Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Wearing a Cross Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:48 am
Check out my Warriors Roleplay

Right, right, turn off the lights This issue has come up a bit in my circle, and I was wondering about your feedback. I have a cross that was given to me by my mother--A big, black, metal, intricate thing, very pretty--and I catch flack every time I wear it around members of my circle [I only wear it outside of rituals, for every-day use] Either they think it is disrespectful to my religion to wear it, or disrespectful to Christianity as a religion. I personally just think it's a very pretty trinket that was given to me by my mum. So, feedback? What do you all think about it? We're gonna lose our minds tonight

I do Art Commissions. PM me for details.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 am
I can see how people might feel that it is disrespectful, but I would probably wear it if I was in your situation. I've known quite a few people who appreciate the symbol of the cross in one form or another (be it a rosary, crucifix, rose cross, unilateral, or one of the many, many forms that the cross can take) and use it in their magical practice (not all are pagan).

I would probably explain to my Pagan friends that it was something special given to you by your mother, and that you like the way it looks and leave it at that.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 am
I think Kyndryana is right- a present given by someone you love is special in it's own way.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 am
I can understand why some may find it offensive, but I have to agree with the others. It was given to you by your mum, therefore making it special to you, even if it has nothing to do with religion. If I were you, I think I'd wear as well.

If they keep giving you grief even after you explain why you wear it, you could just keep it tucked under your shirt while with those people. Not really the best solution, but I used to do that when I used to wear a pentacle on a daily basis and worked at a daycare run by overzealous Christians in a small town.  

Moonwynne

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 pm
I would still wear it and if someone tried to give my flak about it I would explain that my Mother gave it to me and its pretty so I like it and wear it.
And if it still bothers them to bad, I'm the one wearing it not them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:39 pm
I agree with the others. You should wear it if it's special to you.

I did wear an Ankh because a close friend gave it to me. And I'm not even a Kemetic Pagan. And that's why I wore it, because it was special. Sadly, I lost it sad  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 am
Check out my Warriors Roleplay

Right, right, turn off the lights Wow, thanks you all. I'll tell my friends what you all said. You all have very legitimate points.
Also, Kaitiaki, congratulations on your baby!
We're gonna lose our minds tonight

I do Art Commissions. PM me for details.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:22 am
Christian crosses do have a particular style (and there are a HEAP of different ones), but the cross isn't solely a Christian symbol. If nothing else, it's a symbol of a method of execution - because of this and the tendency European culture to put crosses on gravestones and places of death in recent centuries it can be a symbol of death in its own right.

For example, where I live you often see crosses as well as bunches of flowers on the side of the road where people have died in crashes, despite the culture here being pretty secular. They're always white and a particular size. It's good in a way because it will show you how dangerous a road is by how many crosses you see, and keep a driver vigilant. At any rate, because of this I personally tend to associate many crosses with death and the crypt first and Christianity second.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
This reminds me of a stamp I came across on DeviantArt that said something like "Don't wear a symbol if you're apart of that religion" or something like that.

Anyways I don't see a problem with wearing a cross. Personally there are some crosses that are simply beautiful like the Celtic Cross, and some Crosses featured as an accessory in Gothic Lolita outfits. As long as you know the origin, and explain the significance of why you're wearing it, then it's fine. If they have a problem with it...then it's their problem and they need to figure out how to solve it on their own .__.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:59 pm
There is nothing wrong with wearing a cross there is alot of Christian wiccans in the world... there is even a book on it The Path of a Christian Witch by
Adelina St. Clair

I have nothing against Catholics/Christians for that matter just as long as they are not forcing their faith down my throat/trying to convert me i'm fine  

Rain1084

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:15 am
ArionFrost
There is nothing wrong with wearing a cross there is alot of Christian wiccans in the world... there is even a book on it The Path of a Christian Witch by
Adelina St. Clair

I have nothing against Catholics/Christians for that matter just as long as they are not forcing their faith down my throat/trying to convert me i'm fine

Christian witches might exist, but Christian Wiccans are rather impossible. While there's nothing wrong with Christians, it's rather aside from the matter at hand, vis., whether a non-Christian should or could wear one.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:31 am
Sanguina Cruenta
ArionFrost
Adelina St. Clair

Christian witches might exist, but Christian Wiccans are rather impossible. While there's nothing wrong with Christians, it's rather aside from the matter at hand, vis., whether a non-Christian should or could wear one.

Tru as well as saying if a non-witch should or could wear a pentagram  

Rain1084

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:25 am
Sanguina Cruenta

Sometimes Wiccans will go to a Christian Church too- it depends on how private they want to keep their religion.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:28 am
Esiris
Sanguina Cruenta

Sometimes Wiccans will go to a Christian Church too- it depends on how private they want to keep their religion.

I grant you that by Wiccan rules at least, one can be Wiccan and Christian, but one cannot be a Christian Wiccan.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ren LehCrow

Amorous Lovergirl

7,100 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:33 am

The cross was a symbol before it was adopted into Christianity, the Christians did not invent that symbol. I believe that prior to Christianity is was for protection of some sort but I'm not sure on that. Anyway, simply wearing a cross is neither disrespectful to either your own religion or Christianity.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games