Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Gaia Spirit Week Guild!

Back to Guilds

Hang out with your friends and stay updated on all the news of Spirit Week AT THE SAME TIME! What a deal! ;D 

Tags: spirit week, user event, classes, hangout 

Reply Archives
WINTER EVENT! Planning & Discussion Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Varlot
Vice Captain

9,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 am
Hey guys!

For some reason this year there was a lot of talk about doing a winter event, more than there usually is. So let's talk about it.
As most of you probably know, our first year, o8, we did a 'Winter Break' event.
We had some plans for that event, and they kind of fell through. I don't know if any of you guys were around for it/remember it, but basically we had three main events for Winter Break.
1. A snowball fight between the classes that was meant to take place via forums and things. Something like the old Gaia events, like the Halloween one. We were going to have special graphics for each class and what not... This is the thing that fell apart the most, but it could still be really fun, with some work.
2. A winter formal. This was essentially an RP event. Obviously, this is still very much something we can do, if you guys want.
3. A secret santa event! Yes, that traditional gift exchange. This ended up being a lot more work for me than I realized, but that's A-OK! haha, yeah. If we did another winter event, this would almost definitely be a part of it.
The event was only three days long, instead of the week long Spirit Week, it took place over the weekend about a week before Christmas. No, it doesn't have a lot of dressing up built into it.

SO!
What does this mean for you?
I really really really seriously want your input on this. You, you personally. Not the mass collective, you. You reading this.
I'm not promising (sorry, I just can't commit this far away from the event) that this is going to happen, but it's looking like a real possibility. So how can we make this the best?

Talking points:
- We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?
- Should we have more dressing up?
- Do you like the idea of a shorter event?
- What do you think of the snowball fight?
- What can we do to make it more Gaia oriented, and not necessarily class?
- Would you participate in an RP event?
- Anything you hate?
- Anything we're obviously missing that should be going on?
- ?????

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 am
- We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?
V.V I really like Lightning Rod's ideas she had down there.
Of course! I think this brings great fun to the events. Santa/Snowman/Elf Dressup Days?
I like the idea of a shorter event, but maybe 5 days. The weekdn is just a little too short.
Sounds like a great idea.
- What can we do to make it more Gaia oriented, and not necessarily class? Do something that allows users to choose a side or their own group for the event with winter-like themes/names. They would choose from a list of probably 4 groups you already made up. Possibly place them in evenly proportioned groups? Or even let them choose, whatever you think. This way, participants may feel more closely related with bigger teams?
I'm not big on RP, but for this event i would give it a shot!
- Anything you hate?
How could I possibly hate anything? xD
There should be more publically pre-schedualed meeting times, posted by you,to meet up in towns/zOMG/any flash or forum related fun, so that
users don't miss out because they didn't know what was going on.

Jaxent

Versatile Sex Symbol

15,100 Points
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Partygoer 500

The Lightning Rod of Hate

Dangerous Genius

15,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:59 am
I really like one & three. Not sure how I feel about two since I haven't RP'd in ages, but I'm sure that would be fun too.

Perhaps winter/Christmas themed dress up days? Carol writing contests? Art contests? Heck, you could have the GSW mule dress up as Santa and let people take screenies with him. Just throwing out some ideas.

Yes, definitely! It was one of the best parts of GSW!

The longer the better, in my opinion! But I realize it takes a LOT of work to pull off this sort of thing, so what ever you guys can managed will be awesome.

Sounds interesting! Maybe set up schedule times so more people can get together all at once?

You could include the NPC's. Instead of having class snowball teams, maybe something like " Team Moria " , " Team Ian " and so on. Probably better to do the main NPC's or just a few of the more popular one's so it doesn't get confusing. OR the GSW mods could lead their own teams! We love it when you guys make yourself a part of everything!

It would depend on how you guys do it. I'm extremely rusty, but willing to try!

- Anything you hate?
Nope! ( Ironic, huh? xD )

I may have just missed it but around what time are you guys planning to do this? Month wise?

I hope you all can pull this off! It sounds like a lot of fun! If you need any help, just ask!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:25 am
- We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more
closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?

Instead of having just avatar contests maybe do more contests? i like the carol writing idea Hate said. Actual singing contests? Also from Hate- the GSW mule as Santa and us taking screenies with, i think is an amazing idea xD It would be like the persons responsibility to take the screenie and it could be like memorabilia!

Definitely! I love dressing up :] Santa/Elves/Reindeer's/Famous Christmas characters!

Like other I love longer events haha but if its too much for you guys, I don't want you all to stress over it because we are being greedy with days ;D

It sounds awesome I myself have no clue how it would play out because its 5am and I cant wrap my mind around it lol

Teams are really the only way to go with this, or a set outfit[not expensive] for..the teams cx. I do like the idea if us being Team you guys biggrin

This is a depends on how it all comes together, I too haven't RP'd in YEARS

- Anything you hate?

Broccoli

Price limit on the secret Santa maybe? Maybe with you guys planning the event you could have "elf" helpers to promote the hell out of the event :#

Brutal_Love_Pastry

animekittyninja-aka kiki

Taken Cleric

18,950 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:01 am
Maybe every day you could do polls on our favorite activities to do on Gaia while doing Gaia-themed trivia questions. (Either based on the website/ NPCs/ or the world itself since that's what Gaia's supposed to mean.)

Always! whee

If this will be a few days to a week before Christmas, then a short event might be best since many of us will probably be with family around that time or setting up different things or what ever, so having others dedicate a week or more to this would be tough. sweatdrop

I'm interested to see what you guys have in mind for this one...

I like others' ideas of having you guys making your own teams so that some of the classes get mixed together, that way "classes" are eliminated. (Although, if people want to, the can wear the colors of their class just to represent which years are sided with who.) Each mod could pick one inexpensive item to represent them and people sided with them have to wear it. 3nodding

I love RPing! Although, I've learned in the past that for something this big, it gets pretty chaotic and not every one gets noticed...

- Anything you hate?
Nope. Pretty much love it all. 3nodding

If we do a secret Santa, how about you have us do it in the form of anons to each other. That way, it's one less thing for you guys to worry about and we can give each other goofy messages that make each other laugh as we post 'em in the thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:33 am
Yay! <3

Well, i think the closest you can get to Spirit Week is having dress up days. Or, just dressing up in general? Meaning, not changing your outfit every day, but instead keep one general theme the entire weekend/week/5 days/ whatever.

I'm not sure. Like I said earlier, maybe include dressing up, but not every day. Possibly every couple days or just one theme the entire duration of the event.
One thing I'd like to bring up though: Not every Gaian celebrates the holiday of Christmas. If there ends up being a whole dress-up event, I think that some people would feel sort of... left out? And/or, it'd be really difficult to come up with themes that are holiday oriented, not Christmas oriented.
EDIIIIT: Oh! And I think the days possibly should not be... such a big part of the event? Like have it be just a little event, and not go all out with it by having contests and stuff. Just a theme.

Hmm. I've always liked the whole week thing. I definitely do NOT like the weekend idea, lulz. I'm leaning towards Jax's idea, making it 5 days~

Honestly, I don't understand it. xD

I like the other's ideas, making teams according to Mods! (:
And really just emphasize somewhere that this event "should not be class-oriented, but should be about having fun with and enjoying time with everyone."

I myself, would.
Though, I personally don't think this should be a main event. I think that it should be something that is happening along the side, that is completely optional. I feel that if it's a main event, that most people would feel like they have to join in, when they really don't enjoy/don't know how to RP.

- Anything you hate?
Why would I hate something? That'd be so harsh! D:

Not really, but I think that we'd have to make this event spectacular. Usually around Winter Break/Holiday time there are A LOT of events similar to this, so this event would have to be super-duper amazing;y awesome to stand out among others.

I really, really do love this Winter Break event idea. <33

Childishly Mature
Vice Captain

Dangerous Citizen

8,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

SheThoughtSheDid
Vice Captain

Anxious Nerd

16,550 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:41 am
I like the ideas everyone before me has posted so far. More contests, basically.

YES D:<

Although a whole week is fun, I'd prefer a shorter event for winter break.

Sounds suxy.

Teams could be an option (like Barton, Durem or whatever) but then the problem comes to: what if a team doesn't get enough love? Would they be randomly assigned? If that were the case, it'd be harder to manage because of new people who would probably hear about the event and join up.

I'm not an RPer, so I probably wouldn't. Especially if it's really active xD I guess it'd depend.

- Anything you hate?
Nope!

Could you post the thread of the old winter event? Since I wasn't a part of it I wanna look around, it might spark some idea.

Also, stairs.

- ?????
Profit!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:46 am
Childishly Mature

I'm not sure. Like I said earlier, maybe include dressing up, but not every day. Possibly every couple days or just one theme the entire duration of the event.
One thing I'd like to bring up though: Not every Gaian celebrates the holiday of Christmas. If there ends up being a whole dress-up event, I think that some people would feel sort of... left out? And/or, it'd be really difficult to come up with themes that are holiday oriented, not Christmas oriented.

omg this. totally forgot to mention even though i meant to. The problem with not including the winter holidays (xmas, hannukah, etc) what else is left? snow? :s I want to say maybe one of the days could be like a "Winter Holi-day" where you dress up as whatever holiday you do celebrate, but maybe some people don't celebrate any.  

SheThoughtSheDid
Vice Captain

Anxious Nerd

16,550 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Amon of the shadows generated a random number between 20 and 10 ... !

Amon of the shadows

7,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:35 am
ninja
original Winter Break did. How? went well i thought..

- Should we have more dressing up?i think we should dress up..bit more fun and interactive..^^

- Do you like the idea of a shorter event?well no but who ever host the event should have the say so...

- What do you think of the snowball fight?love snowball fight definitely should have one ..should wear team colors...

- What can we do to make it more Gaia oriented, and not necessarily class?team color shirts.. or matching Gaia accessories...just a thought.

- Would you participate in an RP event?yes...^^

- Anything you hate?nope not really ....all sound good to me..

- Anything we're obviously missing that should be going on? winter art contest...I'll be a judge if you want...^^
thanks,Amon  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:40 am
- We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How? No idea.
- Should we have more dressing up? Dress up days are awesome.
- Do you like the idea of a shorter event? I'm okay with it. Maybe 4-5 days as someone else suggested, so people don't miss it.
- What do you think of the snowball fight? I'm not sure how this would work.
- What can we do to make it more Gaia oriented, and not necessarily class? Not really sure. Maybe instead of year joined, people could be grouped by username? Ends with a consonant, ends with vowel, ends with a non-letter character, etc. Something like that.
- Would you participate in an RP event? Probably not. sweatdrop
- Anything you hate?
I don't really want the Secret Santa thing to turn into a big anon gifting spree. They've completely taken over the last few actual site event forums and it'd kind of suck to have the whole thing devolve into people just posting to get things/show off what they've gotten.
- Anything we're obviously missing that should be going on? Maybe have a few people patrolling the Welcome to Gaia forum to say hi to newbies and tell them about the event?

It's not an obviously missing thing, but Modmas did something that I think could be fun, if it's not too labor intensive and too Christmassy. There was a large tree and people made and submitted little ornaments to decorate it. There's a lot of creativity going on during Spirit Week, and people like working together to make things, so I think it could be pretty enjoyable to see how the tree looks at the end of it.

Or maybe have snowmen we can dress. Snowmen are pretty secular.  

goozma

Buggy Punk

-ProcrastinatingSpazz-

Spoopy Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 am
See daily theme idea below~

See daily theme idea below again? xD

Yes. After around the third or fourth day I found myself thinking "c'mon, it isn't class day yet?" Three to four days sounds good to me.

I don't fully understand how it would work, but I do remember the attempts at setting up graphics for it. Sorry it didn't pan out! I think it still sounds like a neat idea. I'd just need to be briefed on the rules. o uo

This is the theme idea I kept referring to above~
Perhaps, if you wanted to risk really confusing people who don't actually read rules, you could have a different theme per day. Fans of a certain NPC. Cat lovers vs dog lovers. My favorite color is ___. Stuff like that. Each day, people would end up with different teammates, promoting the idea of meeting new people and not just stick closely with the same people. It could also help to avoid intense rivalry that isn't necessary or the point of these things. Maybe the last day could go back to class just to tie in Spirit Week a little more, but that isn't required either.

I love RPing! Usually. I haven't done a simple dance RP before, and my primary concern nowadays is that I like to type up paragraphs and a lot of people tend to just write *walks in and looks around* and that frustrates me and makes me leave instead of participate. If it was just a dance RP or something, I'm afraid I may also grow a bit bored. I like action and drama. xD But I'm sure a lot of people would still enjoy it. Threads like that pop up all over during events like the Gaiaversary threads.

- Anything you hate?
Who could hate something Spirit Week related? D:

Some way to help the newbies get involved? I didn't notice that many during Spirit Week this time around. Someone above mentioned the idea of "helper elves" going around posting to invite people. That sounds neat to me. Some more mules that people can post as? They could handle the gifting for the Secret Santa or other WGSW things as well.

- ?????
My exams are right before Christmas, so having it too close to the holiday could mean a lot of people are studying or already on vacation and would be too busy to participate. You could conduct a poll asking users when they'd prefer to have a Winter Spirit Week.
Also, for the Secret Santa, consider having a recommended price range in the rules/description of the event. I'm sometimes worried about participating in those because some people will throw in something small they got from daily chance and then take something good from someone else. So it's not really kept fair and even. You could say people can throw in expensive things if they're feeling really generous, but warn them that the general item cost is ~20k (for example) so they probably won't get something back of equal worth. And anything below that price range will not be accepted and will be returned if sent in. Possibly attempt to prohibit anonymous gifts as well? Limit of one gift per person to keep all the numbers even? Just some things that came to mind. I've never done a Secret Santa either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:36 am
Dressing up, having daily contests, a raffle... just don't do an entire week since people will probably be more busy during this break than during the summer.

Definitely!

Yes.

Love the idea. :3

Don't have a class color day or anything like that. If we do a snowball fight, break the teams up into something other than classes, since that wouldn't be fair anyway. (some classes are much bigger than others, etc.)

Yup!

- Anything you hate?
Noooope.

Nothing that I can really think of right now.

- ?????
PROFIT! (even though Sega beat me to it)

Rainbowrific Renia
Vice Captain

Magical Girl

20,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150

Evalinna

Sexy Exhibitionist

13,125 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:18 am
well by the time winter rolls around towns will be all prettified in snow colors. So its a good place for screenies just like in the summer.

i love the idea of an RP event, haven't done that in a LOOOONG time. And i wanna RP with you guys whee The idea of a shorter event sounds good to me, we have shopping to do, and yelling at the snow to do lol.

I think there should be a day like "cosplay your holiday." Originally this was "cosplay Santa" but not everyone celebrates Christmas. We would dress as the holiday we celebrate during the winter months, if you do celebrate during the winter. If not, then dress as the favorite holiday you and your family celebrate.

~Eva  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:24 am
We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?
Perhaps there could be a hint for what's planned next GSW? A dress up day or a contest.
I'd say for an RP formal/snowball fight, we may want to, just to identify our teams and the like. I don't own orange on a daily basis, but go out to purchase/find it for spirit week. The same could be done here.
Won't matter how long it is to me. Unless It runs on my day offs, I miss half of it anyway.
I have no idea how that works, but I imagine it's interesting.
Mix it up a little? Instead of individual classes, group some up; or have a die roll in determining which group you end up with. That'd be like a game of war. Just chucking more players then one team then another.
I'd attempt it.
- Anything you hate?
cliche. While the idea of snowmen taking over a forum is funny, I wouldn't participate.
What kind of contests are going on? '04 got a snail, but no items and we love our snail. Art is always a good reward.  

III_of_Wands

Nimble Wolf

28,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100

SilverDolphin

Magical Shoujo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 am
Hey Varlot!

I think a winter event would be really fun, and we should definitely do it if you are able to organize it.

I think we should just encourage everyone to dress up in winter attire/holiday clothes! There doesn't necessarily have to be day themes, but just some ideas, and everyone can set up things if they want to dress up the same for a day.
As I said before, yes, but less than SW, an overall theme would be best
Yes, for a smaller event, less time is fine. But I think it should be 4 days, like a long weekend. 8] Oh and it's the week before christmas not during christmas right? Mid-december would be best because most people are busy with family during holidays.
I honestly have no idea how that would work, mind explaining a bit more? Would it involve quoting people or something? D: This probably needs a lot of planning so that it doesn't fall apart with cheating/whatever. But yes it does sound very fun! Maybe we could do like, a tag sort of thing in towns?
I think some of the SW mods should lead a team for the snowball fight.
Or we could do oldies, middlebie and newbies for teams, that's kinda class orientated but I think it's more SW-ish.

Probably not.. which sucks because I want to participate in every event. I have never really RPed before so.. I don't really like the idea. If it's less RPish with like huge paragraphs you have to write with a character and more just pretending we're in a formal the whole time that would be nice.
- Anything you hate?
I guess not. ;D tomatoes? p.s. this question shouldn't even be here. xD
More info on the snowball fight.
- ANY OTHER IDEAS?
We should do something art-related! Once in a thread I participated in, we had an idea of someone describing something, and everyone had to draw it, and whoever got it the closest to what the person was thinking of, won!
It could be like, draw Varlot's snowman. or something. And you don't have to be a good artist. (:

EDIT: and for the secret santa, I don't think it should be anonymous, but yes gifting. that way we know that everyone actually got their thing and all that. :3 anoning is always an option for those who want to do it..
And if gifting doesn't work for someone, they could inform their gifter somehow like maybe we would send the message to that person for them> ;3

EDIT2: okay maybe the idea for using the mule to transport the gifts isn't so bad..

Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff