Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
I want to learn how to read Tarot cards. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:45 am
I figured I'd teach myself through the instructions the cards come with and things online. Plus my aunt knows how to read them (but refused to teach me until I came up with a better reason them "It looks cool") but I think if I have a question she would answer it. I just have a few questions.

1. Where did you buy your cards?
2. How do I know the deck I'm buying is legit?
3. Where do you do readings?
4. Why did you learn?
5. Is it a spiritual thing for you or is it more of an "act"?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:33 pm
Staring Berry
I figured I'd teach myself through the instructions the cards come with and things online. Plus my aunt knows how to read them (but refused to teach me until I came up with a better reason them "It looks cool") but I think if I have a question she would answer it. I just have a few questions.

1. Where did you buy your cards? Really anywhere you find a deck that you like - Amazon has a good variety. If you aren't sure which ones you like you can always browse the Aeclectic Tarot site as well. They have info on tons of different decks.

2. How do I know the deck I'm buying is legit? What do you mean legit exactly? You can draw stick figures on the back of a stack of napkins and still have a "legit" tarot deck. Like any ritual tool, they are a way of focusing one's energies. The key is to find a deck that calls to you, or that you feel resonates with you.

3. Where do you do readings? I don't do readings all that often, but when I do, I try to at the very least make sure that the area I'm reading in is organized and clean, and make sure that I ground and center. If it's something really important, then I might even do a full on circle, or ritual type reading.

4. Why did you learn? Ehh.. I've not ever put a huge amount of time into formally learning, as divination is not something I've ever been all that good at. But it's been mentioned time and again as a skill worthy of knowing, so I felt the need to at least pick up the basics of a few different methods.

5. Is it a spiritual thing for you or is it more of an "act"? Depends on what it's being used for, but if it's in connection with a working or ritual, then it is very much a spiritual thing.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:56 pm
Various book stores.

See too2sweet's response.

Anywhere I'm at that I decide to. But always on the cloth I keep them in.

4. Why did you learn?
Honestly... my first deck was from the impulse check out section at B&N. I figured why not.

Kind of both, I guess. I'm a critic, I never expect anything out of it. But they haven't been wrong yet.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:58 am
In a new age store in my town. But I think my father bought it for me. Not entirely sure anymore.

No idea. Follow your instinct?

At home in the living room.

4. Why did you learn?
Curiosity.

Spiritual mostly.  

pompoennetje

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 am
I bought some of my decks from Pagan type stores, one from Barnes and Noble, one was ordered from Amazon. I have been gifted other decks.

I have quite a few non-tarot decks (specialty decks like an animal oracle or "Words of wisdom for women who do too much"), so I'm not really hung up on traditional styles. If you want a deck with more traditional imagery, I would do some research and check out the cards before hand. I have decks that follow tarot card structure that are very modern and might not appeal to someone wanting more standard symbols...but I like them. I pretty much buy decks I like the art on that I feel will speak to me.

I don't really do readings for other people. I have done a couple for friends, but never read for money. Mostly I read for myself.

4. Why did you learn?
When I first started, I would pull out the little white book that came with my deck and check the meaning for every card I pulled. After a while I got tired of this (the booklet was pretty standard and horrible, just lists of key words tied to each card), so I sat down for a couple of hours, and one by one pulled every card in my deck and just sat with it, meditating and thinking about what came to mind for the images. This is mostly how I read now, I let the cards speak to me and I just focus on opening up and listening.

In the middle of all that, I did do a lot of reading on different systems of interpretation, from using the fools/hero's journey to interpret the major arcana to using numerology for the minor. Sometimes these meanings pop into my head when I read, and I use what comes up.

Because I mainly read for myself, there is no act involved really. It is a way for me to listen and think and open myself up to guidance.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 am
I just realized question 4 was why and not how!

I started because it was pretty well 'standard' for a Pagan or Witch to read tarot when I was starting. I loved the different decks and their art, and the idea of being able to connect with a higher source and seek guidance (which since I was very solitary was extremely appealing).  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:09 am
Staring Berry

Borders cat_crying

Quote:

What Sweet said. I mean there's a certain standard for tarot but if it doesn't meet that standard it can still be used for cardomancy.

Quote:

I haven't in a while. But I would usually do them in my room.

Quote:
4. Why did you learn?

Still learning. It had to be put on hold for a while while I was living with my mom because to her tarot=witchcraft and any sign of witchcraft she got all freaky over. She got all freaky over me buying another deck after I gave a friend the one I bought while I was living with my dad. She only let me keep them because I liked the art and promised I wouldn't use them in her house.

Quote:

What exactly do you mean by act?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 pm
too2sweet
Staring Berry

1. Where did you buy your cards? Really anywhere you find a deck that you like - Amazon has a good variety. If you aren't sure which ones you like you can always browse the Aeclectic Tarot site as well. They have info on tons of different decks.

2. How do I know the deck I'm buying is legit? What do you mean legit exactly? You can draw stick figures on the back of a stack of napkins and still have a "legit" tarot deck. Like any ritual tool, they are a way of focusing one's energies. The key is to find a deck that calls to you, or that you feel resonates with you.

3. Where do you do readings? I don't do readings all that often, but when I do, I try to at the very least make sure that the area I'm reading in is organized and clean, and make sure that I ground and center. If it's something really important, then I might even do a full on circle, or ritual type reading.

4. Why did you learn? Ehh.. I've not ever put a huge amount of time into formally learning, as divination is not something I've ever been all that good at. But it's been mentioned time and again as a skill worthy of knowing, so I felt the need to at least pick up the basics of a few different methods.

5. Is it a spiritual thing for you or is it more of an "act"? Depends on what it's being used for, but if it's in connection with a working or ritual, then it is very much a spiritual thing.

I read somewhere that it's bad luck to buy your own deck?
Also, I ment legit like...not fake cards sold at a magic shop or as novelty.  

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:46 pm
Staring Berry
too2sweet
Staring Berry

Eh... there's some sort of myth floating around, but honestly I think most people prefer to buy their own decks. You are typically a better judge of which deck feels right for you, or which ones might work better for you.

What's wrong with cards sold at a magic shop, or as novelty - if they work, they work. That was sort of the point I was trying to make in my answer. Cards - in and of themselves are just pieces of paper, it's what you do with them that counts.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:44 am
Staring Berry

The two decks I use most and have worked the best for me were the two I have bought myself, though I have heard that (it was bad luck to buy your own) before as well.

I think it is interesting the idea that some decks get picked on for not being proper decks more than others. I have one that was created as a prop for a roleplaying game, but it technically is a proper tarot deck (in that it has the standard major/minor arcana makeup). I don't find it any less relevant than any other deck based on a fictional source for imagery. I remember many years back, I saw a Lord of the Rings deck (that came with not only instructions for reading it as a tarot deck, but also for playing a card game with them).

If I were to be offering my services as a paid tarot reader, I probably would not use a deck based on a fictional source, because it is my experience that a lot of people have a very hard line between fiction and reality. I don't share the opinion that everything in every fictional source is absolutely made up. There are a lot of fictional things that are based on very real world concepts. And especially when it comes to something like tarot, I can easily see the deeper archetypes and meanings in modern or pop culture images (in fact, in some ways they might be easier for some to connect with than with older more traditional imagery that isn't as relevant in the modern world).  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:46 am
1. Where did you buy your cards? Borders, when they existed.(I miss them so). Amazon and B&N have some as well.
2. How do I know the deck I'm buying is legit? You can make your own, plus there are many varieties. Just find what speaks to you.
3. Where do you do readings? Anywhere. I did them at school once for friends when I was trying them out.
4. Why did you learn? Books, tarotcollege.com.
5. Is it a spiritual thing for you or is it more of an "act"? As mentioned, it depends on what you're using them for.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 am
kyndryana3
Staring Berry

The two decks I use most and have worked the best for me were the two I have bought myself, though I have heard that (it was bad luck to buy your own) before as well.

I think it is interesting the idea that some decks get picked on for not being proper decks more than others. I have one that was created as a prop for a roleplaying game, but it technically is a proper tarot deck (in that it has the standard major/minor arcana makeup). I don't find it any less relevant than any other deck based on a fictional source for imagery. I remember many years back, I saw a Lord of the Rings deck (that came with not only instructions for reading it as a tarot deck, but also for playing a card game with them).

If I were to be offering my services as a paid tarot reader, I probably would not use a deck based on a fictional source, because it is my experience that a lot of people have a very hard line between fiction and reality. I don't share the opinion that everything in every fictional source is absolutely made up. There are a lot of fictional things that are based on very real world concepts. And especially when it comes to something like tarot, I can easily see the deeper archetypes and meanings in modern or pop culture images (in fact, in some ways they might be easier for some to connect with than with older more traditional imagery that isn't as relevant in the modern world).

Personally I'd prefer one with traditional art because people would take me more seriously. When I told my dad that I wanted cards for my birthday he jokingly said "Maybe I can find some really cool adventure time ones" and I told him no...  

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 am
too2sweet
Staring Berry

Eh... there's some sort of myth floating around, but honestly I think most people prefer to buy their own decks. You are typically a better judge of which deck feels right for you, or which ones might work better for you.

What's wrong with cards sold at a magic shop, or as novelty - if they work, they work. That was sort of the point I was trying to make in my answer. Cards - in and of themselves are just pieces of paper, it's what you do with them that counts.

Adding on to what Sweet said here, the oracle deck I would use all the time was marketed as just a toy. Hell I used to play with them and pretend I was Sakura fighting bad guys with my Clow cards. Later on I found out there was a book published in Japan that was how to use them for readings and it had in there that if you didn't have the Clow cards you could use regular playing cards.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:11 am
Forgot to mention as well, that for anyone looking to learn - Learning the Tarot is a good online resource. You can use the site online, or download the info for free, so you can use it off-line.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 am
too2sweet
Forgot to mention as well, that for anyone looking to learn - Learning the Tarot is a good online resource. You can use the site online, or download the info for free, so you can use it off-line.

Thanks Sweet. I will definitely be reading this over. I've been wanting to get back into cardomancy for a while. But I lost the stuff on how to read my Clow cards. cat_sweatdrop  
*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games