Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:46 pm
Uta
Kim says, 'sorry for the delay in setting this up, hon'!

User Image

"She stalks her prey through the grasses and pauses to test the air just like she was taught. She's a good listener. A good learner. One day, no doubt, she will achieve great things. Right now, however, she is a cub and she has her eyes set on her prey." Netravati wriggled in the dust as she pulled herself a little closer to her victim: a moth with a crippled wing. The poor thing had probably only just awoken for its nightly flight when it had been damaged and Netravati was here to give it a swift peace.

Perhaps it was diseased, she reasoned. "The plague has struck another and it flutters so sad and alone. A moth caught in its prime! Not fair but to be expected in these lands. The cub slinks forward to ease its suffering and she does so with a small flourish of her pretty paw."

And said paw came down, landing on the moth and squishing it against the stone it was flopping against.

"She bows her head." Netravati did so. "And wishes it a fond trip into the land of the dead. She is sure it will be fine."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:18 pm
User Image

((Is his adol image, but just think of him as a cub. . . I never got him certed on cub lines. :> ))

The pale cub had picked his way through the grasses of the pride lands, making sure none of his extensive family were following. It wasn't always easy finding ways to be alone, especially when he had thirteen siblings! Given, half of them were substantially older and were beginning to take on new roles in the pride, which meant they weren't always around. . . . But he still had five other brothers to contend to! His mother, as much as he loved her, was a bit protective over her young brood, and didn't often let them roam far.

But Nyu'li needed some time away. He was an introverted little cub, a bit sickly and weak from the very beginning. Where others fussed and grew frightened of the prospect of illness, the blue eyed cub couldn't quite see it as a curse. According to the lore of the pride, it was a great blessing, that the goddess was with him, had chosen him. . . . He was destined for great things, or so his young mind believed, and he would do all in his power to show his devotion to the pride and their patron goddess.

He had spoken to one of the priestesses a few weeks prior and she had told him that, for a young cub such as himself, if he wanted to devote himself to the goddess he'd have to take out a little time every day to pray. Honestly, Nyu'li didn't know how to pray, but after witnessing some ceremonies, he had discovered that it was sort of like talking. There were spirits whom might answer his call and bring his words to the goddess. He didn't know exactly how spirits did that or who choose what words were sent, but maybe just maybe, his prayers would be answered.

Looking for the perfect spot, the little cub had thought he'd been alone. Unfortunately, his ears picked up the sound of a voice, and a flash of pale color caught his eye. There was a little cub was talking about something going to the land of the dead? Whatever was she staring at. . . and most importantly . . . what had died?

Perhaps it was a bit morbid, but Nyu'li wondered if maybe he could say a prayer for the newly dead! That is, if the other little cub would allow it. That's what a lot of the priests and priestess did, didn't they? "Hey . . ." He called out quietly, his voice just a little raspy thanks to his cold and congestion. He wasn't terribly ill this morning, but he never seemed to go long without the sniffles or fever. "Who. . .who died?"

Uta

Shy Mage

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 pm
What was this? She was no longer alone?

Netravati's odd-coloured eyes flicked across to see the one who approached. A male, a little older than she with some rather odd markings on his pelt. She didn't know him but he sounded poorly. That was too bad, though she wasn't surprised. There weren't many here who had the fortune (or misfortune, depending on how you viewed it) of good health.

He was too big to squish with a paw, at least, so he was safe from that fate - unlike the moth.

"The dusty moth has finally met its end. The brave, brave soul." She declared in her high-pitched and strangely chirpy voice. "And made its last flight to the next world, eased in its suffering by a kind cub's paw. Now another stands to bear witness to its fate." She stood and bounced back to give the newcomer room to see the squished insect and bowed her head again. "It's death; overseen by two young members of the pride: Netravati - the seer of a thousand stories and a young blue-eyed male by the name of..." She looked up, blinking across at the young male as she waited for him to fill the gap.

She was rather fond of stories and, since life was a story (and a wonderfully complicated story, at that) she had decided to tell her own as she lived it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:03 pm
Nyu'li listened to the grey-ish coated cub, tilting his head ever so gently as she began to talk. This stranger had the most peculiar way of speaking. It was very strange, really, because she didn't talk like any other cub he'd ever met. . . or any adult, for that matter! She was talking as if she were telling a story, but that was kind of silly, wasn't it?

Oh well, to each their own.

As the cub retreated from her 'kill', he glanced down at the bug, all tattered and gooey and thoroughly squished. Nyu'li couldn't help but feel a little bad for the insect, seeing it in such a state. On the other paw, death was something no one in the pride could ever avoid, from the very biggest of lions, to the smallest of insects. Death had called this one home. . . . and that was something worth celebrating.

"Nyu'li." He realized that this other cub had sort of introduced herself. Netravati. Glancing up at the strange feline, he offered her a small, somewhat shy smile. Smiling wasn't something he did often, usually the epitome of all-things-serious, but he was polite enough to know introductions required them. His mother had taught him better than to be rude, after all.

"I suppose we should say a prayer for it?" Turning his blue eyes down towards the insect, he didn't wait for Netravati to agree. He was going to be a priest someday, and he knew that prayers were the right thing to do, even for the safety of the soul of one little bug. Bowing his head low to the ground, he began to recite the first things that came to his head. "Dear great goddess of plague, please watch over the soul of this little squished bug guy. Or girl. May you guide them safely toward a better life in the world beyond. Many praises!"

Looking back up at the new cub, he offered a sheepish little smile. He'd never actually prayed out loud in front of another before. "D'ya think that was all right?" He was completely oblivious to the fact that the little cub before him was actually a real descendant of the great goddess herself. "I'm still a little new at coming up with prayers."

Uta

Shy Mage

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm
She watched him silently with her odd eyes, all black and orange and not as expressive as perhaps they should be. And then, at his offer of a prayer, the corners of her mouth curled up and she bobbed her head in agreement, seating herself to listen; looping her tail tightly about herself as if preparing for a great show instead of a few solemn words. Then, as he bowed his head, she copied him, looking straight down at her forepaws settled neatly side by side.

Her eyes shut tight and, silently, she mouthed his words as if to absorb their meaning and further impress them into reality. "Many praises..." She whispered as an afterthought and then jolted back to reality at his question.

Had it been all right? She supposed it had.

"Nyu'li's prayer was pretty indeed and with those words, the moth found joy in its new life." She nodded satisfactorily and then, as an afterthought, leapt to her feet, scuttled forwards a few paces and grabbed a mouthful of weedy looking flowers. She was quick to return, spitting them out next to the body of the dead bug. "And with flowers and blessings, the moth was at peace."

And then, 'story' done, she turned to face the young male and gave him a wide smile. "Are you to be a priest, Nyu'li?" She blinked somewhat innocently. "You say nice prayers. Pretty ones." Her eyes flicked across his form and his start white and black markings, then to his eyes. Hm. Coloured. Like a spring sky.

"Your eyes are very blue." A random thing to say, perhaps. But they were very blue. "I think I like them. The sky is nice, yes? Very nice. There are stories about the sky, you know. I know lots."

Because she had made them up, most likely.

"Perhaps you looked too hard at the sky one day and pieces fell into your eyes. Did that happen? I think you should remember if it did..." Her eyes were wide with curiosity and hopefulness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:24 pm
Nyu'li listened to the other cub as she continued to narrate, even after his prayer. Part of him thought her just a touch peculiar, but on the other paw, maybe she didn't know any other way of speaking? It's possible that she just liked to tell stores . . . all the time. . . .and there was nothing wrong with that! Maybe there were adults that only spoke in stories, just like there were some priests that had to speak in prayer. . .

He was young yet, there was much in this world he didn't know, and more still he didn't exactly question. There was no need. Everything he had to learn and understand came from the pride, especially those close to the Great Goddess. Everything else was, at this point, mute. . . Ever since he'd been born, Nyu'li had felt his calling. Perhaps it made him a bit of a serious cub, and maybe it meant he was a little 'off' himself, but he was loyal . . .and even more importantly, he was faithful.

He'd serve the pride well.

As orange eyed cub laid flowers next to the squished and very dead moth, Nyu'li considered it. It certainly looked at peace, especially with the flowers. "It probably had a good life," he conceded, even though there was absolutely no proof for such a thing. "At least it won't suffer anymore now." And that was perhaps the best thing about death. Those that hurt didn't have to hurt anymore, and were called for a new purpose. It probably felt good to die, or so Nyu'li considered.

His (slightly morbid) and introspective thoughts turned back to Netravati, taing a moment to consider her words. She'd guessed his chosen profession all right. Puffing out his chest some, he dipped his head cordially even if he couldn't stop the smile from tickling his features. "That's right. I want to become a High Priest someday, devote my life to the Goddess." As she complimented him on his prayers, he felt his ears flush and his cheeks grow warm.

Ducking his head a bit bashfully, he gave a small shake of his head. "Th-thanks. . . I haven't said a prayer out loud to anyone before. And what of you? You tell very descriptive stories. Are you going to be a bard? I bet you'd be good at it." He added with a solemn nod. It was the truth, after all. If she could already narrate a story of smashing a bug, then she could probably tell any story and get the pride's attention.

As she asked about the sky falling in to his eyes, it only cemented the fact she was quite an imaginative little cub. Supremely so. "I haven't heard many sky stories. . . but then, I don't know anyone but my Mom who tells stories. And her stories don't really talk much about the sky." Maybe he could ask her about some of those sky stories, especially since she claimed to know a whole bunch.

"If the sky fell in to my eyes, then does it mean shadow and fire got in to yours?" Blue eyes (or so he had imagined) were fairly common; but he had never ever seen someone with black and orange eyes. His mother had bright orange eyes, but they weren't quite as strange as Netravati's. She was just all sorts of peculiar.

But who was he to judge?

Uta

Shy Mage

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:45 pm
She nodded sagely, seeming - for just a moment - to be wiser and older than she was. She seemed to be considering his point about the moth having had a good life and she wondered if that was true and how probable that would be. The moth had been pretty and it had been able to fly. Living a life where you were not bound to the earth seemed like a very good one indeed, no matter how short it was.

Her head turned to regard him, blinking in surprise at his obvious pride in his chosen profession. He knew what he wanted to be, then? A grand thing indeed! She smiled at him, the tips of her little fangs peeking out from under her lips. "Your prayers will be answered, I think." She replied, looking into his eyes. "And I do hope that I am the first to die so that you can speak such sweet words at my funeral." She did not know, yet, that she would be immune to the disease but neither did she seem worried about the concept of dying. It was no secret that her own father - a young lion himself, having bore children as an adolescent - would soon depart from the world. She wasn't yet sure how it made her feel and probably wouldn't until it had happened. She would miss him, of course, but she did stay strangely detached from others.

"A bard I will be, I think. It would be a great sin to keep my stories from the world." Her ears twitched. "And there are so many stories. Even many, many lifetimes would not be enough to tell them all. Even if I lived forever!"

She chuckled, rubbing a paw idly across her nose. "My eyes...see further than most. Shadow...hmm...yes. I like that! They see into the darkest shadows where no one else can. I think I'll need a better story, though. Ask me another time and I'll tell you."

Netravati stood then, moving to sit a little closer. "Who is your mother, High-Priest-To-Be? Does she know lots of stories? Ones I haven't heard yet? Is she a bard, too?" Many questions she had, apparently. "If so, I think I would quite like to meet her. If she does not know stories of the sky then that means she might know other stories - ones I do not yet know!" She seemed excited at the prospect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:30 pm
Kimaria
Sorry for the delay!

Nyu Li was glad he had met such an agreeable cub. Granted, he was likely biased towards favor for her because she was not one of his many siblings. To have thirteen siblings of various ages and colors was a little overwhelming at times, and there was talk (he had heard) of possible more. Granted, his entire upbringing was a little strange. . . . Not only had he so many siblings, but his adopted father was a hyena. Beo was a good sort, but . . .even Nyu Li, in his young age, understood that hyenas were not lions.

Oh well.

While Netravati could act and appear wise, much more wise, than her young moments of life, Nyu Li could possess such seriousness. He too seemed to keep his family a bit detached, and at the moment had very few friends to speak of. None, really, if one wished to count. But life was serious, and while many did their best to enjoy life, Nyu Li was no hedonist. His life was meant to be spent in prayers and rites and rituals; in worship to the great diseased goddess that kept watch over their pride, to hopefully give purpose to those who were called from the world.

Nyu Li wasn't afraid to die, as he knew he would, preferably by the great goddess' wishes herself. But he also knew that his life's purpose was to be lived in worship and reverence. He didn't know how he knew, especially being so young, but it wasn't something he would question. He would be a priest. . .he would die a priest. . .and maybe his prayers and blessings would serve others well.

Of course, Netravati was the first one he'd ever met who wished such a thing. While he might not have found the thought as disturbing as he likely should, the black and white coated male couldn't help but feel a little honored. "Well, don't die too soon. It is unlikely I'd get to head a prayer for you until I'm a bit older. But I will pray for you when you die." He added, his voice serious and determined. It never occurred to him that he very well might die first.

"I think you will make a fantastic bard, and such a fitting future. You tell lovely stories, from what few I have heard." He smiled a bit, giving a nod, as if that was all she needed to hear. But he spoke truth - he knew some stories, but with how peculiar this cub was, he couldn't help but believe her imagination would serve her well. Stories were good to listen to, and often brought joy and amusement from others. . . . They were like prayers, in a way, but for the living.

His newest 'friend', as he was certain she was the closest to one he'd yet made, was intriguing. She spoke in a funny manner, and yet seemed so confident in her words. They were dark, but sometimes funny, and often intelligent. Whismiscal in a manner, as he knew for a fact her eyes were not of shadow and fire, just as his own were not from the sky. But it was easy to go along with her fantasies. "My mother is the healer Yejide. She knows many stories, as she must entertain my family. And there's fourteen of us." He added with a small shrug. "But she speaks often of her travels as a rogue, before she joined the pride. . . I think she would like to know more stories of the sky. Stories are meant to be shared, or so I've heard." He added with another nod and a small smile.

Uta

Shy Mage

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:34 am
Death was a way of life to them. Their short lives a blessing that they would lie to the fullest. Netravati intended to learn and speak as many stories as she could so that her words might be remembered and passed down so that she would remain in the pride even after she was gone. A small ambition perhaps, but one that was achievable for the time limit she thought she had. "I'll stave off death until then, at least." She replied with a smile. "I would so like to see you achieve your goal and be up there to read the prayers."

She seemed extremely happy with the fact that he had agreed to it and swished her tail excitedly. "Then it is agreed! When we are older we will become what we set out to be and do what we desire until our lives our over."

Her odd eyes widened in surprise. "Fourteen? That is many, many ears to listen to many stories. I think I will go and meet her someday to listen and to share." She nodded. "A story is much more fun when there is another to listen and remember."

Her eyes blinked slowly and fixed on him for a moment. "The moth has been laid to rest, now and the two new friends decide to give the creature some time to himself." She bowed her head briefly and then stood, moving away from the 'grave' and out towards home. "They do not know what the future holds but they know they will be friends for a long time to come." She turned to regard him and gave him a brief smile. "I think I might spend some time collecting more stories this afternoon. You can join me, if you like, Nyu'li, future High Priest."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 pm
Nyu Li couldn't help but offer a small smile at his new found friend. She was a little different, perhaps a bit over dramatic too, but it was fun to hear her speak. She would certainly make a most excellent bard and would likely keep the pride enraptured with her stories. Her enthusiasm for life, or at least for encouraging his dreams, was also a pleasant reprieve.

IT wasn't that Nyu Li didn't get encouragement from his family. The problem was that his family consisted of a mix between lion and hyena; his father figure was not of lion blood, and his mother was strapped with thirteen other cubs to care for! They were quite the brood, and it was easy to get lost among their numbers. Especially when he wasn't quite as sick as his older brother, Ithanga, or quite as loud as some of his other brothers.

Really, Nyu Li kept out of the way. He was an introverted little cub, perhaps a bit too serious for his age, but he knew his place. Even when he was sick and unwell, he tried his best to not be a burden. This was the Goddesses will, after all . . . . This was his fate. But it was nice to know that someone recognized his desire to become a priest, and wished for him to speak at their funeral. Or at least hear him say a few prayers.

Puffing out his chest some, the little cub gave a little smile. "Well then. We will both fight off death, if the Goddess wishes it, and achieve our goals. You, the great bard with her epic tales of glory . . . and I, with my prayers to ease the souls of the pride." Yes, the blue eyed cub decided, it was a very good destiny indeed. Who knew what tomorrow would bring, but they each had something to guide them. Dreams were good that way.

"You would, of course, be welcome to visit. I do believe my siblings would enjoy your stories, and would be glad to meet another not of their kin." It was the truth. Though the Kitwana'antara was now of a healthy membership level, even Nyu Li felt a bit overwhelmed by how many siblings he had. Six brothers, and seven older siblings. . . Really, the den could become very crowded very easily. It was refreshing to meet others, like Netravati, who came from a different background and had different stories to tell. Sure, Nyu Li loved his family, but sometimes it was nice to be around someone else for a change.

It was then that the young cub stalked away from her prey, giving its soul time to rest. Nyu Li followed behind, quiet as ever, though his ears pricked at her request. She wished to invite him along while she collected more stories? Well. . . . it wasn't like he needed to be anywhere. He was too young to really follow the path of a Priest, and Netravati was quite interesting. Who knew, perhaps he would grow inspired and find himself with new prayers to consider? This was as much the Goddesses will as anything. . .

Giving her a formal bow, the young cub nodded. "I would be most honored, future Bard. All you need do is lead the way, and I will happily follow."

Uta

Shy Mage

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm
Netravati certainly did not have as many siblings as her new friend there. She was one of four, born to a father who was in the last stages of the illness. He would die soon, of that she was certain. It did not sadden her, though. Not really. She would not cry for his passing and neither would she spend days in grief. But she would honour him by telling his story to those who would listen. She would remember and she would find comfort in the fact that he was no longer suffering. He had used his life well and blessed the lands with children.

One day, she would do the same.

"It is a pact then." She agreed with a smile. "Made in the hopes that the Goddess wills it so." And she could think of no reason why the Goddess wouldn't want them to achieve their dreams before they died. He, with his desire to pray and she with her desire to spread stories. To her they seemed the most exciting and admiral jobs in all the world. Her smile deepened and she dipped her head in response and turned to move off across the lands.

Netravati did not fear death. She only hoped that she'd have shared all her stories before her time came to an end.

/fin.

[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff