Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
What Witches Believe Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:27 pm
So, I have a witch hangout in Heaven, and some dude came in and asked what witches believed. I said "nothing really, it depends on the witch", and he, quite rightly, called me on it and said "surely there must be SOME things all witches believe, else what is witchcraft?".

So instead of just tossing out the question I tried to compile a short list. The basis of the list is that all witches will believe most things on the list. Quite a few might disagree with one or two points, but they can't disagree on all of them as to me that would put them in the "not a witch" category - that is, I might consider what they do to be similar in some ways to witchcraft, but not witchcraft.

I am interested in input on the List! One thing I've always mused over is "what makes a witch" and I've had some good discussions on it in the past, but it has generally been relegated to the "ineffable" pile. So the List is a helpful thing!
Please let me know if there's something you seriously disagree with, if you'd rephrase anything, or anything you would like to add to the List.

The List of Things Witches Believe:
- That there is energy, and that this energy can be raised, gathered, and manipulated.
- That this energy resides in oneself and in the world around one, including within objects.
- That spirits exist, whatever their nature.
- That the world, and possibly the future, can be further understood via divination.
- That there are Mysteries, and things that can be known.
- That there are other worlds, that one might be able to travel to, if one has the knack and puts in the work.

I am also interested in compiling a list of Things Witches Do, if you would be interested in suggesting items for that list.

Suggested for Inclusion: (please comment)

- That some part of one continues on after death  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 pm
would a belief in the after-life be considered a well accepted belief for witches? i admit i have not met many in my life, as i live in the bible belt of alabama, but the ones i have met seem to have a belief in some sort of after-life.

i'm not sure if "after-life" is an appropriate term here though as i mean to include beliefs such as reincarnation and any other type of life-death-rebirth sort of things along with the belief in spirits of the dead. ... did that make any sense? sweatdrop  

whiporwill-o

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 pm
No, I getcha.

I'm not sure about that one. I think I've met some witches who believe we're sort of absorbed back into the universe, or something, in the same way that one's body is absorbed into the ground - so does that count as an afterlife, or not? I mean, the thing that is "you" sort of ends, but something does continue.

We could rework that idea, though, I think, to be list-suitable.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm
User Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched

Hangout in heaven?

Personally I agree with your first two points.
(- That there is energy, and that this energy can be raised, gathered, and manipulated. - That this energy resides in oneself and in the world around one, including within objects.)

- That spirits exist, whatever their nature.
To an extent I believe this at-least in the context I assume you are suggesting it but I don't like to assume I'm sure that this is true for many witch's when I assume your personal definition of the word "witch" as well but I don't think this point is as likely to be agreed with then the others but other posters.
So that I might not assume could you express your definition of the word witch in the OP and reiterate the context of this point?

- That the world, and possibly the future, can be further understood via divination.
I agree with this, but only under the right conditions that I consider to be unique to each of us.

- That there are Mysteries, and things that can be known.
I think a lot of people "witch" or not could agree with this point.

- That there are other worlds, that one might be able to travel to, if one has the knack and puts in the work.
I wish for more details on this point before I consider if I agree or not.

As for things witch's do, as a part of my definition of a witch I would say that they are practitioners of witchcraft which is obvious in my mind but if you wanted to get more precise you would have to express your definition of witchcraft so that we might be on the same page without confusion.

Anyway those are my first thoughts on the matter.

they must be felt with the heart. — Helen Keller
User Image

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:56 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
No, I getcha.

I'm not sure about that one. I think I've met some witches who believe we're sort of absorbed back into the universe, or something, in the same way that one's body is absorbed into the ground - so does that count as an afterlife, or not? I mean, the thing that is "you" sort of ends, but something does continue.

We could rework that idea, though, I think, to be list-suitable.

that would count, i believe, as it would happen after ones life ended (i hope anyway!). i've never heard the idea before, but it is intriguing. i admit i'm having trouble with wording my intended thoughts for this, lol. i was thinking a more eloquent way of saying we dont just get thrown in the dirt to rot. something happens to our spirits (i'm sure the majority of witches would agree that we all have spirits and i think you covered that one already), we just don't know for a fact what that something is.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:05 pm
Musical: That's sort of the point of the thread: that there's not much of a definition of "witch" beyond "practitioner of witchcraft" or, if you like, "practitioner of magic" - but that would include magicians as well. I'm trying to narrow down some basic beliefs that all witches could agree on. I want these points to be representative of how we all feel about witchcraft, though they need not define it as such or distinguish it from other forms of magical practice.

I suspect the "spirit" one to be the most likely one some witches will disagree with. As I mentioned, I think disagreeing with one or two points would be fine. I suspect many witches will disagree on a couple of things, but that all witches will agree with most of them. "Spirit" is kept intentionally vague in that it can refer to ghosts, guides, wights and so forth. I am interested in keeping this one in particular because I think working with spirits is one of those things that distinguished witches or Cunning Folk historically.

Whiporwill-o: What about "That some part of one continues on after death"? It's sufficiently vague, I think.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:12 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Whiporwill-o: What about "That some part of one continues on after death"? It's sufficiently vague, I think.

i think that would work nicely 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 pm
Alright! I'll add it to the OP under a heading like "up for discussion", so that others can weigh in.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 pm
Witches tend to eat food and sleep in beds. Some might also have jobs to support their witchy habits. They might have pets, or live in apartments, or enjoy watching tv.

Most witches I know enjoy learning, I dunno if that counts as a serious thought or not.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
I suspect the "spirit" one to be the most likely one some witches will disagree with.

all witches believe in spirits. you can buy them at the liquor store. xd sorry, bad joke, but i couldn't resist.  

whiporwill-o

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:21 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Alright! I'll add it to the OP under a heading like "up for discussion", so that others can weigh in.

sounds good 3nodding maybe i'm not too far off, lol  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:21 pm
kage no neko
Most witches I know enjoy learning, I dunno if that counts as a serious thought or not.

That's true. It could be a contender for a "What Witches Do" list, perhaps in an incarnation like "Search constantly for knowledge and understanding", although I think that needs some work. I'm not sure about the "constantly", whether it should be more like "Seek knowledge and understanding continually" or something else entirely.

A good thought.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:37 am
I liked the way you defined it - it made sense, and was still general enough to encompass most practices.

For me, it's always been sort of hard to define, because I think there are a lot of things that fall into the category of "witchcraft", and one doesn't have to do them all to be considered a witch. Not only that but many of the practices aren't necessarily witchcraft in and of themselves, but when grouped with the other things would be seen as such.

To me a witch is someone who in one way or another practices some sort of magic, meaning that they (through spells, prayer, incantations, etc...) try to influence outside events (manipulate energy through force of will). They make charms, talisman, amulets, potions, do divination (of some sort), they may or may not have a spiritual side to their practices (either by having a deep connection to the elements, spirits, or deities...or a combination of them).  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:43 am
too2sweet
I liked the way you defined it - it made sense, and was still general enough to encompass most practices.

For me, it's always been sort of hard to define, because I think there are a lot of things that fall into the category of "witchcraft", and one doesn't have to do them all to be considered a witch. Not only that but many of the practices aren't necessarily witchcraft in and of themselves, but when grouped with the other things would be seen as such.

I agree - which is why I quite like this way of doing it. It's not defining a witch or witchcraft as such, just a list of things we all have in common.

Quote:
To me a witch is someone who in one way or another practices some sort of magic, meaning that they (through spells, prayer, incantations, etc...) try to influence outside events (manipulate energy through force of will). They make charms, talisman, amulets, potions, do divination (of some sort), they may or may not have a spiritual side to their practices (either by having a deep connection to the elements, spirits, or deities...or a combination of them).

We'd need to break that way down. So, if we're to have a "What Witches Do" list, it would start something like " - use magic".

The question is, do we go on to distinguish that further? Like:
- Use magic
- Do so in a way that is.....?

Listing practices is tougher than beliefs, because a witch is perfectly capable of believing something is possible and being able to do it, but never really bothering.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

angel_of_harmony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:45 pm
I am surprised to not see something about a patron god/goddess on this list. Although this varies from person to person, I know no Pagan who doesn't at least believe in the Goddess.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games