Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
'Yo' 'Son' and other Slang terms (Curses included) Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Melchom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:35 pm
For the past 9 years of my life I attended a Private school. The school had a great English program which I excelled in. But it was very expensive and I had to leave. I now attend a public school and I cann't believe the horrible ways they've decided to use to desicrate the english language. Now, I'm not saying that it's public schools but I am saying that there's a difference. I hear phrases like, 'Yo son thass ******** up'. I have heard 'Yo' before in my old school but they throw it around in this one constantly. Curses are also used obsessively.

What do you think's the reason for this?
What do you thing about this in general?
What's the reason for this? (Rap, Education, etc. ...)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:44 pm
Well, so far I've got nothing.  

Melchom

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 am
I blame public schools for focusing on quantity instead of quality. They seem to believe that cramming shitloads of information and giving shitloads of homework equals a quality education. But if you look at the information and homework, you see most of it's really just mediocre quality busywork. American schools should focus on teaching students things worthy of learning instead of lengthening the school day, school year, giving hours of homework, etc.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:41 am
I blame the teachers for not telling the kids to stop talking like that.

Shrocomemos

Melchom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:27 pm
Shinobi 1977
I blame public schools for focusing on quantity instead of quality. They seem to believe that cramming shitloads of information and giving shitloads of homework equals a quality education. But if you look at the information and homework, you see most of it's really just mediocre quality busywork. American schools should focus on teaching students things worthy of learning instead of lengthening the school day, school year, giving hours of homework, etc.
I agree completely. When I look at how my teachers are in comparrison to my old school it's mind boggoling(SP). It's incredibly to think that there could be such difference.

@Shrocomemos: I think some teachers try but hardly ever. The students are really to blame. Also the music that they listen to, rap, has horrible grammar and words/phrases like the example.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:45 pm
Melchom
Shinobi 1977
I agree completely. When I look at how my teachers are in comparrison to my old school it's mind boggoling(SP). It's incredibly to think that there could be such difference.

@Shrocomemos: I think some teachers try but hardly ever. The students are really to blame. Also the music that they listen to, rap, has horrible grammar and words/phrases like the example.
Good point. But not all the kids listen to rap and still talk like that.

@Shinobi: Wait, what does the schoolwork have to do with language?

Shrocomemos

[Amonie]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:17 pm
His point with the school work is that they're going for quantity over quality. In other words it's not effectively instructing students on how NOT to ******** up a language.

Apparently it's 'cool' to speak like that in some places. I've been in areas where people have actually made me the target of their idiocy (they were making fun of me) just because I can speak proper english. Though that's not how they saw it.

You do have to be fair when it comes to some things. For example, Ebonics. You can't tell somebody who speaks Ebonics that they suck at english. Because it's Ebonics, it's different. Though some people of non Ebonics-based heritage find it cool, so they adjust their own lives to speak that way. Which confuses me.

To each their own I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:25 pm
That's the point. The focus is that schools do not spend quality time to bring forth good grammar, and it seems as if kids are willing to say "Yo" to gain attention. Stupidity to the max, I would say. rolleyes  

Zealot of Insanity

[Amonie]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:38 pm
I'm confused, are you saying a person who speaks Ebonics is using incorrect grammar?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:54 pm
Hmm....I would have to saay there are plenty of things. Education is one of them, but then again, I go to a public school. Obviously, music and rap has something to do with it. I mean, they dress like the rappers they like, and do talk like them. The cursing probobly goes along with morality droping like a rock, and they probobly pick it up from their parents. It seems that public school kids are more ignorant, too. They don't read, and whenever you say something intelligent, your mocked for it. I'm a writer and artist, adn I'm constantly made fun of, and people say things like "Who draws?" to me, and treat me like crap. But now I'm getting off topic. And about Ebonics, it isn't always that. There's also things like dude, and the such. I use a bit of slang in my language, but usualy it's what I like to call "Otaku slang", meaning that not only do I use slang commonyl used by anime fans, but I'll also say one or two Japanese words, like "Baka" and such.  

lola_siannodel

[Amonie]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:58 pm
lola_siannodel
Obviously, music and rap has something to do with it.

Laugh...

Music AND Rap eh? ;P

Rap is a genre of music, no need to bash it because of this new age 'Gangsta Rap' or whatever they call it.

The old rap (which by the way I listen to some of) is, to a certain extent, amazing. Rap artists of the old days had amazing command of language, to be able to stand some place and whip together a poem of the top of your head is something that deserves recognition.

Not all rap is bad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:54 pm
[Amonie]
lola_siannodel
Obviously, music and rap has something to do with it.

Laugh...

Music AND Rap eh? ;P

Rap is a genre of music, no need to bash it because of this new age 'Gangsta Rap' or whatever they call it.

The old rap (which by the way I listen to some of) is, to a certain extent, amazing. Rap artists of the old days had amazing command of language, to be able to stand some place and whip together a poem of the top of your head is something that deserves recognition.

Not all rap is bad.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying that's where kids get the majority of their slang words. And it's all genres of music, rap you just hear more of.  

lola_siannodel

[Amonie]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:59 pm
I was just teasing how you said music and rap. As if it weren't actually music.

^_^

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:15 am
[Amonie]
His point with the school work is that they're going for quantity over quality. In other words it's not effectively instructing students on how NOT to ******** up a language.

Apparently it's 'cool' to speak like that in some places. I've been in areas where people have actually made me the target of their idiocy (they were making fun of me) just because I can speak proper english. Though that's not how they saw it.

You do have to be fair when it comes to some things. For example, Ebonics. You can't tell somebody who speaks Ebonics that they suck at english. Because it's Ebonics, it's different. Though some people of non Ebonics-based heritage find it cool, so they adjust their own lives to speak that way. Which confuses me.

To each their own I suppose.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's Ebonics?

I also use slang a lot, but just around my friends because it's fun to say. Like when literate people start using n00b talk purely for the fun of it. I'll also use 'baka' a lot because then I can insult someone and they won't know it. whee Except, my friend started shouting it at people once and pronouncing it totally wrong. I was so embarrassed. >.< Especially after I learned that it can mean more than just 'idiot'.

Shrocomemos

Bookworm_42901

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:48 pm
I have no idea why people feel the need to speak in a "different" language. When they have comedians on network TV talking in a "ghetto" accent, I can't understand a word they say. It's like I was back flipped into the 1880's. To much of my chagrin, this language is becoming popular. the schools have been plaguing english classes with assignments that they're not taking the time to teach teenagers grammar and new words.
It's an annoyance that webster has to stop encouraging, afterall bling made it into the dictionary. rolleyes  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff