Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Shamanism and Witchcraft Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Swamp Shaman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 pm
I do not post in this guild often, but I am curious as to your experiences with Shamanic practice and/or Shamans. I my self follow a strongly shamanic path with a mix of witchcraft tradition.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:33 pm
Shamanism is one particular cultural tradition of otherworld travel. I have never met an actual shaman, although I've met a lot of people who use the word anthropologically (and in error).

When you say "witchcraft tradition", which witchcraft tradition do you mean?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

doistu

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:24 am
I've always been interested in Shamanic journeying but have been unable to find any resources sad  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:35 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Shamanism is one particular cultural tradition of otherworld travel. I have never met an actual shaman, although I've met a lot of people who use the word anthropologically (and in error).

I will have to disagree with you, Shamanism is much more than a means of otherworld travel. In ancient times the Shaman would serve as healer, priest, historian, and spirit talker. The Shaman was the tribe's link to the otherworld.

When I say witchcraft tradition I mean god and goddess worship.  

The Swamp Shaman

The Swamp Shaman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm
doistu
I've always been interested in Shamanic journeying but have been unable to find any resources sad

If you are interested you should read the book "The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner or I could just give you some basics.  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
Sanguina Cruenta

I will have to disagree with you, Shamanism is much more than a means of otherworld travel. In ancient times the Shaman would serve as healer, priest, historian, and spirit talker. The Shaman was the tribe's link to the otherworld.

What she was referring to is that the word "shaman" has been misappropriated over the years. Technically it is an anthropological term that refers to the practices of a specific tribe, however others have co-opted it to cover their own definitions of similar practices.  

ncsweet
Crew

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:55 pm
SludgeGuzzlingShaman

Are you referring to a specific tradition of witchcraft that incorporates the worship of specific deities, or to specific religious traditions that incorporate witchcraft?  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:10 pm
oOGarrettOo
SludgeGuzzlingShaman

Are you referring to a specific tradition of witchcraft that incorporates the worship of specific deities, or to specific religious traditions that incorporate witchcraft?
Not really specific deities just more of the ideas of the Horned Gods and the Triple Goddess. I dont really have a solid set of spiritual beliefs yet.  

The Swamp Shaman

The Swamp Shaman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:13 pm
ncsweet
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
Sanguina Cruenta

What she was referring to is that the word "shaman" has been misappropriated over the years. Technically it is an anthropological term that refers to the practices of a specific tribe, however others have co-opted it to cover their own definitions of similar practices.

I can see your point, when I use the word I refer to the practices that seem to appear universally through out all tribal cultures both ancient and modern.  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:25 pm
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
oOGarrettOo
SludgeGuzzlingShaman

Not really specific deities just more of the ideas of the Horned Gods and the Triple Goddess. I dont really have a solid set of spiritual beliefs yet.
Which witchcraft tradition utilizes the worship of horned gods and triple goddesses?  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

The Swamp Shaman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:50 pm
oOGarrettOo
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
oOGarrettOo
SludgeGuzzlingShaman

Which witchcraft tradition utilizes the worship of horned gods and triple goddesses?
To be honest I skimmed through Spiral Dance by Starhawk and adapted what felt right to me.  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:47 pm
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
To be honest I skimmed through Spiral Dance by Starhawk and adapted what felt right to me.

Most worship I've seen in paganism is a 2 way street- so adapting stuff to you might end up leaving the gods and spirits out in the cold.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 pm
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
oOGarrettOo
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
oOGarrettOo
SludgeGuzzlingShaman

Not all witchcraft incorporates deities...  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 pm
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
Sanguina Cruenta

You are using the word anthropologically. This is hardly rare but nevertheless inappropriate; we are not anthropologists. "Shaman" refers to a Siberian tradition of what you described, not all traditions so related. Different cultures have different words, different traditions, different methods.

"God and goddess worship" is not witchcraft, though some traditions of witchcraft are theistic. Many are not. At any rate, the act of worshipping gods is not witchcraft in itself.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:49 pm
Witchcraft is a practice, not a religion. You don't need to worship or pray to deity to practice witchcraft. Witchcraft is the practice of attuning with nature and energy, and using that energy to bring needed change and effect. And using nature and the earth to bring enlightenment and positivity towards yourself and people around you.

That's how I see it. You can add the tools, and all, but that's an overall view of how I see witchcraft. There are many ways of practising magick.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games