Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:31 pm
Video explaining various things  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:33 pm
haha i saw this clip earlier today...

My chem 1002 prof. used to work in the nuclear field, mostly in the refining plants, not so much in the actual power plants as basically a Chem. Engineer (he played with scale models of the plant and figured out how to increase productivity and such), but he commented on it a bit, and said that this plant is never going to be gone near again... it and the surrounding area is going to be a ghost town for the next century just like around Chernobyl... a better handled Chernobyl, so no giant radioactive cloud over japan, but non the less, it;s going to be a giant "don;t touch" zone that, if it keeps exploding, may encompass the entire city of Sendai, and further if the ground water gets super radiated... give or take, maybe...
Of course if all goes well and there's no more explosions, then radiation will level off and go away reasonably quickly and the plant it's self will prolly just be entombed like they did at Chernobyl (but better, obv.) and the "don;t touch" zone will be at a reasonable distance, and not crush the local towns and city's  

Maddness91

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 pm
I like periodic videos. They teach cool stuff.

I hope they don't have too much trouble with that reactor.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:43 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Too much? xd yes it;s only almost melting down xp not to worry...  

Maddness91

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:51 pm
Maddness91
Das Rabble Rouser
Too much? xd yes it;s only almost melting down xp not to worry...
Well you know what I mean. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 am
I heard some major news source (CNN, I think) say that this was closer to Three Mile Island than Chernobyl. Sorry, you know the difference between the two? TMI was a water leak, Chernobyl was a ******** meltdown. Besides that, nobody outside of the TMI crew got more exposure than you'd get from watching the microwave cook for 60 seconds.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:36 am
it;s a mix of the 2... TMI, the core wasn;t ever totally uncontrollable... dai-ichi hasn;t just leaked water, today it;s started to leak other things (prolly due to the explosions, etc) and the water that they are pumping in has started to boil before it comes out the other side... this means that either the pumping system isn;t working properly, (i.e. in perfect land, water in -> hot water out) or the core is still heating, and still has the ability to melt down completely...

they started (well, prolly continue, but faster) to evac everyone in 20km (12.5 mi.) and i think ~50 people are remaining at the plant it;s self to monitor things and give direct information on the situation there...  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 am
Japan has s**t luck with nuclear energy. Which is a problem considering how much they actually need nuclear plants like Fukushima.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:11 pm
Fresnel
I heard some major news source (CNN, I think) say that this was closer to Three Mile Island than Chernobyl. Sorry, you know the difference between the two? TMI was a water leak, Chernobyl was a ******** meltdown. Besides that, nobody outside of the TMI crew got more exposure than you'd get from watching the microwave cook for 60 seconds.
oh gawd. I must have some sort of radiation poisoning now.

throughout my entire life i've probably watched the microwave for an accumulated total of 8 hours. mostly as a kid neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:51 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Japan has s**t luck with nuclear energy. Which is a problem considering how much they actually need nuclear plants like Fukushima.
Makes you wonder why they didn't go, oh, I dunno, geothermal? Their island is a goddamn chain of dormant volcanoes, it's not like they don't have the locations, and geothermal plants tend not to explode when put on a major fault line like nuclear plants do. For a stereotypical nation full of geniuses, I think that one was planned out by the tentacle monsters.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:54 pm
Maddness91
it;s a mix of the 2... TMI, the core wasn;t ever totally uncontrollable... dai-ichi hasn;t just leaked water, today it;s started to leak other things (prolly due to the explosions, etc) and the water that they are pumping in has started to boil before it comes out the other side... this means that either the pumping system isn;t working properly, (i.e. in perfect land, water in -> hot water out) or the core is still heating, and still has the ability to melt down completely...

they started (well, prolly continue, but faster) to evac everyone in 20km (12.5 mi.) and i think ~50 people are remaining at the plant it;s self to monitor things and give direct information on the situation there...
From what I remember, TMI was just a valve left open on accident. The reactor water overflow tank started filling, and nobody could tell because alarms were going off for complete bullshit, and masking the more serious alarms. After a while, the overflow tank hit critical and triggered its own overflow valve, emptying directly onto the floor of the main containment building. Nobody outside of the containment building got radiation poisoning, and considering that that building is massively ******** hot (like, over 200°F or someshit) during reactor operations, the only people who got exposed were the cleanup crew.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:16 pm
well i think they put it as a number 6 proplem not that reacore # 4 has a fire this is like chernobyl  

Artyom -Metro 2033-

Dangerous Raider

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 am
tailsmen
well i think they put it as a number 6 proplem not that reacore # 4 has a fire this is like chernobyl
Nah, the USSR was retarded enough to use carbon in their reactor cores, which was not only the cause of the explosion (apparently carbon zip-kicks uranium fission), but it was also the burning substance in question. Anyone who's ever tried to put out magnesium can tell you, you do NOT ******** with a metal fire, it will chew you up and spit you out. Every common fire extinguisher just makes magnesium angrier.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:43 am
Fresnel
tailsmen
Nah, the USSR was retarded enough to use carbon in their reactor cores, which was not only the cause of the explosion (apparently carbon zip-kicks uranium fission), but it was also the burning substance in question. Anyone who's ever tried to put out magnesium can tell you, you do NOT ******** with a metal fire, it will chew you up and spit you out. Every common fire extinguisher just makes magnesium angrier.
If I recall they make special fire extinguishers for class D (metal) fires. Then again getting enough of the chemicals to flood a reactor may not be easy.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:55 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
tailsmen
If I recall they make special fire extinguishers for class D (metal) fires. Then again getting enough of the chemicals to flood a reactor may not be easy.
They do now, but they were a new technology when Chernobyl happened. Even today they're rather uncommon, and only stocked in places where metal fires are likely.

Oh ********, apparently there's a graphite-based class D extinguisher. Can you imagine the kind of heat needed to light a fire extinguisher material on fire? O_O  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff