LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:48 pm
Okay, I don't think that any of us are old enough to be on medicare or anything, but you have to admit that there are times that you feel ancient. This a place where you can share all of those fun stories if you can still remember them.

You know you're getting old when you look at high school students and a) mistake them for 7th graders, and b) call them kids before you even realize what you've said.

When you find yourself shopping for orthopedic shoes instead of cute, fashionable shoes.

When you realize that several of your favorite shows are now on TV Land, and you remember watching them when they first aired.

When you still consider a floppy disk to be a 5 1/4 diskette.

When you come to the shocking realization that you somehow survived your childhood without the internet because it wasn't available to the public yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 am
Yes, all of these!

You know you're getting old... when you're talking with a teenager and you mention some TV shows, bands, etc. from your childhood and early teen years (Muppet Babies, DuckTales, Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Inspector Gadget, Eureeka's Castle, Doug, Rugrats, Recess, Pepper Ann, etc. for TV shows, Spice Girls and New Kids on the Block for bands), and they look at you and say, "Who???" gonk

...If you can remember when "Thomas and Friends" was called "Shining Time Station," and Ringo Starr (and later George Carlin) played the Conductor, and you actually saw storylines that took place INSIDE the station, not just in the train yard.

...If you can remember when you could just talk about "the Star Wars trilogy" without having to specify WHICH trilogy.

...If you can remember when Joel, not Mike, was the host of "Mystery Science Theater 3000."

...If you can remember when "NYPD Blue" was the most controversial show on TV, your preacher at church preached against it, and you were utterly FLABBERGASTED when you found out that your parents LIKED it. (True story! And this is now one of my favorite shows!)

...When you visit your COLLEGE for the weekend and you realize that you don't know ANYONE there anymore! (This is why I haven't visited that college since Chibi left. There's just no point!)

Okay, and here's one just for laughs (although I daresay I don't think ANY of us have reached this point yet): You find yourself reeeeeeeeally starting to identify with Jeff Dunham's "Walter" character!  

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Object of Affection 150

Shoxide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:28 pm
Lol. Yeah I just had a situation today where I felt old. I was talking with one of my friends at work and every subject we talked about he seemed to know everything about, I forgot how old he was and I asked him and he said 19. I laughed and said,"oh yeah I remember that stage well, thought I knew everything." he didn't laugh, but i thought it was funny. So anyway, yeah you know your getting old when you realize you might not know everything.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 pm
When the newest hockey player on your favourite team is 6 (or more) years younger than you. gonk  

Delightfully Evil LordM

Shameless Bunny

13,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Heckler 50
  • Hygienic 200

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 pm
When you come to realize that you might be a bit too old to wear a Japanese school girl cosplay outfit at a convention... (Then again, I've seen guys wear them too. What do you think, is 25 too old to be wearing one?) sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:11 pm
LilChibiusa
When you come to realize that you might be a bit too old to wear a Japanese school girl cosplay outfit at a convention... (Then again, I've seen guys wear them too. What do you think, is 25 too old to be wearing one?) sweatdrop

Only if you have hairy legs. Uh, do you have hairy legs?  

SeraphimDiablos
Crew

3,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:14 pm
Recently, I helped a Girl Scout Troop earn their Video Production Badge. They got excited about the badge because they like watching a show called "iCarly." Myself and the other videographer who helped me with the Girl Scout Troop had never heard of the show, so we looked it up together. We sat there blushing at what we saw, comparing it to on camera interviews we do with brides and grooms on a regular basis (this guy and I work for a wedding video company, so we interview couples and guests all the time on camera.) I mean, WE could film better stuff than this, and yet IT gets its own show!

Now, it was at this point that we realized that youtube has had a big impact on media. This show looks like something you'd find on youtube, and it's marketed at young girls. If you all can remember being a young girl, all you want to do is be a big star on TV. It's marketed to make something like being a star look more accessible, which is what little girls dream of.

Aside from the fact that the changes in social media made me feel old, I got another rude awakening from the Scouts themselves. Now, I had just turned 26 when I did this, and I am an old Girl Scout myself. After mentioning how I was a Girl Scout at one point in my life and telling them my age, I had a chorus of "Wow! You're old Mrs. Wehking!" They didn't say anything to the guy I was working with (who's two years younger than I am and he's a good looking guy standing next to a short pudgy woman which probably helped him) but I got all the old lady guff because I'm older than Justin Beiber. Of course, the guy I work with likes to refer to me as grandmotherly in behavior, so that just adds to the old lady feel.

Getting old.
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Agh! Those kids! stressed Nothing makes you feel old like being around kids. I remember asking one kid how old he thought I was, and this middle school kid says "35." >.<

As for iCarly, I've actually heard of that show although I don't watch it. I do know that it comes on the Disney Channel, and that my 52-year-old dad likes watching it for some odd reason. Anyway, apparently Disney is the big thing now with teenagers and "tweens." And, Justin Beiber? The kid doesn't even look like he's hit puberty yet! I would hate to be thought of as old just for looking older than him. blaugh When did this gulf between me and the teenage world appear anyway? I remember when Disney was actually cartoons, and the characters were the old recognizable ones you find at Disney World. It's hardly even recognizable anymore. And, when exactly did music videos disappear from MTV?

@Diablos - No, my legs aren't hairy. <.<  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 pm
LilChibiusa
Agh! Those kids! stressed Nothing makes you feel old like being around kids. I remember asking one kid how old he thought I was, and this middle school kid says "35." >.<

As for iCarly, I've actually heard of that show although I don't watch it. I do know that it comes on the Disney Channel, and that my 52-year-old dad likes watching it for some odd reason. Anyway, apparently Disney is the big thing now with teenagers and "tweens." And, Justin Beiber? The kid doesn't even look like he's hit puberty yet! I would hate to be thought of as old just for looking older than him. blaugh When did this gulf between me and the teenage world appear anyway? I remember when Disney was actually cartoons, and the characters were the old recognizable ones you find at Disney World. It's hardly even recognizable anymore. And, when exactly did music videos disappear from MTV?

@Diablos - No, my legs aren't hairy. <.<

Yep, I agree with you! Especially about Justin Bieber! He looks like he should be in about fourth grade! Then again, even when I was a teenager, I never did like teeny-bopper celebrities. I always preferred Harrison Ford and Tom Selleck! blaugh Although I will admit that I actually do kind of like watching iCarly sometimes (except that my ex-boyfriend Stinky liked it too--but this was before he decided that he was too good to watch TV and movies--oh, excuse me, TELEVISION and CINEMA [yes, he actually insists on using these two words all. the. time.] rolleyes ever again). /rant

But yeah... anyway...pass the Geritol, please?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:31 pm
I am guilty of a majority of these...and I'm only 22. DX

It's even worse being in the military. If you can legally drink, you're old. I see all these 18-19 year old kids and I wonder if the dye on their uniforms is still wet...  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 pm
When I was 22, I was at an all girl's college with a military school across the street. Most of the guys were 18 or 19, and I felt like a cougar trying to flirt with them. xp But, now, age differences don't bother me as much anymore. Now I'm just looking at maturity level, level of responsibility the takes, initiative, and other general good qualities.

I still have my Walkman. It's in the top right drawer of my dresser. Considering that the 80s are coming back, it starting to make me feel cool instead of old. I guess I'm just having a good age day. blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 am
LilChibiusa
When I was 22, I was at an all girl's college with a military school across the street. Most of the guys were 18 or 19, and I felt like a cougar trying to flirt with them. xp

Yes! This! Totally! And I was 21 when I graduated from said all-girl college. sweatdrop  

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:15 pm
You know, I used to think that a three year age difference was a huge deal, and now I think three years makes little or no difference. Getting older definitely makes you look at different age groups and gaps in ages differently. I seriously can't tell the difference between high school kids and middle school kids anymore, and I'm only 25! xp  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 pm
LilChibiusa
I seriously can't tell the difference between high school kids and middle school kids anymore, and I'm only 25! xp

I just got OUT of high school and can't tell the difference most of the time xD There's a kid who ordered a grape cigarillo from me at my place of work just the other day - couldn't have been older than 14. Yet when we scanned his ID, everything went through perfectly fine - he turned out to be like, 23. Wtf.  

SeraphimDiablos
Crew

3,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Oranoriel of Tir na NOg

6,600 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 am
Well, let's see...Hmmmmm. I know I am getting old because I start into a room with a definite purpose in mind and when I arrive, I can't for the life of me remember what the devil I went into that room for! Oh, and there are times when I cannot think what the name of something is and have to resort to Charades to figure it out with some help from family and/or friends! Oh, yes...one more thing...now what was that?  
Ye Olde Lobby

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff