Submit

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 pm
I've decided that im gonna put another AR15 together. this time im gonna use a dissipator upper from palmetto
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2243.php

as for the lower I could use some suggestions as to where I can find the cheapest complete AR lower possible. I'd prefer not to use plumcrazy's C15 polymer lower because I plan on getting a SSAR15 bumpfire stock down the road  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:08 am
I think CMMG sells some cheap lowers. 150 for a stripped lower.

ETA: Also, you will get unquestionably better reliability from a rifle-length gas tube.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:10 am
Fresnel

ETA: Also, you will get unquestionably better reliability from a rifle-length gas tube.
oh, I know that.

but then again you dont really see 16 inch AR's with full handguards and rifle length sight radius unless it's a dissipator so that's what i'm going for.
if it had a middy gas system i'd be happier

I dont really want a 20 inch barrel.

not going for a stripped lower, even though I have the mag block for the vise and all the punches and tools to add an LPK and know how to assemble everything, I still dread putting it all together....but maybe i'll consider it  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:45 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

oh, I know that.

but then again you dont really see 16 inch AR's with full handguards and rifle length sight radius unless it's a dissipator so that's what i'm going for.

not going for a stripped lower, even though I have the mag block for the vise and all the punches and tools to add an LPK and know how to assemble everything, I still dread putting it all together....but maybe i'll consider it
Okay, see, this is what I don't get... if it's got a rifle-length sight radius, and the upper receiver proper and rear sight aren't altered, how does it NOT have a rifle-length gas system?

Eh, putting a lower together isn't that bad. The worst part of building mine was discovering that the factory trigger didn't fit in the factory trigger hole in the lower receiver. Had to take a file to it to widen the hole. Rectangular peg in an elliptical hole. ******** retards. Still works like a dream, though...  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

oh, I know that.

Okay, see, this is what I don't get... if it's got a rifle-length sight radius, and the upper receiver proper and rear sight aren't altered, how does it NOT have a rifle-length gas system?

Eh, putting a lower together isn't that bad. The worst part of building mine was discovering that the factory trigger didn't fit in the factory trigger hole in the lower receiver. Had to take a file to it to widen the hole. Rectangular peg in an elliptical hole. ******** retards. Still works like a dream, though...

it's probably due to the barrel length, perhaps a rifle length gas system doesnt work as reliably in a 16 inch.

sounds like you ordered the larger pins to put inside a small pin lower theres 2 different sizes  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:22 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

oh, I know that.

it's probably due to the barrel length, perhaps a rifle length gas system doesnt work as reliably in a 16 inch.

sounds like you ordered the larger pins to put inside a small pin lower theres 2 different sizes
I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference, really. But my point is, if the sights are rifle-length apart, and the upper receiver/rear sight and front sight/gas block are standardized, how can it use any less than a rifle length gas tube?

Oh no no, the PINS fit fine. Actually, it was a matching RRA lower and parts kit. The problem was that the actual physical trigger would not fit through the hole cut for the trigger to fit through.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 am
Fresnel

I know where to find stripped lowers for 49.99 xp

I can find LPK's for 40

and I can also find stocks with a buffer for 40 or 50 as well.

I can build a complete lower for under 150 minus transfer fees and shipping

you can pretty much find everything you need to build an AR on the cheap here
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/

it's all pretty good quality stuff, i've made quite a few orders from them before.

oh, and Rguns appears to have an very nice 20" setup
AR uppers
its the one with the flip up front sight for 430  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:27 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

I know where to find stripped lowers for 49.99 xp

I can find LPK's for 40

and I can also find stocks with a buffer for 40 or 50 as well.

I can build a complete lower for under 150 minus transfer fees and shipping
Well then, I think we have a winner. xd

Quote:
you can pretty much find everything you need to build an AR on the cheap here
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/

it's all pretty good quality stuff, i've made quite a few orders from them before.

oh, and Rguns appears to have an very nice 20" setup
AR uppers
its the one with the flip up front sight for 430
I think my next upper is going to be an American Spirit Arms side-charging upper. I love the idea, and I've always wanted to try it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The upper I've been looking at is about $1000 flat, but it's everything I wanted from an upper. 20", flash hider, flat top, railed gas block, 1:9 gov't profile barrel... slap an MOE handguard on it and I'm good to go. Given the reliability I've gotten from my 20" AR, I don't even think a piston is worth the investment.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 pm
ah ******** it. I might just save money and get another 74

but I want precision.....

i'll figure it out.

aha! I remembered that I already ordered a carry handle/rear sight for 20 bucks, im not gonna back out now. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:17 am
>>want precision
>>16" barrel

Wat.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:08 am
Fresnel
>>want precision
>>16" barrel

Wat.
AR15 in itself is already precision.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
>>want precision
>>16" barrel

Wat.
I wonder how shoddy an AR would have to be made in order to compete with an AK? 11.5" pencil profile barrel in a non-free-floated handguard? And a notch rear sight, of course. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:53 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
>>want precision
>>16" barrel

Wat.
I wonder how shoddy an AR would have to be made in order to compete with an AK? 11.5" pencil profile barrel in a non-free-floated handguard? And a notch rear sight, of course. xd
lol.

well from what i've read, dissipator style uppers are capable of achieving similar accuracy to 20" rifles

it's mostly to do with the sights, thats why most 16" carbines arent as accurate due to the smaller sight radius  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:56 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
>>want precision
>>16" barrel

Wat.
lol.

well from what i've read, dissipator style uppers are capable of achieving similar accuracy to 20" rifles

it's mostly to do with the sights, thats why most 16" carbines arent as accurate due to the smaller sight radius
Right, I've heard before that 90% of the accuracy increase in a longer barrel is because of the extended sight radius. I kind of wish I could play around with a 16", a 14.5", and a 20" upper, to see how the balance and overall weight change. Maybe a 24", also. Always been interested with the idea of a 24" upper on an AR.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
>>want precision
>>16" barrel

Wat.
lol.

Right, I've heard before that 90% of the accuracy increase in a longer barrel is because of the extended sight radius. I kind of wish I could play around with a 16", a 14.5", and a 20" upper, to see how the balance and overall weight change. Maybe a 24", also. Always been interested with the idea of a 24" upper on an AR.
yup.

and to correct the short gas system deal, I could always use a carrier weight or a heavy buffer, or both...but a carbine gas system never really gave me trouble.

maybe I could use them to play around with cycling rates when I get a slide stock  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff