Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:19 pm
Just a thought but buffer tubes are essentially extentions of return springs that reduce recoil dramatically don't particularly interfere with the overall length of a rifle if you build the stock around it right?

I was thinking since the FAL SA58 already can use a M4 stock why not just add a buffer tube onto the platform to reduce the recoil?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:48 am
The entire design of the M16 is built around the buffer tube. To just throw a buffer tube into an existing design would be a massive ********. The bolt carrier of an AR retracts almost completely into the stock during recoil. A smaller bolt like you'd find in almost every other rifle would get lost in there and be extremely prone to jamming.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:36 am
the entire length of travel of the bolt carrier of the FAL takes place within the receiver it already has, to make it travel twice that distance would throw the intended functionality of the original design out of whack.
there would have to be tons of trial and error and changes in the spring length/strength, the size/weight of the bolt carrier or buffer if you use one for it, etc.

better to make a whole new gun designed around the concept.
or use an AR10  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:50 am
Could do it, but not the standard AR-15 buffer. More like the SAW buffer.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 am
Pripyat Dawn
Minimis have buffers?

Got a pic?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:52 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Minimis have buffers?

Got a pic?
Nope, but the M249 SAW PIP kit does. The standard Minimi has a steel tube stock. The full-sized plastic one, and possibly the M4-style one do, though, not sure on the folding Para one.

I don't. It's a little steel rod with a spring behind it that the bolt slams into.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:59 am
Recon_Ninja_985
the entire length of travel of the bolt carrier of the FAL takes place within the receiver it already has, to make it travel twice that distance would throw the intended functionality of the original design out of whack.
there would have to be tons of trial and error and changes in the spring length/strength, the size/weight of the bolt carrier or buffer if you use one for it, etc.

or use an AR10
And just lengthening the return spring does nothing. So doing this lenghtening to a FAL wouldn't do much but doing it to something like a G36 which has an internally housed bolt carrier but it's smaller than an M16s since the G36 did away with a buffer to begin with.

The G36 isn't interesting you just end up with a T-91 copy.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 am
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Minimis have buffers?

Got a pic?
Nope, but the M249 SAW PIP kit does. The standard Minimi has a steel tube stock. The full-sized plastic one, and possibly the M4-style one do, though, not sure on the folding Para one.

I don't. It's a little steel rod with a spring behind it that the bolt slams into.
Does this 'buffer' reduce recoil?  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:14 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Minimis have buffers?

Got a pic?

It's the only thing that it does.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 am
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Minimis have buffers?

Got a pic?

Maybe but in an AR it's the only thing that pushes the bolt back forward so I'm just being sure.

Since the tube is just an accessory on the SAW which isn't required I'm sure the same thing can be applied to a FAL.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:35 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Minimis have buffers?

Got a pic?

Maybe but in an AR it's the only thing that pushes the bolt back forward so I'm just being sure.

Since the tube is just an accessory on the SAW which isn't required I'm sure the same thing can be applied to a FAL.
Probably. But since it's less about making the recoil less, and more about making it feel like less, which means spreading it out over time, mostly, it's at it's most effective when you're on full automatic. The biggest thing the FAL needs is to have less mass slamming around with the bolt  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 am
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn

Probably. But since it's less about making the recoil less, and more about making it feel like less, which means spreading it out over time, mostly, it's at it's most effective when you're on full automatic. The biggest thing the FAL needs is to have less mass slamming around with the bolt
I don't think you could lighten much of anything besides the barrel length and stock on a battle rifle.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:35 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985

or use an AR10
And just lengthening the return spring does nothing. So doing this lenghtening to a FAL wouldn't do much but doing it to something like a G36 which has an internally housed bolt carrier but it's smaller than an M16s since the G36 did away with a buffer to begin with.

Maybe then the G36 would have a decent stock on it. User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985

or use an AR10

Maybe then the G36 would have a decent stock on it. User Image
I'd just use M4 stock kit they use on SA58s but if you insist on going the expensive route...  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items