Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:35 pm
say if I found a source for mosin receivers

and a source for czech UK59 heavy machinegun barrels that have been rethreaded for nagants....

would this be a worthwhile endeavor?

the over all price for the receiver and the heavy machinegun barrel together would be around 100 dollars.

then all i'd have to do is find a bolt group, trigger,magazine portion, and a stock.

or just take all of those off an already existing mosin.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:38 pm
the heavy machinegun barrel in comparison to mosin nagant barrel

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:00 am
Snipermosintime!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:39 am
found em here

http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:06 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
the heavy machinegun barrel in comparison to mosin nagant barrel

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
There's no scale for comparison but the HMG barrel looks like the same thickness of the barrel on my AR-7. xd It's a .22 barrel but the outer barrel diameter is about 3/4 of an inch. In the zombie apocalypse if I run out of ammo I can unscrew the barrel and crack skulls all day long then screw it back on and keep using it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:54 pm
Why not just find a dirt cheap complete mosin and use that?  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:01 pm
Capt Buckner CTO
Why not just find a dirt cheap complete mosin and use that?
you mean for the extra parts?

because theres no way in hell im gonna attempt to debarrel one. such a feat requires special tools to remove

at least putting a barrel in would be do-able

whats the difference you ask? 70+ years.... try taking apart something thats been in there for that long. i've heard enough stories of people trying to switch calibers or replace barrels where it gave them way more trouble than it was worth. and this was all because there wasnt a readily available source of stripped recievers.... now that there are, a lot of projects can be done a lot easier  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 pm
User Image

another one someone else is doing  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:50 pm
I might have ******** up the barrel on my first mosin, It leaves a big scratch in extraction and it's very hard to extract casings. It has a big burr in the chamber, I might use that gun for a heavy barrel project.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 pm
SpeedmanRC
I might have ******** up the barrel on my first mosin, It leaves a big scratch in extraction and it's very hard to extract casings. It has a big burr in the chamber, I might use that gun for a heavy barrel project.
you gonna try a new bare receiver or you gonna go for the barrel removal adventure?

the good part about this project is that it doesnt cost much for the receivers and barrels.

and the end product is a thick barreled free floated rifle perfect for snipage  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:27 pm
SpeedmanRC
Couldn't you just use a Gunsmith In A Box™ to grind the burr out?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 pm
@ recon: I have a full auto shop at my work, that barrel will come off if I want

@ Fresnel: maybe.  

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

Zion International

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:59 pm
This is actually the exact opposite of what I want out of a Mosin platform. I want a Mosin with a 16.5 inch barrel, polymer stock in the same style as the original tailored to the shorter barrel, and the original iron sight layout.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:14 pm
Kill Em All Incorporated
This is actually the exact opposite of what I want out of a Mosin platform. I want a Mosin with a 16.5 inch barrel, polymer stock in the same style as the original tailored to the shorter barrel, and the original iron sight layout.
well that's all personal preference and the purpose your gearing your rifle toward.

this is a project meant for people with a preference for maximum accuracy, and from a bolt action thats kind of important. not only is it a perfect platform for accurizing, but due to it's limitations that's all it really has going for it.

you can still have an HBAR cut down by a gunsmith to the length you desire either way.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Zion International

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Kill Em All Incorporated
well that's all personal preference and the purpose your gearing your rifle toward.

this is a project meant for people with a preference for maximum accuracy, and from a bolt action thats kind of important. not only is it a perfect platform for accurizing, but due to it's limitations that's all it really has going for it.

you can still have an HBAR cut down by a gunsmith to the length you desire either way.
You did say those barrels are from heavy machine guns? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't mg barrels have a difference in rifle twist compared to bolt rifles?  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff