Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Convention Food - Best & Worst Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 pm
Hello everyone,

Something to think and post about. Often conventions seem to forget about having something to eat for the Cosplayers and convention visitors. To be fair many of the places that hold the conventions have rules about what can be offered. What are the best and worst convention food experiences have you had?

Best - Jafax near Grand Rapids Michigan. The Grand Valley State University allows the convention to sell fast food and snacks and they allow for venders to come in and sell all of the Japanese food, snacks, Pocky!!, and drinks that they want.

Worst - Shuto Con in Lansing Michigan. The convention center had just one food vendor that had high priced and low quality food. My brother and I had to go to a nearby fast food place to get something decent. sad  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:18 pm
Oooh!! Food is always important at cons. It's really important to eat, especially if you're bound!

Best: FANIME: Manalive, I think I look forward to the food just as much as the convention! There's quite a few options to choose from, and the locals always get excited to see the cosplayers about! I usually go to Hydration (Asian food and bubble tea) and Pizza My Heart for sure. Oh, and even better is that in addition to food, THERE'S COFFEE SHOPS! Woot Woot!

Worst: Bakersfield Comic Book Conventions A.K.A. BakoComBoCon. There was NOTHING around! We ended up eating samples at a nearby food.... truck... thing... >>

When in doubt, bring your own food! It's better than going hungry.  

xinitia

Crew

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:01 pm
Best food:
*Tied for best*
SDCC and Ikkicon

They got great eateries within walking distance from the convention. Not only is the food fresh, but it's actually a good deal when eating with friends.

Worst food:
AnimeFEST

Mostly, it's fast food if you want to stay within the confines of the convention itself. The food trucks are okay, but it does get old fast.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:43 pm
Having been to literally two cons...
ToraCon had college food, being at a campus. And at one point, they randomly got pizza

MiniCon is literally mini, and only an evening long, so no food there

My con experience is about none  

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:18 pm
xinitia
Oooh!! Food is always important at cons. It's really important to eat, especially if you're bound!

Best: FANIME: Manalive, I think I look forward to the food just as much as the convention! There's quite a few options to choose from, and the locals always get excited to see the cosplayers about! I usually go to Hydration (Asian food and bubble tea) and Pizza My Heart for sure. Oh, and even better is that in addition to food, THERE'S COFFEE SHOPS! Woot Woot!

Worst: Bakersfield Comic Book Conventions A.K.A. BakoComBoCon. There was NOTHING around! We ended up eating samples at a nearby food.... truck... thing... >>

When in doubt, bring your own food! It's better than going hungry.

It's nice seeing what you can find at local restaurants. I've never seen a food truck but both them and samples sound awful. At Youmacon in Downtown Detroit many people stayed at nearby hotels in the Greektown area of Detroit and ate ethnic food at nearby places. Also the Renaissance Center has a food court. Youmacon happens to have a Maid Cafe which is quite an experience but expensive. Worst part about Youmacon is that they don't allow vendors to sell Japanese food. You can't even get Pocky their. sad That's why I like Jafax better. I can look at and buy Japanese food.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:27 pm
Shannon Kyra Liannanon
ToraCon had college food, being at a campus. And at one point, they randomly got pizza

Hi Lianna, As you can tell from the answers to my food question so far that food varies a lot from one con to another. Good advice from one of the answers above is to have a back up plan for food and if necessary bring your own. At cons in the summer I brought bottle water with me in a small cooler. It was a life saver. I hope that you have a chance to see Japanese food venders at a con. Besides Pocky they can have a lot of interesting and different snack foods and sweets from Japan. If you haven't had Pocky yet it's a convention must. Pocky is candy coated edible stick of many flavors. Once you try it you will get hooked. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:01 pm
smithers456
Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Hi Lianna, As you can tell from the answers to my food question so far that food varies a lot from one con to another. Good advice from one of the answers above is to have a back up plan for food and if necessary bring your own. At cons in the summer I brought bottle water with me in a small cooler. It was a life saver. I hope that you have a chance to see Japanese food venders at a con. Besides Pocky they can have a lot of interesting and different snack foods and sweets from Japan. If you haven't had Pocky yet it's a convention must. Pocky is candy coated edible stick of many flavors. Once you try it you will get hooked. smile
my first Pocky was at ToraCon. For free. Even though it wasn't the Pocky Ninja. She even gave me one of the packs. And the local walmart has Pocky
Woot
I like sushi  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:33 pm
I have different things to look forward to at different cons. At Fanime, I look forward to Boba. We usually go out for breakfast on our way to SacCon (last time we had an AMAZING waitress at Denny's). Kraken Con, we have dinner at iHop. Oh, I love the food traditions! Often I think I enjoy going to restaurants in cosplay as much as the convention!  

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm
xinitia
I have different things to look forward to at different cons. At Fanime, I look forward to Boba. We usually go out for breakfast on our way to SacCon (last time we had an AMAZING waitress at Denny's). Kraken Con, we have dinner at iHop. Oh, I love the food traditions! Often I think I enjoy going to restaurants in cosplay as much as the convention!

I know what you mean about going to restaurants near conventions. I feel just as free to be either myself or in character at restaurants and even stores when I'm wearing my outfits. I get curious looks and even questions from people who have not gone to the con and I Love talking to them about what it's all about. Often the reaction is, I gotten check it out. smile I have yet to go to a Maid Cafe. They have one at Youmacon in Detroit. I've heard good things about the experience. It's like walking into a scene in an Anime episode. What has stopped me so far is the high prices and having to wait in line. I will have to finally break down and save up extra money to go to the Maid Cafe this year.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:12 pm
smithers456
xinitia

I know what you mean about going to restaurants near conventions. I feel just as free to be either myself or in character at restaurants and even stores when I'm wearing my outfits. I get curious looks and even questions from people who have not gone to the con and I Love talking to them about what it's all about. Often the reaction is, I gotten check it out. smile I have yet to go to a Maid Cafe. They have one at Youmacon in Detroit. I've heard good things about the experience. It's like walking into a scene in an Anime episode. What has stopped me so far is the high prices and having to wait in line. I will have to finally break down and save up extra money to go to the Maid Cafe this year.

If you have the money, definitely go to it once, especially in cosplay! The last time I went to the maid cafe at Fanime it was a BLAST! I was dressed up as Guy from Tales of the Abyss, who is afraid of women. Our maid knew the character and we both played it up. It was so much fun!!!!  

xinitia

Crew

Jani Seguchi1

Married Vampire

11,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:50 pm
Well having only been to 2 different conventions I am going to have to say the best is Anime Boston. Not only do they have their own food section. But you have a whole mall food court to choose from not to mention restaurants inside the mall to eat in. Stores around the area to buy food at. So you have a wide choice of what you want to eat at Anime Boston.

Worst goes to Another Anime Convention. Reason why is you have food there but as always its expensive. You want food when they are closed you have to drive out of your way to the local McDonald's or any other fast food place around the area to eat at. Or have a pizza sent to you. It was in Nashua NH where I knew where everything was. Now its in Manchester NH. This answer may change when I move though. Gotta see how the anime scene is in Florida.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:56 pm
Jani Seguchi1
Well having only been to 2 different conventions I am going to have to say the best is Anime Boston. Not only do they have their own food section. But you have a whole mall food court to choose from not to mention restaurants inside the mall to eat in. Stores around the area to buy food at. So you have a wide choice of what you want to eat at Anime Boston.

Worst goes to Another Anime Convention. Reason why is you have food there but as always its expensive. You want food when they are closed you have to drive out of your way to the local McDonald's or any other fast food place around the area to eat at. Or have a pizza sent to you. It was in Nashua NH where I knew where everything was. Now its in Manchester NH. This answer may change when I move though. Gotta see how the anime scene is in Florida.

Youmacon at Downtown Detroit does have a food court at the Renaissance Center where part of the con is at so that can work in a pinch. Also their are many restaurants in places in Detroit called Greektown which can be pretty good. I found out not that long ago that cosplayers have stayed at hotels in the Greektown area and had a great time at the hotel and the restaurants nearby. The only thing that I don't like at the con itself is the fact that they won't let convention dealers bring in Japanese food items for sale because it would interfere with the regular food vendors at the convention center which is sad.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 pm
I'm iffy about Con food courts. The food is usually decent, but it's so expensive! In those instances, I'm much better planning ahead of time and bringing a lunch.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 pm
xinitia
I'm iffy about Con food courts. The food is usually decent, but it's so expensive! In those instances, I'm much better planning ahead of time and bringing a lunch.

I will certainly give it some thought about bringing food to a con. At Jafax I stay with friends which makes things easier. The other 2 cons that I go to I drive to so it's harder because I would have to go back and forth to my car. Yes, fast food courts do raise the prices up because they know that the con goers want to get the food. Somehow their has to be a better solution to the food problem at cons.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 pm
Best? That depends on the con. I only go to three currently, so...

Katsucon: Nando's, hands down. Potbelly is pretty good. The food options inside the Gaylord proper are kind of meh, so... yeah. Your mileage may vary.

Otakon: Now that I've found the one in Baltimore, Nando's. Royal Farms has pretty good fried chicken for a convenience store. Five Guys, but that's a given. If you take the Charm City Circulator's Orange bus, you should be able to get off near the Blue Moon Cafe -- definitely worth it, as their breakfasts are pretty good. Pricey, but good.

Nekocon: Waffle House, McDonalds, KFC are pretty good and kinda close to the con venue. Golden Corral is good for post-con fooding.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff