Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
RUNE WORKSHOP Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 pm
Hello and welcome to the workshop! Here we are discussing the Runes - specifically the Elder Futhark - of the Germanic peoples. If you would like to talk about the workshop itself, or would like to join in, you can do so here.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 pm
Introduction

This workshop was organised as a way of exploring different interpretations of the runes and to bounce ideas off other people. I am a fellow student of the runes, not a teacher wink We will be spending a week on each rune (this might extend to two weeks if people have difficulty finding the time).

I'll post up the rune poems every week and we can discuss our impressions. Remember to cite a source if you're typing out a quote from a book to share the author's ideas.

Rune books are not necessary, but if you have any, awesome. There are limited previews of books like Taking Up the Runes that you can read on Amazon using the "Look Inside!" and search functions. For my part, the best book I've found so far is the very brief "Rudiments of Runelore" by Stephen Pollington, so I think wise seeking, a good grounding and the rune poems are of primary importance and that's what we're going to go with, consulting other authors too for their impressions.

You may also want to refer to the Eddas and Sagas as we go, or read through some before we start.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:00 pm
Schedule (current week is bolded) - some runes may not take as long as others. There's currently a default of two weeks but I've left out the end of the schedule as things may change as we go along.

Week 1: Orientation
Week 2: Fehu
Week 3 & 4: Uruz
Week 5 & 6: Thurisaz
Week 7 & 8: Ansuz
Week 9 & 10: Raidho
Week 11 & 12: Kenaz
Week 13 & 14: Gebo
Week 15 & 16: Wunjo
Week 17 & 18: Hagalaz
Week 19 & 20: Naudhiz
Week 21 & 22: Isaz
Week 23 & 24: Jera
Week: Eihwaz
Week: Pertho
Week: Algiz
Week: Sowulo
Week: Teiwaz
Week: Berkana
Week: Ehwaz
Week: Mannaz
Week: Laguz
Week: Inguz
Week: Dagaz
Week: Othila  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:20 pm
You will need:

A notebook or word file in which to record your impressions

Around two hours a week to spend on the rune

Bring any rune books you happen to have, but don't rush out and buy more (unless you want to). Even not-so-great rune books might be interesting, just for the sake of comparison if nothing else.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm
Participants:  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:42 pm
Sweet has reminded me about this thread which has some copypasta and other info to start us off.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:32 pm
KOEGAEK;OGGEJ;GN  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 pm
cgkhbjlnm  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:23 am
WEEK ONE: Orientation

This week we'll spend just making sure everyone is ready and on the same page. If you need to get a bit of a grounding first in Norse mythology and religion, the links to the Eddas and Sagas further up the page will help you out. I recommend the Poetic Edda.

In short: the runes are cultural concepts, Mysteries and energies that can be used for magic, divination or simply writing. To use them well, one "takes them up" (as Oðinn did when hanging from Yggdrasil) and understand them as wholes, as ideas. While much magic involves raising your own energy and directing it, runes are outside energies that one calls and channels, and as such can be dangerous. But aside from that, even if one has no interest in magic or divination, they are interesting concepts and lessons that give us insight into Germanic culture and religion.

That's your crib notes wink So I thought this week we could all (if you haven't yet) familiarise ourselves with the concept, ask questions about runes themselves and Germanic religion and culture in general, iron out misunderstandings, discuss the sources we have to hand, etc.

I'm also wondering whether this week people would feel comfortable reaching out to Oðinn in some way. For me this is important, but I don't know how other people might feel about this. Generally I thought it would be kind of cool if everyone made their own sort of overtures but I'm not aware of what sort of bonds and oaths you have with other gods or whatever, so we'll leave it there as an option for discussion.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:54 am
You keep saying Germanic. Are you sure this is the only religion that uses Runes? Because I'm sure I've heard of other religions using runes. sweatdrop  

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 am
Staring Berry
You keep saying Germanic. Are you sure this is the only religion that uses Runes? Because I'm sure I've heard of other religions using runes. sweatdrop

Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and similar would fall under the "Germanic" umbrella. Other than that there is a lot of misappropriation that has occurred in relation to the Runes. Though it's not so much that other paths can't use them, it's just that they tend to use the WAY out of context, or without proper knowledge of what exactly it is that they are working with. There are also other things that are often referred to as Runes, which are in essence something else entirely.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:40 pm
too2sweet
Staring Berry

Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and similar would fall under the "Germanic" umbrella. Other than that there is a lot of misappropriation that has occurred in relation to the Runes. Though it's not so much that other paths can't use them, it's just that they tend to use the WAY out of context, or without proper knowledge of what exactly it is that they are working with. There are also other things that are often referred to as Runes, which are in essence something else entirely.

Ok then maybe I don't know exactly what type of runes we're talking about here. What type are we talking about?  

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:12 pm
Staring Berry

Ok then maybe I don't know exactly what type of runes we're talking about here. What type are we talking about?

Sanguina Cruenta

Here we are discussing the Runes - specifically the Elder Futhark - of the Germanic peoples.

Right in the first post. The Elder Futhark are not the only iteration of the runes in Germanic culture, but they are the original, and the best place to start.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:50 pm
Staring Berry
too2sweet
Staring Berry

these  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 pm
too2sweet
Staring Berry
too2sweet
Staring Berry

these

Thanks biggrin  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas