than the 10/22 and 597, and you can stick it in a backpack.

Only thing... anybody know if the 70PSS takes 795 mags? A quick googling turned up nothing.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:09 am
just get the 10/22, ever listen to /k/.

Seriously, I propose that we get trip codes to recognize each other.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 pm
I'm pretty happy with the Savage 64. Detachable mags, ~$15 each I think, but are only 10 rds. 1" groups at 50yds with my shitty skillz. $113 at Walmart. I think that covers everything. It was light before I modded it to hell.

Downside is it takes a pile of tools to take apart.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 pm
http://www.impactguns.com/store/619835002006.html
I know you said under $200, but an AR-7's worth it, in my opinion. My dad has had his for 20 years, and it still works fine.  

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 pm
AINGELPROJECT667
I know you said under $200, but an AR-7's worth it, in my opinion. My dad has had his for 20 years, and it still works fine.
After holding one, she immediately nixed it. In spite of being the lightest rifle of the bunch, the buttstock is massive, and she couldn't fit it on her shoulder. I'm personally a fan, but if you can't shoot it...

ETA: Y'know, they always show the AR-7 with an optic on it, but when the gun gets put away in the stock, where does the optic go? They should put a rail on the bottom of the stock, so you can store your glass there.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 pm
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
After holding one, she immediately nixed it. In spite of being the lightest rifle of the bunch, the buttstock is massive, and she couldn't fit it on her shoulder. I'm personally a fan, but if you can't shoot it...

ETA: Y'know, they always show the AR-7 with an optic on it, but when the gun gets put away in the stock, where does the optic go? They should put a rail on the bottom of the stock, so you can store your glass there.
the other problem with that is that the stock barrel only really gives mediocre accuracy at around 50 feet.

and when removing the optic you'll have to re-zero it every single time you assemble it back together, same as just about any other gun.

BUT this video has shown me a glimmer of promise in reliability
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Tl_QXzAco , one of the main reasons why I never considered one is because of their notorious issues with feeding. the other is the stock barrel and tendency for the threads on the aluminum barrel ring to become stripped and worn faster than other take down rifles.

buuut, given the choice between any .22 takedown, with compact storage capability being their main selling point, I would almost always take a .22 revolver over them any day in terms of storability, comparable if not better accuracy,simplicity, and guaranteed reliability.
plus no magazines to fiddle with and easier cleaning.
second choice would be a .22 auto pistol.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:46 pm
I had a 597 loved it, friend had a 10/22, both worked. Sister has a 10/22 she loves it. so if they have a deal on one and not the other...buy the one on sale.

like gander had stainless with synthetic stock 10/22 with scope combo for 250...at the same time same spec on a 597 for 200...?

marlin 795 with no scope is 100, wow that's cheap.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 pm
I support the Ruger 10/22. Mine is the International model, which comes with a full-length Mannlicher style stock, as well as nice swivels in place.

The sheer number of mods one can perform on this rifle is mind numbing! And its stupid simple to maintain. The Marlins tend to have too many parts to break, wear out and/or lose in the cleaning process.

It's a pity the Ruger .22 Charger, based on the 10/22 rifle action, is beyond your budget. I've been hoping to have enough spare cash to pick one up used.

http://ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:31 am
I've used a 10/22 extensively, and it's never had any problem. Maybe a couple FTFs from cheap waxy s**t 550 value pack ammo, but that's out of a couple thousand rounds. Spare magazines are everywhere. Spare parts everywhere. And also remember that everything /k/ says is wrong.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:24 am
Okay, so today we went to actually go BUY the thing, and got doubly ******** over. Cabela's was out of stock in the Papoose, and d**k's wont sell a rifle to anyone who's not from in-state or a neighboring state, and she never got her AZ driver's license. On the flip side, d**k's is selling the blued-steel Marlin 795 for $139 with a $10 instant rebate, and Marlin is offering a $25 mail-in on that same model, dropping the price for a brand-new semi-auto .22 to $104. If any of you are either looking or know someone who is, that's a smoking deal.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:00 pm
Buy it for 'er.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers