Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A lesson in Etymology (read and contribute). Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:47 pm
Etymology - The origin of words.

I thought it might be good if we compiled a list of words and phrases with interesting backgrounds.

I suppose I should start you off.

Chortle - laugh - invented by Reverend Dodgson (Lewis Carrol) in Alice Through the Looking Glass - portmanteau of chuckle and snort.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:21 pm
I know ones! Fraterinity comes from the italian word for brother, like sorority comes from teh word for sister. Alot of words in medicine and the such are rooted from latin, and phobias all have latin (Phobia is latin for fear, and let's take the fear of blood, hemophobia for exsample. Hemo means blood). I know I can think of alot more, just not right now. Mainly latin.  

lola_siannodel

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:29 pm
lola_siannodel
I know ones! Fraterinity comes from the italian word for brother, like sorority comes from teh word for sister. Alot of words in medicine and the such are rooted from latin, and phobias all have latin (Phobia is latin for fear, and let's take the fear of blood, hemophobia for exsample. Hemo means blood). I know I can think of alot more, just not right now. Mainly latin.

Frater and soror come from Latin, I'm afraid, not Italian. As do pater and mater (patricide and matricide, also fratricide and sororicide).

Phobia is Greek.

And cide means killing in Latin (at least I think it's Latin).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:35 pm
BlackRavenFeathers
lola_siannodel

Frater and soror come from Latin, I'm afraid, not Italian. As do pater and mater (patricide and matricide, also fratricide and sororicide).

Phobia is Greek.

And cide means killing in Latin (at least I think it's Latin).

Well, I heard that from my italian teacher. I thought it was truely latin, but I wasn't sure. The italian word for brother is fratello, and sorella means sister. Italian is rooted from latin. In fact, my italian teacher even mentioned that her friend was taking an exam for medical college, and she looked at it, and knew half of the answers because the words are rooted from latin and look so similare to Italian words. And i knew cide ment killing. I thought I was forgeting something. And thanks for correcting me on Phobia.  

lola_siannodel

Doombringer50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:51 pm
Note the root of many words are not obvious, English stemming from three main languages, Latin, German, and Greek. Many words find there origin in theese texts. By the way, hemo is for hemoglobin, the normal type of red blood cell. segragation is from segres, murder is slang for homicide. the truth is, many words we commonly use are slang, the total words in the English language are more than one million, we only use about three thousand in common speech, almost all of the regular words are slang.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:40 am
Yep, Italian, Latin, French, Spanish and English have many words rooted from Latin.

As for homicide, homo means man, cide, killing, so it literally means man-killing. More -cide words come from Latin.

Like I'm guessing uxoricide (wife-killing) has Latin roots, as someone mentioned uxoicious (or similar) in the word of the day thread, which means being unsually submissive to one's wife.

Ithaya

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:31 am
The word "umbrella" comes from "umbria" which means "shade" and -ella which means "little". Umbrella = "little shade".  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:23 am
Shinobi 1977
The word "umbrella" comes from "umbria" which means "shade" and -ella which means "little". Umbrella = "little shade".

^_^ Wow. What language? Latin?  

Ithaya

P u p s i c l e

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:35 pm
Oh, Jesus, I love these! heart

Here's a nice little (not really) list, if you don't mind...(The only reason I ask is because it might stretch the page...should I do them a little at a time?) 4laugh  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:45 pm
Here are a few of the many that I know:

sangfroid-- French, meaning a person who has the ability to remain cool and composed in danger or other difficult situations.

nepotism-- (somehow) Both French and Italian, the practice among those with powewr or influence of favoring family or friends (usually by giving them jobs)

lionize-- Latin, meaning to give someone public attention or treat him/her as a celebrity.

valedictorian-- Latin, usually a student having the highest grades in a class, who delivers the farewewll speech for graduation.  

P u p s i c l e

Ithaya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:20 am
Latrate - to bark as a dog. From Latin latratus - bark.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:25 am
Genuflect - to kneel as in reverence or worship. From Latin genu (knee) and flecto (to bend).

Hehe. ^^ I just used a Latin dictionary for that one.

Ithaya

JTequila

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:19 pm
The etymology of the english language comes from the French, the Anglos, the Saxons, the Jutes, Latin, and Celtic languages.

So.. y'know, the roots of most-all words are quite different. Except for the french-introduced ones. Those are more recent.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:06 am
Hippopotamus - Derived from the Greek words 'ippos' (horse) and 'potamos' (river). Literally: 'riverhorse'

Mesopatomia - Derived from the Greek words 'mesos' (middle, between) and 'potamos' (river). Literally: between rivers

***** - Derived from the Greek words 'paidos' (child) and 'philios' (love, lover). Literally: Child lover

Necrophilia - Derived from the Greek words 'necros' (dead body) and 'philios' (love, lover). Literally: Dead body lover

lola_siannodel
Alot of words in medicine and the such are rooted from latin, and phobias all have latin (Phobia is latin for fear, and let's take the fear of blood, hemophobia for exsample. Hemo means blood).

Hemo isn't derived from Latin, it's derived from the Greek word 'Aimos', blood smile

Eurykleia

Jill_Frost

Greedy Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:26 am
Sophomore-

Latin, I believe

Sopho - Wise
More - Fool

Thus a sophomore is a "wise fool".  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items