Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:23 pm
So, there's a gun show next week, and my dad told me we might get a lever action 30-30 there. He thinks that it would be a fun thing to have, and also my mom likes cowboy guns. He also told me it has to be a modern production, not an antique. So far, I've looked at the Marlin 336C and a Henry.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 pm
I've got a 336. Good gun. I can't appreciate it as much as I should since my Mosin does pretty much all the same things but with cheaper ammo and better ballistics. confused

Unfortunately, as has been said before, the gun recoils more than it deserves to considering it's average caliber. With a recoil pad on it recoils about the same as the Mosin without one.  

ArmasTermin

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:10 am
/k/ suggested to maybe get a .357 so I can also se .38 special out of it.

Does 30-30 really recoil that much?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:43 pm
Lt Buckner

When I bought mine, I made the mistake of taking five shots in as many minutes. My shoulder hurt like hell for 12 hours! If you do get one, get a recoil pad or shoulder pad jacket. Or get a big bottle of aspirin.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm
YOu have to be a big p***y for it to even feel like x54R. I shoot a good 200 rounds out of mine one session and didn't feel worse for wear at all. With the factory hard plastic butt. Sure, it recoils harder than .22, .357, or .223, but it doesn't recoil anywhere near as much as a full-power rifle caliber. While I can afford more x54R, I can actually SHOOT the .30-30. .35REM was quite stout in the platform, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm
Lt Buckner

it's almost the same as a 7.62x39 from an AK.

except your shoulder is going to feel it alot more because there's no moving bolt to absorb anything whatsoever.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:55 am
I've never fired an AK.

Doesn't 30-30 have similar ballistics to x39?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 am
Lt Buckner
I've never fired an AK.

Dimensionally it's closer to 7.62 NATO. The round has more energy when it leaves the barrel (2,580J with a 150-grain round versus the 7.62x39's 2,056 with a 154-grain round).

For the record, I know very little (translation- jack s**t) about ballistics, but I'm assuming the force in Joules the round has is going to affect recoil. Newton's Third Law and whatnot.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:01 pm
Since Armas is looking to sell his Marlin maybe you could help each other out. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:53 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Lt Buckner
I've never fired an AK.

Dimensionally it's closer to 7.62 NATO. The round has more energy when it leaves the barrel (2,580J with a 150-grain round versus the 7.62x39's 2,056 with a 154-grain round).

For the record, I know very little (translation- jack s**t) about ballistics, but I'm assuming the force in Joules the round has is going to affect recoil. Newton's Third Law and whatnot.
Divide force in joules by mass of the gun in kilograms and that'll give you an accurate scale of what the recoil feels like. It's got no name for the units as far as I know, but if you compare that number to other guns, you'll get an idea of what kicks harder than what.

ETA: Apparently it's "specific energy", and most often used to find out the energy density of food, but goddammit it works here too.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 pm
Floyd
Lt Buckner

When I bought mine, I made the mistake of taking five shots in as many minutes. My shoulder hurt like hell for 12 hours! If you do get one, get a recoil pad or shoulder pad jacket. Or get a big bottle of aspirin.

You've said this kind of thing before and I still think it's ridiculous. 30-30 might recoil more than it should, but it doesn't hurt.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 pm
Lt Buckner

30-30 recoil would probably not bother you. It's really not that bad. Choosing .357 Magnum might be a good route. It would be cheaper and you could fit more in the tube so it would be more fun when plinking. But keep in mind that 30-30 will hold more energy and do it farther and faster. That being said, you're not 21 so you'd have to have someone buy you .357/.38 ammo, while you could get 30-30 on your own.  

ArmasTermin

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 am
ArmasTermin
You've said this kind of thing before and I still think it's ridiculous. 30-30 might recoil more than it should, but it doesn't hurt.

In my case, some of it I chalk up to having early signs of arthritis. That runs in my family. The rest is on the light weight of the carbine I owned and the design of the buttstock.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:13 pm
ArmasTermin
Lt Buckner

30-30 recoil would probably not bother you. It's really not that bad. Choosing .357 Magnum might be a good route. It would be cheaper and you could fit more in the tube so it would be more fun when plinking. But keep in mind that 30-30 will hold more energy and do it farther and faster. That being said, you're not 21 so you'd have to have someone buy you .357/.38 ammo, while you could get 30-30 on your own.
Nah, most places will let you by a pistol caliber if it's for a carbine. I can buy .45ACP, though I don't own a pistol in that caliber anymore, just a carbine.
Alternatively, I pretty well just buy whatever I want from the gunshop even though he knows EXACTLY what I own because I bought most of it through him.

I have a Marlin 1894 for a while, in .357. I loved the thing, but do some research if you're having problems. Their newer models need a bit of an action workover to work best because they started pumping them out faster with an expected drop in quality. Mine didn't like wide-face flatnose at all, because the extractor was too tight to allow the round to slide under it quick enough. Fifteen minutes later, that was fixed.  

uryu ishida

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 pm
Floyd
ArmasTermin

In my case, some of it I chalk up to having early signs of arthritis. That runs in my family. The rest is on the light weight of the carbine I owned and the design of the buttstock.
It has never hurt me, and I'm rather small. I've even gone through a couple high round-count sessions.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff