Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Just for Clarification Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:05 am
I've just got a couple questions about magic to clear up some confusion before I try something out.

When casting a spell do you have to:
-cast a circle?
-include some type of ritual?
-say some kind of rhyme or can it be something as simple as "this is for that"?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:09 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
I've just got a couple questions about magic to clear up some confusion before I try something out.

When casting a spell do you have to:
-cast a circle?
-include some type of ritual?
-say some kind of rhyme or can it be something as simple as "this is for that"?

NO to all of the above. You don't even have to say anything unless you want to.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:14 am
Ok thanks Sang. I was just wondering cuz I'm trying to lay out this one spell I want to try to help me concentrate better and retain information better in school since I'm struggling in two of my classes. My idea was while doing it I would paint my nails to correspond to the color associated to what I want(like if I want to change it up and do something to boost my confidence later on).  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:21 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Ok thanks Sang. I was just wondering cuz I'm trying to lay out this one spell I want to try to help me concentrate better and retain information better in school since I'm struggling in two of my classes. My idea was while doing it I would paint my nails to correspond to the color associated to what I want(like if I want to change it up and do something to boost my confidence later on).

Hey, that sounds like a great idea! blaugh  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:33 am
Oh thank you. I'll post how it goes when I do it if you want.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 am
Oh yeah. Another one that I forgot. Does the spell have to be performed at an alter?  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Oh yeah. Another one that I forgot. Does the spell have to be performed at an alter?

Spells don't have to be- there are lots of them that aren't. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 am
OK thanks Esiris. cat_biggrin  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:35 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
NO to all of the above. You don't even have to say anything unless you want to.
This. Can't remember the last time I did any of that.

Also, what Riri said.

I know this is a lil' late, but at least you have three people sayin' you're good 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:42 pm
lol Thanks Garrett. Also good to know when more people agree with it.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:05 pm
I'm kinda curious about the circle issue. Most of the books I've read (and had to take with a grain of salt,) and people I've met have told me that a circle is a must. Although, I vaguely remember one book saying that at you don't need one for meditation, just for major stuff.

I go by what feels right to me. If I want to cast one, I will. If I don't think I need it or if it doesn't feel right, I won't depending on what I'm going to do.

How did the circle become so important and a "must-have" for some people? Can someone please explain it to me or point me to the right direction where I can find more about this? ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx
I'm kinda curious about the circle issue. Most of the books I've read (and had to take with a grain of salt,) and people I've met have told me that a circle is a must. Although, I vaguely remember one book saying that at you don't need one for meditation, just for major stuff.

In some religions it's a must- but in those religions it's because circles do something very specific.

Like in Wicca- they are part of the "right practice" of the religion. Based on what some Wiccans have said publicly, my best guess is that the "time that is not a time and a place that is not a place" is a spiritual creation that ties into the energies that Wicca deals with- so take that with a grain of salt, this is just my best guess as a seeker.

I think Morg mentioned somewhere else that in Ceremonial Magic rituals the circle and a triangle (?) are there to bind the spirit that's being summoned- and they're made a certain way to do that too.

So if you aren't initiated into a traditional Wiccan coven, or a Ceremonial Magician summoning up Angels and Demons- then those reasons wouldn't apply. Some people might do it for other reasons- but their reasons may not be yours either- so it really depends on what the circle is supposed to do.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:52 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx
I'm kinda curious about the circle issue. Most of the books I've read (and had to take with a grain of salt,) and people I've met have told me that a circle is a must.
This right is here is why I asked about it. All the stuff on witchcraft that I had read and the spells I have found either said I had to have the stuff I asked about or never was really clear about if I needed it or not.

Still working on the spell though. School and club stuff's been getting in the way.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:28 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
xMoonlitShadowsx
I'm kinda curious about the circle issue. Most of the books I've read (and had to take with a grain of salt,) and people I've met have told me that a circle is a must.
This right is here is why I asked about it. All the stuff on witchcraft that I had read and the spells I have found either said I had to have the stuff I asked about or never was really clear about if I needed it or not.

Still working on the spell though. School and club stuff's been getting in the way.

A lot of books on witchcraft don't really know what they're talking about, unfortunately. They're based vaguely on ceremonial magic where the circle has its own importance - but they don't carry over any of the reasons why. They just absorbed the "circle = important" part and repeat it.

And if they stress repeating particular words or rhymes personally I would make the assumption that they don't know how spells work.

For me, if I'm interested in a book on witchcraft and it stresses magic circles, I won't read that book. While some witches do use them for spells as well as rituals, I do not; my witchcraft doesn't involve circles of that type. It does make it easier to spot if a "traditional witchcraft" book is nothing of the sort, though. wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:45 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx

I go by what feels right to me. If I want to cast one, I will. If I don't think I need it or if it doesn't feel right, I won't depending on what I'm going to do.

How did the circle become so important and a "must-have" for some people? Can someone please explain it to me or point me to the right direction where I can find more about this? ^^

Here's the thing for me: why cast circle? Are you protecting yourself, are your creating sacred space, are you using the activity as a form of meditation, are you doing it out of respect for a force or power involved, are you using the circle to contain something or concentrate something or is there some other reason for the circle I haven't thought of that you're using it for?

I've called circle for all of these reasons. I've called circle and not had a spell or ritual but just to sit in the circle, heck I've used casting a circle as a calming technique before. All of that could be fine or good, there just needs to be a reason. I've also done spells and rituals that don't need to cast a circle. I can think of at least one being I work with who would find a few varieties of circles offensive.

For me witchcraft and ritual isn't about the motions but the thought behind them. Why I do X. X might just be for mood or comfort, but I still need to know why it's valued and how it plays into my mental and magical landscape.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games