Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
Best way to revive a guild Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sailorcancer2004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:33 pm
Hi all!

My guilds co captain and myself are trying to spark some life back in our guild (PlayStation Guild). Our activity has gone down the tubes and we've been trying to think of ways to be more active.

We recently tried a banner contest with prizes but had no entries. So we're at a loss at how to rejuvenate it.

Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:00 am
Hi. I know the feeling. With the beginning of the new school year, things may go up and down a bit.

Send out a guild announcement that you want more participation. And why not have a contest based on Playstation games.

Maybe an avatar contest for the best game representation.

Maybe a writing contest- come up with a new concept of a game, or an improvement of a game. And who knows, you might end up sending it to Sony for their developers. I have seen it happen with Technical school students. Now, wouldn't that be amazing!

Banner contests are good, but you have to be pretty good at making banners to that to work, and gamers aren't always that good.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:59 am
I like Rita's contest ideas, get people to create something based on Sony Playstation games.

I'd be in there pretty fast with some of my Bioshock drabbles!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:16 pm
From my experience, contests aren't going to bring anyone in. It might be better to just make an announcement, asking them to be more active in the guild. Maybe you can also ask that they make suggestions on how to make the guild better or what they'd like to see?  

Madame Royale

Invisible Regular

Sailorcancer2004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:05 pm
We did put out announcements with the contest. I was hoping that at least some people would post in it saying like "good idea" or something like that.

My thing with sending out announcements for participation was I didn't want to come off sounding needy.

One thing I was kind of thinking of was finding someone to be like a public relations person for the guild. Like someone who might know how to spread the word and knows how to get participation up.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:32 pm
Aye, the contest was a downer, I know that from my own attempts in the GGB that even things like lotto's only hold temporary interest.

I do like some of mamarita's suggestions, but concidering that the contest thread saw almost no activity, it was a bit depressing.

Just an FYI, I am Sailors Vice-C (also the Captian of the GGB). *waves*  

Si-Shen

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Chronos the Mighty

Dangerous Gaian

2,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:17 am
Yeah my guild is full of ghosts. I just put up the first posts for the year. Its sad when a guild dies entirely, The Boardroom of Evil used to be feared. cry  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:29 pm
Madame Royale
From my experience, contests aren't going to bring anyone in. It might be better to just make an announcement, asking them to be more active in the guild. Maybe you can also ask that they make suggestions on how to make the guild better or what they'd like to see?
The only danger with the "Please be active again! Please!" approach is that you might actually turn some members away from your guild. I've been in guilds where the captains/vice captains sent so many announcements begging for activity that one day I just snapped and quit their guilds.

With getting members to be active, Sailor, as well as with anything in life where you want people to do something, the approach has to be the same: Make them want to do it. If they don't want to do it, they simply will not. Think of it through the point of view of a member. "I joined because I wanted to or because I was invited to do so. But now that I'm here, why should I be active? What does this guild have to offer that separates it from the majority (if not all) of the guilds on Gaia?"

In your case, it would probably be a strong and active community of gamers. Take advantage of that. If you're going to make a contest, make it worth their while, and the recipe to a good contest is composed of many things, but always has two basics: It has to be easy to join and has to have cool prizes. The prize has to be proportional to (in fact, I would argue that it has to be greater than) the amount of effort that a participant would have to put forth to win it. That is the only way that you will get a level of participation that you're happy with. I have seen it over and over again: The more difficult it is to enter, it doesn't matter if the prize is a date with Daniel Radcliffe or Kim Kardashian: very few people will want to put their time or effort forth into that.

This is all just based on my experience as a crewmember, vice captain, and now captain of the NSTG. There is truth in what I'm telling you not because I'm pompous or cocky -- but because I've seen it in practice and I can tell you that, at least in my guild, it's definitely true. Best of luck. heart

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:33 pm
Now that we can have interactive chatrooms for guilds, it might be easier = especially for gamers and rp'ers to get activity.. I mean- actually being able to do something WITH people makes it far more interesting, don't you think?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:49 pm
mamarita
Now that we can have interactive chatrooms for guilds, it might be easier = especially for gamers and rp'ers to get activity.. I mean- actually being able to do something WITH people makes it far more interesting, don't you think?
For sure! I can't wait to use the feature. smile  

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 pm
Ebony the Peacian
mamarita
For sure! I can't wait to use the feature. smile
I am waiting to find out from Edy how much the new chatrooms are going to cost the guilds and if we can get a guilds a guild-type hall- maybe a gothic ballroom. Something more guild-like  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 pm
hmmm? Apparently I missed something while I was away from gaia for a few days O.O  

Si-Shen

Hallowed Knight

8,700 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Sailorcancer2004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:13 pm
Si-Shen
hmmm? Apparently I missed something while I was away from gaia for a few days O.O

Same here...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:06 am
They haven't pushed anything through yet but they're apparently creating 'guild chat rooms' instead of guild halls (At least that's how it seems).

Not sure how long it'll be 'til they're actually usable.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Doctor Aizen

Savage Hunter

7,500 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:10 pm
Truthfully, the guild layout and appearance within it's self may be the issue at hand.

Allot of people believe the more you've got within a guild the more active it'll be when honestly that's not at all the truth behind a successful guild.

Majority rules that simplicity is the safe way to play it when making a guild,

I would devise the forums like such if they have not already been done so.

Use the Lobby for all of your rules, announcements, OOC talk, and the such.

and then go into the Sub_Forums and simply list all of the previous to Current Systems within a Sub Forum.

Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3

And whatever else Playstation is aligned with, then start by naming a couple games in each Sub_Forum and let the discussions begin, Make sure you have a Suggestions thread in the lobby makes it easier to allow guild members to request game forums if they aren't already up for said generation system.

Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff