Pumpkin

9,250 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 am
Hello! I'm Pomponette123, but you can call me Leila whee

So.... I anyone needs help learning Japanese, I am glad to help 3nodding

I'm half Japanese, and I'm fluent in Japanese. Except I kinda suck at writing kanji. I can never remember them......... haha.

Well, anyways, if you want me to help teach you something in Japanese, please ask anything! ぜひ、何でも聞いてください!(Zehi, nandemo kiitekuadasai)

So, if you want me to teach some Japanese or something about Japan, just ask me questions or practice conversations with me or other people, right here this thread! Just reply to this thread, and I'll reply as soon as I can wink  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm
Hello! I was wondering something in regards to grammar. I have been watching a lot of Japanese anime lately and noticed how in conversations, people don't refer to each other by "you", "her/him", etc, they tend to say their names (I don't know a lot of etiquette when it comes to this, so is it considered nice/well-mannered to call each other by their names)? Also, why is it that when a character refers to themselves, they say their own names instead of saying watashi? Are their proper/improper times to say "I"?
Thank you for any an all that explain this 4laugh heart  

CynHimawari2828

Stellar Moonwalker

27,550 Points
  • I Voted! 25
  • Galactic Domination 200

xleila_24689x

Pumpkin

9,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:11 am
CynHimawari2828

Well, there is a way to say you, which is "Kimi", but most people, when they talk to each other, they just say their name. And people usually add "-san" after the name if you want to speak formally, but to friends, they just say "-chan" or "-kun".

Some people, they do refer to themselves by their own name, mostly only when you are talking casually. Most people, though, they just refer to them selfs as "watashi". "Watashi" could be used for both boys and girls, but mainly for girls. For boys, they usually use "boku", or "ore"(only if they are talking really casual). I guess for characters, people might make them refer to themselves to make it sound cuter... whee haha I'm not entirely sure why...

Well, I hope this helped and answered your question!  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:31 pm
Ah! Thank you very much heart
For now, I have one last question to bother you with: there are obviously some heteronymous words (words that are spelled the same, in this case, I would be referring to romanji and speech). Is there a difference in pronunciation when there are two similar words? Like kumo 蜘蛛 spider and kumo 雲 cloud?  

CynHimawari2828

Stellar Moonwalker

27,550 Points
  • I Voted! 25

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:50 am
CynHimawari2828
For now, I have one last question to bother you with: there are obviously some heteronymous words (words that are spelled the same, in this case, I would be referring to romanji and speech). Is there a difference in pronunciation when there are two similar words? Like kumo 蜘蛛 spider and kumo 雲 cloud?

Thats easy to answer actually. it's just a slight pronunciation difference, in which part of the word you stress. for example, Hashi for is both Chopsticks and Bridge. For Chopsticks the stress is on Ha and for bridge the stress is on Shi. If i remember right >.>  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:14 pm
Miyu_Aizawa
CynHimawari2828

Thats easy to answer actually. it's just a slight pronunciation difference, in which part of the word you stress. for example, Hashi for is both Chopsticks and Bridge. For Chopsticks the stress is on Ha and for bridge the stress is on Shi. If i remember right >.>

Would you know if something like google translate would have that difference audible? Or mechanical voices don't do that?  

CynHimawari2828

Stellar Moonwalker

27,550 Points
  • I Voted! 25

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 pm
CynHimawari2828
Miyu_Aizawa
CynHimawari2828

Would you know if something like google translate would have that difference audible? Or mechanical voices don't do that?

I just tested it out and it seems like it.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:09 pm
Miyu_Aizawa
CynHimawari2828
Miyu_Aizawa
CynHimawari2828

Nice! Thank you so much for testing it out, I can pronounce words well enough, but I would to say each correctly (I have a problem with differentiating the force in similar words sweatdrop ).  

CynHimawari2828

Stellar Moonwalker

27,550 Points
  • I Voted! 25

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 pm
CynHimawari2828
Miyu_Aizawa
CynHimawari2828
Miyu_Aizawa
CynHimawari2828

Nice! Thank you so much for testing it out, I can pronounce words well enough, but I would to say each correctly (I have a problem with differentiating the force in similar words sweatdrop ).

Eventually it will come a little naturally. like when you have heard it used. And japanese is very context based so with similar sounding words you will get the difference from the context clues. You can also come up with cleaver ways to remember them... or try too, I've only really thought of a good one for bridge. haha.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:29 pm
朝ご飯 :asagohan: breakfast (is the han part pronounced chan? google translate is confusing me). I know that like in English, things can sound different, also that sometimes even though it is a は (ha) can be read as "wa", so is this a case where "ha" isn't pronounced normally? Or google translate has a horrible computer voice?  

CynHimawari2828

Stellar Moonwalker

27,550 Points
  • I Voted! 25

xleila_24689x

Pumpkin

9,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:10 am
CynHimawari2828
朝ご飯 :asagohan: breakfast (is the han part pronounced chan? google translate is confusing me). I know that like in English, things can sound different, also that sometimes even though it is a は (ha) can be read as "wa", so is this a case where "ha" isn't pronounced normally? Or google translate has a horrible computer voice?

This is a case where google translate has a horrible computer voice wink It's pronounced han. Not chan. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 pm
Honostly, I just want to learn as much japanese as possible. I think talking to someone is the best way for me however. So, can you teach me the basics and eventualy get to the normal language.  

Razer Breeze

5,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100

CynHimawari2828

Stellar Moonwalker

27,550 Points
  • I Voted! 25
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:30 pm
Pomponette123
CynHimawari2828

This is a case where google translate has a horrible computer voice wink It's pronounced han. Not chan. 3nodding

I thought so. I was getting concerned because I have never heard of an "h" pronounced like that. Thank you very much 3nodding Helpful as always heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 pm
Can you help me on my nihongo :O ?????  

Shiraishi Shiori

1,400 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Hygienic 200

xleila_24689x

Pumpkin

9,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 pm
Shiraishi Shiori
Can you help me on my nihongo :O ?????

344782joshua
Honostly, I just want to learn as much japanese as possible. I think talking to someone is the best way for me however. So, can you teach me the basics and eventualy get to the normal language.

Of course I'll help you biggrin (Joshua, sorry for late reply)

Let's start with the basics of the basics smile

Greetings:

Well, you probably already now how to say hello, right?

こんにちわ - Konnichiwa

This website has bunch of different people pronouncing konnichiwa wink It's kind of funny, but it helps haha razz
http://www.forvo.com/word/konnichiwa/

さよなら - Sa yo na ra - Goodbye

Again, same website:
http://www.forvo.com/word/sayonara/

Inroducing yourself:

わたしは - wa ta shi wa - I am (The direct translation is I am, but it could be used for "my name is". If you're a boy, you can say ぼく - Boku, instead of わたし - watashi, though many men use watashi when they want to be polite.

______です - ____ is where you say your name - です - desu is added at the end of the sentence because it makes it more polite.

So to introduce yourself:

こんにちわ。わたしは_____です。
Ko n ni chi wa. Wa ta shi wa ______ desu.
Hello. I am ______.

You can also add at the end of the sentence:

はじめまして - Ha ji me ma shi te - Nice to meet you.

Pronunciation
http://www.forvo.com/search/hajimemashite/

So, if you add it et the end:
こんにちわ。わたしは_____です。はじめまして。
Ko n ni chi wa. Wa ta shi wa ______ desu. Ha ji me ma shi te.
Hello. I am ______. Nice to meet you.

Next, how to ask, "What is your name?"

なまえはなんですか? - Na ma e wa na n desu ka? - What is your name?

If you want to be polite, you can add "O" at the beginning.

おなまえはなんですか?- O Na ma e wa na n desu ka? - What is your name? (polite version)

Ok biggrin Now you know a little bit of the basics of how to greet people! (Hopefully) razz

If you have any questions, or you have something specific that you want to learn, don't hesitate to ask!  
Japanese language

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff