Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Canadian Conventions
Otafest (May 2025) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm
This thread is all about Otafest. Feel free to mention if you're going to attend Otafest and what cosplay(s) you will be wearing.

What Is It?:
gaia_angelright Otafest is a non-profit three day anime convention, which supports a local charity each year through Angel Pass sales, Maid/Butler Cafe ticket sales, Charity Auction, Sketch Drive, and more.
gaia_angelright The main angelic mascots are Persephone (Seph) and Aurora (Au-chan). Seph is the main mascot for Otafest and Au-chan was the main mascot for Otafest Aurora.
gaia_angelright Guest angelic mascots are June, Lorelei, Mio, and Vari. Guest angelic cat mascot is Gabriel.

When Is It?:
gaia_angelright Otafest is on May Long Weekend.

Where Is It?:
gaia_angelright Otafest occurs at the Telus Convention Centre in Calgary, Alberta.

Where to find more information about Otafest:
gaia_angelright deviantART
gaia_angelright Discord
gaia_angelright Facebook Group
gaia_angelright Facebook Page
gaia_angelright Instagram
gaia_angelright Snapchat
gaia_angelright TikTok
gaia_angelright Tumblr
gaia_angelright Twitter
gaia_angelright Website
gaia_angelright YouTube

Other things that are related to Otafest:
gaia_angelright Behfar (YouTube) - he helps run Otafest and sometimes has 'preview videos' for each convention

UPDATES:
gaia_angelright At Otafest 2014, it was announced that Otafest Aurora 2014 will be at SAIT Polytechnic.
gaia_angelright At Otafest 2015, it was announced that Otafest Aurora 2015 will be two days. The Gala is on the first day and the Festival is on the second day.
gaia_angelright At Otafest 2015, it was also announced that Otafest 2016 will be at Telus Convention Centre on July 1-3, 2016. Seph will be turning 18 years old in 2016.
gaia_angelright At Otafest 2017, it was announced that Otafest 2018 will be happening on May 18-20, 2018. Seph will be turning 20 years old in 2018.
gaia_angelright After Otafest 2017, it was also announced that Otafest Aurora 2017 will not be happening.
gaia_angelright Otafest Aurora is not happening until further notice.
gaia_angelright Due to COVID-19 situation, Otafest 2020 will not be happening this year. Otafest has now been postponed until May 21-23, 2021. See this link for details.
gaia_angelright Due to COVID still, Otafest 2021 has been cancelled. This time, attendees get a full refund or the option to have their admission fee donated to Otafest. There is also no set date yet for Otafest 2022. See this link for details.
gaia_angelright While Otafest 2021 (the 3 day event) is cancelled, it's having a one day live-streamed event on May 22, 2021. See this link for the Facebook event for it.

gaia_angelright Otafest 2023 was Otafest’s 25th anniversary.
gaia_angelright At Otafest 2023, $30,000 was raised for the MEOW foundation, which is a cat-focused pet adoption and humane society charity. Normally, the yearly charity goal of $5,000 gets doubled, but this is the first time that the goal was broken at a huge amount!
gaia_angelright Otafest 2024 is on Mother’s Day weekend, which is May 10-12, 2024. There will be a special ‘my spawn chose Otafest over me’ pin for the first x-amount of moms, which includes traditional moms, con moms, dad moms, moms to be, and other kinds of moms.
gaia_angelright Due to Otafest 2022 and Otafest 2023, it is HIGHLY recommended to pre-purchase your weekend ticket or day specific pass online through Otafest’s website. These two Otafests got sold out, which is a first in Otafest’s history!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:41 pm
So, who is going to Otafest this year and as what character(s)? It's on May 16-18, 2014.

I will be attending Otafest again this year. I will be cosplaying as casual, Magnet-inspired Gakupo (Vocaloid) on the Friday and Organization XIII Riku (Kingdom Hearts) on the Sunday. As for the Saturday, I am either going to cosplay as Dark Navi (Legend Of Zelda) if I can find myself a Dark Link to go with or as casual older Lea (Kingdom Hearts).

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:30 pm
KayaLing
So, who is going to Otafest this year and as what character(s)? It's on May 16-18, 2014.

I will be attending Otafest again this year. I will be cosplaying as casual, Magnet-inspired Gakupo (Vocaloid) on the Friday and Organization XIII Riku (Kingdom Hearts) on the Sunday. As for the Saturday, I am either going to cosplay as Dark Navi (Legend Of Zelda) if I can find myself a Dark Link to go with or as casual older Lea (Kingdom Hearts).

My Finalized Cosplay Lineup For Otafest 2014:
gaia_star FRIDAY - casual Gakupo from Vocaloid (possibly Magnet if I get butterfly headphones done; either way, it'll be the same outfit)
gaia_star SATURDAY - school Riku from Kingdom Hearts (not the KH school version though)
gaia_star SUNDAY (aka KH Day) - Organization XIII Riku from Kingdom Hearts (I am part of a KH group)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:40 pm
The conventions sounds great!! I wish that I could go. I always wanted to see Calgary. Have a great time. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:33 pm
smithers456
The conventions sounds great!! I wish that I could go. I always wanted to see Calgary. Have a great time. smile

I had so much fun with my friends, with other cosplayers, and doing photo shoots. I even participated in the Crossplay Pageant. I didn't win, but it was fun anyways.

I personally haven't been to Otafest Aurora, but a bunch of my friends go to that one. They seem to enjoy it. I always have attended Otafest since 2010 though. I can say that Otafest is a fun anime convention to go to. It also donates to a charity every year. Any attendee of Otafest can donate for the chosen charity. We usually double the money goal each year, too. :3

Calgary is a pretty good place. It has many different places to do cosplay photo shoots at. You should come to Otafest sometime then. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 pm
KayaLing
smithers456

I had so much fun with my friends, with other cosplayers, and doing photo shoots. I even participated in the Crossplay Pageant. I didn't win, but it was fun anyways.

I personally haven't been to Otafest Aurora, but a bunch of my friends go to that one. They seem to enjoy it. I always have attended Otafest since 2010 though. I can say that Otafest is a fun anime convention to go to. It also donates to a charity every year. Any attendee of Otafest can donate for the chosen charity. We usually double the money goal each year, too. :3

Calgary is a pretty good place. It has many different places to do cosplay photo shoots at. You should come to Otafest sometime then. ^^

I'm glad that you had a great time at the con. Living in Michigan I have been to many places in Ontario. Loved every minute of it. I went to Ontario for site seeing and hiking. It would be wonderful someday to go to Calgary and check out not only the city but the con their as well. I'm not surprised that their are many beautiful places to do photoshoots. It's also very nice to support charities at cons. I've seen that happening at more and more cons. Cosplayers and Otaku really do care!! smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:35 pm
UPDATE!!!

gaia_angelright Otafest Aurora 2014 is on Saturday, November 29, at SAIT in Calgary, Alberta.

I will be at Otafest Aurora for once this year. After work, I will be making a brief appearance in the late afternoon-evening. I will be cosplaying as Lady Gakuko (Vocaloid).  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm
ANOTHER UPDATE!!!

gaia_angelright Otafest 2015 is on May 15-17. The theme for it has something to do with space and most likely the Angel of Space.

Click here to see the promotional poster for it!  

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:57 am
KayaLing
ANOTHER UPDATE!!! Otafest 2015 is on May 15-17. The theme for it has something to do with space and most likely the Angel of Space.

KayaLing, Thanks a lot for the updates. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:41 pm
smithers456
KayaLing
ANOTHER UPDATE!!! Otafest 2015 is on May 15-17. The theme for it has something to do with space and most likely the Angel of Space.

KayaLing, Thanks a lot for the updates. smile

It's not a problem. ^.^  

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:03 pm
The schedule for Otafest 2015 has been recently put up onto the Otafest website! I can finally make my cosplay lineup official because my cosplay lineup really depended on when Quinton Flynn was having a panel.

gaia_star On the Friday, I will be cosplaying from the Kingdom Hearts series as yukata Riku with my yukata Axel.
gaia_star On the Saturday, I will be cosplaying from Naruto as Sakura with a Pein and hopefully some other Akatsuki members (random or not).
gaia_star On the Sunday, I will be cosplaying from Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance as casual Lea, but with my restyled Axel/Lea wig that isn't seen in the picture though. >.< I want to meet Quinton Flynn as one of the characters that he has voiced as.

Are any of you going to Otafest 2015 and if so, as what character? Please feel free to share.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:30 pm
UPDATE!!!

gaia_angelright At Otafest 2015, it was announced that Otafest Aurora 2015 will be two days. The Gala is on the first day and the Festival is on the second day.
gaia_angelright At Otafest 2015, it was also announced that Otafest 2016 will be at Telus Convention Centre on July 1-3, 2016. Seph will be turning 18 years old in 2016.

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:13 pm
I am attending Otafest Aurora 2015! Since Vic Mignogna is one of the special guests and is one of my favorite voice actors, I will be cosplaying as Zero from Vampire Knight.

Here is a sneak picture of myself testing out my Zero cosplay.

If you are attending Otafest Aurora 2015, who will you be cosplaying as for it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:59 pm
OTAFEST 2016 IS LITERALLY NEXT WEEK!!!

I will be cosplaying as:
gaia_star Thursday/Early Pick Up - swag Riku (Kingdom Hearts 2)
- I am part of a casual KH group.
gaia_star Friday - Akatsuki Itachi (Naruto and Naruto Shippuden)
- I will have a Sasuke with me.
gaia_star Saturday - Zexion (Kingdom Hearts)
- I am part of a Castle Oblivion group.
gaia_star Sunday - Master Riku in his KH2 attire (Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance)
- I am part of a KH3D : DDD/post-DDD group.

If you see me, come say 'hi'! ^_^

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:42 am
KayaLing
OTAFEST 2016 IS LITERALLY NEXT WEEK!!!

I will be cosplaying as:
gaia_star Thursday/Early Pick Up - swag Riku (Kingdom Hearts 2)
- I am part of a casual KH group.
gaia_star Friday - Akatsuki Itachi (Naruto and Naruto Shippuden)
- I will have a Sasuke with me.
gaia_star Saturday - Zexion (Kingdom Hearts)
- I am part of a Castle Oblivion group.
gaia_star Sunday - Master Riku in his KH2 attire (Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance)
- I am part of a KH3D biggrin DD/post-DDD group.

If you see me, come say 'hi'! ^_^

Kaya,

I can't wait to hear how this con goes for you. You will certainly be busy. Some day I want to cosplay Sasuke! As a Cosplay Photographer it would be cool to take photos of the groups that you are in. post pics. smile  
Canadian Conventions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff