Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Daffodil Movement

Back to Guilds

Guild for the Daffodil Movement, a cancer awareness movement here on Gaia. 

Tags: cancer, awareness, daffodils, daffodil, movement 

Reply Archives [threads from previous years of the event]
The Blue Ribbon Committee ~ Team Colon Cancer Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:00 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image

Welcome to the Blue Ribbon Committee of the Daffodil Movement (where YOU can See the Reality about the Colon Cancer).  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:15 pm
User Image

Welcome to the Blue Ribbon Committee for the year 2012. About half-way through last year's Daffodil Movement, I found out that my great grandfather had gotten a type of colon cancer late in his life. It made me feel a stronger connection to this cause, being that I didn't think I knew anyone with cancer. My time may be limited, but I will do my best to get this running, and to raise awareness of colon cancer and the importance of regular doctor visits.

Our Team is as follows...

Rannchan - Captain
User Image
Members -

KittySongLUVsJONASBoys
Ayame-Yuura
Mary Williame Taranee
Mysterious Box of Mystery
Boris_Badenov
onisuu
Mr Kittey
iiAquaticAngel
Moxcella
-fionalisha-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join our team and you'll appear in the team list. I would also like to thank Mary Williame Taranee for the graphics at the top of some of the posts.

Since I am now employed, I can afford to make a monetary contribution as well. At the end of the month, I will make a contribution to a Colon Cancer charity in the name of our team.  

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:37 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Information About Colon Cancer User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User ImageJust what is Colorectal cancer?

Colorectal cancer, commonly known as bowel cancer, is a cancer from uncontrolled cell growth in the colon, rectum, or appendix. Symptoms typically include rectal bleeding and anemia which are sometimes associated with weight loss and changes in bowel habits.

Most colorectal cancer occurs due to lifestyle and increasing age with only a minority of cases associated with underlying genetic disorders. It typically starts in the lining of the bowel and if left untreated, can grow into the muscle layers underneath, and then through the bowel wall. Screening is effective at decreasing the chance of dying from colorectal cancer and is recommended starting at the age of 50 and continuing until a person is 75 years old. Localized bowel cancer is usually diagnosed through sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.

Cancers that are confined within the wall of the colon are often curable with surgery while cancer that has spread widely around the body is usually not curable and management then focuses on extending the person's life via chemotherapy and improving quality of life. Colorectal cancer is the fourth most commonly diagnosed cancer in the world, but it is more common in developed countries. Around 60% of cases were diagnosed in the developed world. It is estimated that worldwide, in 2008, 1.23 million new cases of colorectal cancer were clinically diagnosed, and that it killed 608,000 people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knowing this, it's imparitive to raise awareness for this particular cancer. Only a small percentage of those who have colorectal cancer get it from genetics. It can hit anyone. Early detection helps immensely with all types of cancer and this is no exception.

While I was preparing my thoughts on how I would design this thread and run this team for April, a tweet popped up in my Twitter-stream and piqued my interest. This Tweet was written by a woman with Breast cancer who just met a woman with Colorectal cancer. The woman with Colorectal cancer, as mentioned, does indeed own the URL ihavecancerinmybutt.com and that's just amazing. It's funny and memorable just as a URL but if you go to her website, it's a blog about her journey through Colorectal cancer. It's an amazing read, very real and heart-wrenching. If you want to know what it's like... just read her blog. I recommend starting with the beginning, as with most things. It was a total coincidence I even found this blog when I did, but I'm glad I did. Reading about cancer online can be very dry. Reading a blog written by a real person about something that is really happening to them is so much more captivating.

If you do still want the dry medical information about Colorectal Cancer, any of the following websites should have everything you need.

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
MedPedia  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:48 pm
User Image

User Image

Below are the Global Rules that preside over all TDM activity.

►Follow Gaia's ToS
►Do not quote any large blocks of text, such as any of the posts on the front page of the main thread or a team's thread.
►Please read the FAQs before asking a question. That way we can be sure that we have plenty of time to answer any unusual or specific questions, instead of answering the same common ones over and over.
►Contacting Blaize/crew: We are likely to be very busy around this time. Not only do we have to organize many things here at once, virtually all of TDM's staff is in college or high school. For us, April not only means TDM, it means term papers and exams. Questions and Yellow Wall entries will have priority over any art or banners you send, or affiliate/Turn TDM requests. Please be patient with us.
►Be supportive of one another! Try to get along.
►And most importantly, strive for positivity. I encourage you to share your stories and feelings concerning cancer, cancer awareness, and the like, but this will not be a pity-party. Many people may be going through cancer themselves or seeing someone they love dealing with it. We’re here to hope for the best. heart

I'm a pretty easy person to get along with, so as long as people follow the rules, we should get along just fine. 3nodding  

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 am
User ImageUser Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ~Contests and Free Things~User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I loved the contests and free stuff I did last year, so some will be the same, but I'm always open to new ideas! Be sure to check out everything in this post, even if you're from another team!

ART~ Free and otherwise~

I will be drawing art for anyone who wishes to show some personalized team spirit. It will be a headshot with a Daffodil and a Ribbon. Medium will most likely be pencil and scanned in, but digital is a possibility, based on what kind of time I have. Art for Team Colon will be free, so a Blue ribbon is free. If you would like art for another team with another ribbon, it will cost only 1k! Trades to be sent to Rannchan to help raise money for prizes in contests.

If you want a headshot, please fill out the simple form below and post it here in the thread.

[quote="Rannchan"][/quote]
[color=blue][size=12]Headshot Please?[/size][/color]
Username -
Ribbon Colour -
Trade Sent? -
How are you doing today? -

Currently Completed by Rannchan -

Are you artistically inclined? Would you like to help our team and become an artist for the cause? Just contact me (Rannchan) and I'll let you know what I need. =) You can be a freebie artist, or you can help raise money for funds. You can keep some of the gold, but I ask that a portion of the proceeds goes towards prizes for other contests.

Dressed For Success~

Not everyone has a wardrobe for every occasion. This is where you can get a few free items to change into a blue outfit for the month if you wish. They will be inexpensive as I wish to spend some gold on nicer prizes for actual contests. Just fill out the form below to receive some blue items to wear. Just erase the parenthesis when you post the form.

[color=blue][size=12]Dress Me Up![/size][/color]
Username -
What do you need? - (Do you need a whole outfit? Just some pants or a shirt? Some accessories?)
How do you dress? - (Pants? Skirts? Modest? Showing some skin?)
Do you need a Daffodil Bouquet? -

People Who Have been Dressed -

Birthday Tektek

My birthday is this month on the 11th and it made me think about how anyone fighting cancer is fighting to reach their birthday. Birthday's are very important to those fighting cancer, because it can act as a milestone and keep moral up to keep fighting. So we're gonna try to have a Birthday Tektek contest!

Just enter a tektek with the theme of celebrating a birthday. Keeping it Related to the blue of colon cancer is preferred but not required.

Username -
Entry -
When's your birthday?

Entries

None-

Prizes
1st Place - TBA
Participation - TBA

Recruitment Contest!

This contest is going to run until Monday, April 23rd. This contest is open to All Teams, even if you were recruited here as part of the contest. There will be prizes for the top few recruiters as well as designated prizes for amounts of points accumulated.

While recruiting members, be sure to remember what we're doing this for. This is for a charitable cause to raise awareness for all types of cancer. You will get points for the recruitment NO MATTER WHAT TEAM THEY JOIN. Since I am captain of Team Blue, you will get bonuses for getting members to join Team Blue, but please DO NOT pressure anyone to join our team for those bonuses.

Point System

Recruit a Team Blue Member - 1 point
Recruit an ACTIVE Team Blue Member - 2 points
Recruit Any Other Team Member - 1 point

To get credit for the recruitment, I would like you to have your recruit post the following in the Team they apply to join. Just have them fill in your name where it says name and I'll be sure you get credit. I've now added codes for other Teams. I hope to see everyone participate! =D

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Blue - Name
[img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-blu.gif[/img] Sent by Team Blue - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Teal and White - Name
[img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-m-cer.gif[/img] Sent by Team Teal and White - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Orange - Name
[img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-ora.gif[/img] Sent by Team Orange - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Lime Green - Name
[IMG]http://tinyurl.com/878z74u[/IMG] Sent by Team Lime Green - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Clear - Name
[img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-whi.gif[/img] Sent by Team Clear - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Pink - Name
[img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-pin.gif[/img] Sent by Team Pink - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Grey - Name
[img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-gra.gif[/img] Sent by Team Grey - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Orchid - Name
[img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-orc.gif[/img] Sent by Team Orchid - [u]Name[/u]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Sent by Team Black - Name
[img]http://tinyurl.com/c2gg8f5[/img] Sent by Team Black - [u]Name[/u]

Current Points

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Ayame-Yuura - 7

Prizes

For every recruitment point you get 100GG. On top of that, you get small random prizes every 5 points. You will also get a larger prize every 50 recruitment points.

Top Recruitment Prize - TBA
Other Prizes - TBA

More contests to come!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:55 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Team Efforts User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User ImageHere I will highlight some ideas and efforts put forth by our members to spread the word about Colon Cancer.

Turn TDM
When I first checked out The Daffodil Movement, I was looking for things to do to support the movement and let other people know what was going on. One of the few things I found that I could do immediately, was the Turn TDM and so I did it. I Googled pictures of Daffodils and placed them throughout my quest thread along with the blue ribbon for the team I wished to join. This thread is actually modeled after my quest thread currently.

When I sent the PM to Blaizekit to be added to the Turn TDM post, I was surprised to hear that no one had done this the previous year. No one else has done it either, but I think that it's a great idea.

It can really give attention to our team if more threads decorated themselves in this manner. you may use any of the Blue ribbons in the blue ribbon post, but I also say that you can all use the daffodil pictures that I re-sized and made flips of for your own thread as well. Check them all out in my quest thread or in this thread if you'd like, I can send you the links to all of them myself. Just ask, and I'll add them here or just send them to you.

All the above for this section was what I wrote last year. As far as I know, no one else joined this particular initiative. This can bring attention to your thread through The Daffodil Movement, as well as bringing attention to The Daffodil Movement. My thread stayed decorated all year long and I like the way it looks. Won't you join me this year?

If you have any other ideas or efforts to spread the word, just let me know and I will highlight it here. Anything in this thread may be discussed and I will change anything in this post to reflect the thoughts and feelings of Team Blue.

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:58 pm
User Image

Take any of the following Ribbons! They are good for many things!
I am leaving the url portion of the code blank for now because I'm not sure the best place to link to. Might I suggest one of the following 3 links to fill in the spot?

The Daffodil Movement Main Thread 2012 - http://tinyurl.com/8yjwbwj
The Daffodil Movement Guild - http://tinyurl.com/4pkcxn8
Team Blue Thread - http://tinyurl.com/83rbc2r

User Image
[url=][img]http://tinyurl.com/ancch2[/img][/url]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[url=][img]http://xrl.us/bekmg9/sm-blu.gif[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=][img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/jewelflo/daffodilvasedarkblueribbon.png[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=][img]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/krizalprowess/ribbon-colon.png[/img][/url]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[url=][img]http://i43.tinypic.com/2qbt4rm.gif[/img][/url]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:01 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ~ Calender ~ User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A Calender will hopefully make us more aware of how little time we have together during this Movement. One month is shorter than we think, and knowing it's almost gone should help us use the time we do have better. I would like some kind of text calendar because it would be a lot easier to edit, to add or move items. However, I think a visual calender would be more useful. Anyone have any ideas for my Calender?

Coming Soon

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:04 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Thank Yous User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

These are all great people who have donated items, gold, time or services to Team Blue's Effort.

Blazekit - For running EVERYTHING and letting me captain team blue once more.
Mary Williame Taranee - For making some graphics for our thread.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:05 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ~OPEN~ User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:39 pm
I'm posting this from the middle of nowhere Texas, in a car headed home. I managed to move the thread to get it started, but I will have to finish updating the contests and links sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I would like to welcome anyone who wants to join our team, and I look forward to spending the rest of the month with y'all.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:54 pm
Well, I didn't have the chance to participate last year.

But I would love to be a part of this team once again in loving memory of my aunt.

Hope you get/got home safely.

KittySongLUVsJONASBoys

Shy Hunter

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 pm
KittySongLUVsJONASBoys
Well, I didn't have the chance to participate last year.

But I would love to be a part of this team once again in loving memory of my aunt.

Hope you get/got home safely.

Thank you and welcome! =D I got home safely if a little later than I had hoped. I'll add you to the team and try to get the contests and calender together soon. =)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:33 am
In the name of Tita Cory.. Who died of colon cancer a few years ago! I'm back~

Heeeey, Rannchan~!!

Ayame-Yuura

Familiar Darling

11,450 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100

KittySongLUVsJONASBoys

Shy Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:11 am