Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Personal Mythos Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ouroboros_Soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:56 pm

It has been a while since I have explored Gaia online, in part because I have been in between several jobs and school, so I decided to start with a fresh new post.
For the past year and a half, I have been secretly working on something that at first came to me in dreams, but is now a workable worldview. I have my own set of gods and goddesses, with correspodences, archetypes, and personalities of their own. Their names were derived in trance using glossolalia, and their physical forms are so vauge they are either multiple or non-existant. It is this mystery that has enlivened my magickal practice, and has inducted me into Chaos Magick to which I attribute a great deal of my new insight smile

For any interested in my pantheon, I am continuously updating a personal webpage of mine that includes my mythos and a few pages worth of correspondences and sample rituals. Here is the link: http://underath.tripod.com/mythos.html
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:05 pm

Intersting; would you define "glossolalia" and "Chaos magic", so that we may have a better grasp of the matter on a whole, please?

Jameta
Captain

Kamikaze Noodle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:23 pm

-agrees with jameta-

sounds interesting.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 pm

Well, Chaos Magick and glossolalia are by no means synonymous. But as I explain, you'll find out that's exactly the point mrgreen

Chaos Magick is a form of ceremonial magick that seeks to break down ritual and spiritual practice into it's most quintessential elements. Each chaos mage is different, and therefore has different methods to acheive such goals. Such methods may seem controversial to many, because many chaos mages do things in direct contradiction of other magickal traditions in order to explore various aspects of knowledge.

Glossolalia is a big inflated term used to describe "gibberish"- such gibberish used in "speaking tongues" by many spiritual groups in order to acheive some form or higher knowledge or wisdom. Some consider it to even be its own language(s).

I merely used the terms to demonstrate that in a search for my own source of spirituality, I have ventured into a realm of knowledge most people have not tapped into. Ironically, discovering new mythology has been going on since the dawn of time, but I seem to be one of the few that is content with going in accordance with past cultural traditions (however much I may draw from them for inspiration).

Ouroboros_Soul

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:11 am

It's an interesting concept, I'll give it that, and certainly calls into question the NeoPagan concept of devinity (where it's dealt almost exclusively with pre-established pantheons.) but I think it's a bit farther than I myself would be willing to push the boundaries at this time, and it's certainly not an exercise I'd reccomend for anyone but an adept practitioner.

To me, there seems to be a large oppertunity for error; to confuse fantasy and day dreaming with truely granted knowledge. Not to say that this has been done, but in all reality, how would a practitioner distinguish between the two? As a fantasy writer, I've been doing much the same thing, and as a Pagan I can see how this would bring one closer to their own spirituality and how it works, but I also see the potential for abuse, for "lazy" individuals (for lack of a better term) simply creating their own pantheons and mythologies around them rather than taking the time to learn even the fundamental basics in Paganism, and then running around being absolutely foolish.

You've clearly got your ground work covered and then some, but the whole idea still leaves me, admittedly, uneasy.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:04 am

I do believe I witnessed the "lazy" yesterday or so in the GD: someone randomly requested a name for the religion they were 'making-up', of which they themselves were not going to actually follow.

Or at least that's how I enterpretted the mild n00b-speak. xp

Jameta
Captain

Ouroboros_Soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:08 pm

For such situations, I believe the seperating factor between a self-deluded novice and a genuine seeker of a new myth lies in sheer definition- a novice is someone who (as so estutely put) is too lazy to work with traditional mythologies, wheras a genuine seeker of a new myth is a person who like myself is searching for a connection more personal than the often fragmented incomplete and inconsistent mythological worldviews and godforms that are inherent in many traditional pantheons; Albeit to say, they hold much knowledge, but as a point of reference and wisdom - not as a means to an end.

In otherwords, I view the gods of ancient peoples as elder gods that I can hope to seek advice from, but not as gods for my time period. In the modern era, many modern peoples have abandoned the old gods, or simply moved on to different forms of divinity. But instead of seeking the old gods as a means to an end or "substitute", I seek what my soul can explore and make true; I create my own mythology.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:18 pm

I can definitely see where you are coming from. Right now, I feel like I'm having something along the same lines happening with Raven. I continually see him anthromorphized (very sexy, I might add razz ), and I feel like our relationship has become deeper and more personal for me due to this. So, while I am using an older deity, he is taking on a new face to help me connect to him. 3nodding Not exactly like your method, but around the idea, me thinks.

Jameta
Captain

Ouroboros_Soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:14 pm

It's in the same channel of thinking to say the least. And as much as my gods may seem to be original, they are in many ways based on other god's forms. To me, mythologies are just different ways of seeing the same world; I decided to try a different one. But by all means, use traditional gods in a non-traditional way. If done with sincerity and trust, I think the gods might want a "makeover".
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:05 pm

Quite interesting. I like the way you refer to the mythos as your mythos, and the deities as your. Why do you do this? Is it the say that you have created this mythos, or discovered it?

All in all though, I find it very interesting. Chaos magic has held a cague interest for me for a while, and I'm starting to draw from it in my own deities. I've contacted a Goddess of creativity. She's older, in the crone form (but still very fit) and has an affinity for butterflies, but the elegant ones. I have yet to learn Her name.

That, and the name Goreh randomly popped up in my mind, with an association with dreams.

Edit - I now love your site. Mainly for the fact that one of the adds in it (The Magical Blend) is for a store in my city (Montreal) and I've actually been down there a good number of times (once even for a public Ostara rit. Mmm, good mead.)

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Ouroboros_Soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:27 pm

It may very well be an improper usage to describe the mythos that I am working with as "mine", but I can't as much say that I "discovered" it with what I believe in my heart of hearts- that everything that exists has always and will always exist. There are infinite perplexities in the divine, and this is just my expression of it. I am, in my own way, opening up people to the possibility that they can define divinity any way they please, as long as they do so with the same convinction they would with any other activity.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:53 pm

Oh, you're hardly the one opening it up for people, that idea has been around for a while...

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Ouroboros_Soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:47 pm

That's the funny part; It's been around a very long time, but very few people are willing to attempt it
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Because to admit that means you admit the divinity of SpongeBob Squarepants.

I like to delude myself with the idea that the infinite doesn't include that show.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:46 pm

Nihilistic Seraph
Because to admit that means you admit the divinity of SpongeBob Squarepants.

I like to delude myself with the idea that the infinite doesn't include that show.
Well, if we look into my perspective of "evil", it is that which purposefully goes against natural order and natural chaos, many times into the extremes.

Nickolodeon may have reached that point with that show.

whee
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces