Submit

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:53 pm
Hi. I'm new here, but I have questions before I post the member profile thing. ^^;

What exactly is a furry? I think I know the gist of it but I still would like an explanation please.

What's a fursona? Is it like the type of animal your furry side is?

And that's it for now.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 pm
It's not required if you're worried. You should be aware the guild is looking at possibly merging/starting a new version of this thread too. You can vote on it if you like!
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=21686159
Anyone's welcome to have their input.

As for what a furry is, the best definition to exist seems to be "a fan of anthropomorphic creatures". It's all inclusive and yet still has the requirement that you are a 'fan' of it. It's like the difference between owning a motorcycle and being a biker. Oh, and usually these creatures are animals with human characteristics/humans with animal characteristics. Historic example: Werewolves, Naga, Bugs Bunny, Tony the Tiger, etc.

A fursona is just like a persona for role playing, it's a character you create. It can represent yourself or it can be like a character in a story. It's pretty open ended to what it can be. Many people use their favorite animals for their fursona's species.

Note that there are those who take a spiritual approach to their fursonas, which would require more explanation than I gave. Many of the same ideas apply since they are often used to role play.  

Garek Maxwell

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:10 pm
Okay. So what's a anthropomorphic? I feel kinda stupid for not knowing things like this considering I've been called a furry before ^^'  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:28 pm
Bloody Rosen Knight
Okay. So what's a anthropomorphic? I feel kinda stupid for not knowing things like this considering I've been called a furry before ^^'

Apologies in advanced for the late reply. Had to leave the house for a bit. Also, I got a cut on my finger so typos are probably going to be frequent. >.<

In Short:
Giving objects or non-humans human characteristics. This includes speech, physical appearance, thought, emotions, etc.

In Long:
Anthropomorphics is giving things human characteristics. It's an academic term and I've heard it used in sociology and anthropology. In those fields, you'd hear it when discussing what separates us from animals. Koko the Gorilla is commonly argued over, where scientists debate whether or not she knows and understands sign language, or is just immitating people around her for attention and food. (Very few still argue this.) The problem is when a researcher says a dog understands how they feel or can understand their language. They may, or they may not. Research is sorta iffy here and good research avoids this.

That's the scientific field's take on it, which I think gives a better perspective on the whole of things. In the furry fandom though it's usually simpler. Most furries just mish-mash together human and animal characteristics until they are satisfied. To some, it's a human with cat ears and tail. To others, it's walking on all fours but having human speech (and I assume vocal chords...) and intelligence. Other's just like werewolves stuck in a perpetual full moon essentially. razz  

Garek Maxwell

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 pm
Garek Maxwell
Bloody Rosen Knight

Apologies in advanced for the late reply. Had to leave the house for a bit. Also, I got a cut on my finger so typos are probably going to be frequent. >.<

In Short:
Giving objects or non-humans human characteristics. This includes speech, physical appearance, thought, emotions, etc.

In Long:
Anthropomorphics is giving things human characteristics. It's an academic term and I've heard it used in sociology and anthropology. In those fields, you'd hear it when discussing what separates us from animals. Koko the Gorilla is commonly argued over, where scientists debate whether or not she knows and understands sign language, or is just immitating people around her for attention and food. (Very few still argue this.) The problem is when a researcher says a dog understands how they feel or can understand their language. They may, or they may not. Research is sorta iffy here and good research avoids this.

That's the scientific field's take on it, which I think gives a better perspective on the whole of things. In the furry fandom though it's usually simpler. Most furries just mish-mash together human and animal characteristics until they are satisfied. To some, it's a human with cat ears and tail. To others, it's walking on all fours but having human speech (and I assume vocal chords...) and intelligence. Other's just like werewolves stuck in a perpetual full moon essentially. razz

oh okay! Speaking of tails i still need to make mine...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:43 pm
Wow, you're really new to furry!

Garek seems to have it handled here pretty well, and I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any more of them. I've been around the fandom long enough to answer most things. 3nodding  

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 pm
lol yup. ^w^ I'm designing it to be a wolfy suit though~ with fully functional tail and ears! X3 i found the how to for the tail on wolftronix.com and me and a friend of mine designed similar plans for animatronic ears.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm
Bloody Rosen Knight
lol yup. ^w^ I'm designing it to be a wolfy suit though~ with fully functional tail and ears! X3 i found the how to for the tail on wolftronix.com and me and a friend of mine designed similar plans for animatronic ears.

Oh, you're making a fursuit?

I've tried my hand at making parts, but I just never have the time to finish!  

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:47 pm
shoki_de_nai
Bloody Rosen Knight

Oh, you're making a fursuit?

I've tried my hand at making parts, but I just never have the time to finish!

yeah but with school out If i can just get the parts I'll easily be done quickly 4laugh  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:37 pm
Making a costume so soon?

This cookie doesn't need milk, guys cool  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm
[-Erik-]
Making a costume so soon?

...what?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:53 pm
Bloody Rosen Knight
...what?

Erik is..a bit cooky. xp

(*Whisper whisper* I don't know what he means either.)

[-Erik-]

I can be the milk to your cookies, Erik! heart

(I don't know exactly what this means either, but I like the sounds of it!)  

Garek Maxwell

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm
hahaha I think Imma like this community XD anyways, I'm going to be working on my furry sketch for my fursona (again)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:03 pm
...I am always so misunderstood.

-seppuku-  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm
[-Erik-]
...I am always so misunderstood.

-seppuku-

Well I never heard that phrase before. Can you explain it then?  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff