Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
How did it Feel to Wear your first Cosplay Outfit Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:06 pm
Hello Everyone,

Here is a question that some of you can answer. How did it Feel to Wear your first Cosplay Outfit. Some of the members in this Guild have not worn their 1st Cosplay Outfit yet so if you have any advice for those newbies Please post about that as well.

When I went to my first Anime / Cosplay convention back in the fall of 2009 I felt shy and a little bit awkward at first. One of those reasons was because I was wearing a Star Trek Original Series Cosplay Outfit. I knew that many or the Cosplayers were going to be wearing Anime or Video Game related outfits. At that time I was a seasoned Convention Goer. Back in the 1990's and early 2000's I not only gone to Star Trek / Science Fiction Cons I worked at them as well. Knowing that I took my "film" camera and was ready to take photos of Cosplayers. Up to that point in time I had only seen Cosplay photos on the internet. I had a large list of Anime and Video Game cosplay characters that I wanted to see and take photos of.

What happened was amazing. I went through my first roll of film while I was still in line to register to get into the convention. What I did was check out what other people in the line that I was in were doing. When someone in the line stopped a Cosplayer walking by and asked if they could take a photo of them. I was surprised that they easily said yes and even posed for the photo. I asked right after that if I could also take a photo of them as well. To my surprise the answer was yes and I even got a similar pose from the Cosplayer. I was in awe.

Next my brother and I walked through the Convention. I had arranged ahead of time through ACParadise.com to do a mini photo shoot with a Chun-Li cosplayer. We arranged to meet each other at a Cosplay Photo booth in the Cons Artist Alley area. I was surprised when I met the really nice young lady, Samantha. Samantha was not only a Cosplayer she was a Cosplay Photographer. She was one of the photographers that ran the photo booth. I had her take photos of me wearing my Star Trek Uniform and to this day those photos that Samantha took are still the best of that first outfit. I was very happy,

During that day I felt like a celebrity because every where I turned people stopped me and asked to take my photo. Being a Photographer I'm shy about being on the other side of the camera. After 50 people took photos of me that shyness went away. I was even negotiating with the fellow cosplayers. I said sure you can take a photo of me as long as I can take a photo of you. My brother explained later on that I was popular because a few months before the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie came out. I agreed with him but felt that their was more to it. Wearing my first cosplay outfit made me feel really happy. So on that day at Youmacon 2009 I became not only a Cosplayer but also a Cosplay Photographer.

Later on in the day my brother and I got together with Samantha again. This time for the prearranged mini photo shoot of her. I was excited because it was my first cosplay photo shoot and the fact that Samantha was willing to do one without meeting me ahead of time surprised me as well. When I first met her at the photo booth Samantha was in regular "Street clothes" taking photos of Cosplayers. This time she was dressed up as one of my favorite Video Game characters, Chun-Li from the "Street Fighter" Video Games and movies.I was besides myself with her transformation. Samantha's Chun-Li Cosplay outfit was so well done that it looked like she walked right off of a Movie Set. I not only got to talk with Samantha afterwards about cosplaying, conventions, and Cosplay Photography she became my first "Cosplay Friend"!! To this day Samantha and I are still close friends and she made me feel at ease wearing my first Cosplay outfit.

That first convention experience inspired me to make 2 other cosplay outfits since then. Also I have become a Semi Pro Cosplay Photographer with all of the experience that I have had taking photos of other Cosplayers. I now have a Digital Camera to take my photos. I always get excited when someone recognizes my character when I'm wearing my Syaoran Cosplay character outfit. Syaoran is a character form one of my favorite series from a few years ago called "Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Collected Memories" Anime Series. I automatically go into character when ever I see a Princess Sakura cosplayer from the same series.

What I wrote above is my story of my first Cosplay outfit wearing experience as well as my first Cosplay Photographer experience.

I would like to hear your Stories about wearing your first Cosplay outfit. I'm sure that some of the stories out their are as exciting as mine. Also I hope that my story inspires those of you in this Guild that haven't worn a Cosplay character outfit to do so. I was easily accepted as a Cosplayer and I know you will too no matter whether it's your first time wearing an outfit or it's your 10th con and you get to show off your latest creation. I still feel the same magic of my first convention every time I go to future cons!! smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:46 pm
Ooh~ My first cosplay was Ino Yamanaka from Naruto. It was the last few days before the convention, and my mum and I were sewing and going like crazy to finish it. We went to the convention and it was awkward for me.. I felt out of place with my hand made, hand sewn cosplay.

I walked around a bit and got a few pictures taken of me which made me super happy but, I had no idea how to pose correctly so I looked a bit weird. xD But luckily I got complimented by people and got pictures of other cosplays at the con too~. Overall, for me, it made me feel excited and happy to be a part of a cosplay from a popular anime.

Now, when I go to conventions, I still feel excited and all jittery. C: I now cosplay as well as crossplay from multiple animes. This time I'm buying a Haikyuu cosplay for the first time and it isn't going to be hand made..

Anyways! I hope everyone, who's cosplaying for their first time, has a great time at the conventions and has a wonderful cosplay~ C:  

Yaoi Uke-Kun

Hygienic Smoker

5,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Hesitant Participant 100

Rawr The Kitty

Demonic Warlord

16,725 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:17 am
I'll tell you if once I do start cos-playing xp  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:08 pm
Oh goodness >x<
I remember my first cosplay ended up being John Egbert from the webcomic Homestuck. It was so much fun! When I was a newbie to cons and basically the entirety of cosplaying in general, just about everything got me excited. Seeing people in their own cosplays, seeing people dressed as characters from shows I liked, going to panels, even just buying something from the vendors got me in a good mood!
It was also fun because I remember everyone I talked to welcome me into the community with open arms.
I was particularly excited when someone asked me if they could take a picture.
I still get all happy when people ask for my picture uvu

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:50 pm
The first official "cosplay" that I wore out was Sora from Digimon. My friends and I decided to all wear cosplays to the last day of High School, so we had several Shinigami from Bleach, myself from Digimon, a few Final Fantasy characters.... It was awesome!

It didn't feel that different, though, because it wasn't uncommon for my friends and I to randomly wear costumes to school, and the fact that we now called it cosplay didn't really change the excitement and fun we had.

Now I remember the first cosplay that I wore to Fanime in stark detail. It was the first big convention that I went to, and I was the last of my friends to make it to the hotel. They jumped on me to get into my Guy Cecil from Tales of the Abyss cosplay, a game from which they were all cosplay from, too.

When I walked into the center I was blown away by the shear number of cosplayers there. Not only were there a few people like me, there were a lot of people like me: nerds who loved cosplay!

I had attended several small conventions prior to that, but this was the first time I had seen cosplayers at that scale and skill level, and it was the first time I was in a group cosplay. ToA was a fairly new game at the time, so we got a lot of attention, especially since we all stayed in character. To say the least, I was undoubtedly hooked since then!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:50 pm
Yaoi Uke-Kun
Ooh~ My first cosplay was Ino Yamanaka from Naruto. It was the last few days before the convention, and my mum and I were sewing and going like crazy to finish it. We went to the convention and it was awkward for me.. I felt out of place with my hand made, hand sewn cosplay.

I walked around a bit and got a few pictures taken of me which made me super happy but, I had no idea how to pose correctly so I looked a bit weird. xD But luckily I got complimented by people and got pictures of other cosplays at the con too~. Overall, for me, it made me feel excited and happy to be a part of a cosplay from a popular anime.

Now, when I go to conventions, I still feel excited and all jittery. C: I now cosplay as well as crossplay from multiple animes. This time I'm buying a Haikyuu cosplay for the first time and it isn't going to be hand made..

Anyways! I hope everyone, who's cosplaying for their first time, has a great time at the conventions and has a wonderful cosplay~ C:

I always get such an awesome feeling from putting on cosplay, regardless of the occasion! It's just so much fun!  

xinitia

Crew

Yaoi Uke-Kun

Hygienic Smoker

5,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Hesitant Participant 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:52 pm
Rawr The Kitty

C: Good luck and have fun cosplaying then!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 pm
Rawr The Kitty

Rawr The Kitty,

For your first Cosplay pick a character from an Anime, Video Game, or other type of series (DC, Marvel Comics, or even Disney) that you like or Love a lot!! Research your character. Figure out what you need for the outfit. If you need help please let us know. All we need to know is what character that you want to Cosplay and our wonderful Crew can help you out.

You can message me directly with your questions about creating a Cosplay outfit and then I can direct you to the appropriate Crew Member to help you out. Also you can start a thread with your question about creating a Cosplay Outfit. Then either other Guild Members or the Crew can help out. The Sub Forums that you can start your thread on with your questions is either the Tutorial Sub Forum or the Cosplay Help Sub Forum. Once your outfit is finished try it out ahead of time to see how well it fits and how easy it is to walk around wearing it.

Also if you need help making your outfit ask your friends and family for help. I asked my sister for help in creating the Cape and altering a shirt that I needed for my Syaoran Cosplay outfit. She was a God send and her help in person was very helpful and appreciated, So when you are ready to make your first Cosplay Outfit their are many sources to help you out. Then when you wear the outfit have fun doing so and remember that when you are wearing it you are honoring the character that you are portraying.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Rawr The Kitty

Demonic Warlord

16,725 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:19 am
Yaoi Uke-Kun
Rawr The Kitty

C: Good luck and have fun cosplaying then!

TY!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:21 am
smithers456
Rawr The Kitty

Rawr The Kitty,

For your first Cosplay pick a character from an Anime, Video Game, or other type of series (DC, Marvel Comics, or even Disney) that you like or Love a lot!! Research your character. Figure out what you need for the outfit. If you need help please let us know. All we need to know is what character that you want to Cosplay and our wonderful Crew can help you out.

You can message me directly with your questions about creating a Cosplay outfit and then I can direct you to the appropriate Crew Member to help you out. Also you can start a thread with your question about creating a Cosplay Outfit. Then either other Guild Members or the Crew can help out. The Sub Forums that you can start your thread on with your questions is either the Tutorial Sub Forum or the Cosplay Help Sub Forum. Once your outfit is finished try it out ahead of time to see how well it fits and how easy it is to walk around wearing it.

Also if you need help making your outfit ask your friends and family for help. I asked my sister for help in creating the Cape and altering a shirt that I needed for my Syaoran Cosplay outfit. She was a God send and her help in person was very helpful and appreciated, So when you are ready to make your first Cosplay Outfit their are many sources to help you out. Then when you wear the outfit have fun doing so and remember that when you are wearing it you are honoring the character that you are portraying.

My family would laugh at me if I ever told them I was going to cosplay, hahaha. They'd probably forbid me to go o_o'' But thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind whenever the chance comes :>  

Rawr The Kitty

Demonic Warlord

16,725 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • PvP 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:41 am
Rawr The Kitty
smithers456
Rawr The Kitty

Rawr The Kitty,

My family would laugh at me if I ever told them I was going to cosplay, hahaha. They'd probably forbid me to go o_o'' But thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind whenever the chance comes :>

This is something that I'm very familiar with. Most of the members in my family don't understand my interest in Anime and Cosplay. Since I'm 51 years old they think that it's silly for someone my age to dress up in a Cosplay Outfit. Since I live on my own with my wife Sue I can do what ever I like.

When I cosplay and go to conventions I'm easily accepted into the Anime / Cosplay community just as much as anyone else. Besides watching Anime isn't something new to me. I watched Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Dragon Ball Z when they first came out. The Sailor Moon series is now over twenty years old. I'm a very big fan of the series. If you ever have a doubt about that check out my Gaia Profile page. A Chibi of Sailor Mars my favorite Sailor Scout is all over the page. She is my Profile page's Wallpaper.

My wife doesn't like Anime but she realizes that it's good for me to have hobbies so she says it's my thing and leaves it at that. Being a fan of Anime series for over 20 years helped me to become our Guilds Vice Captain. I know a lot about past Anime series and newer ones as well. Most people in the Guild know that I'm a Cosplay Photographer. That skill has grown in leaps and bounds since 2009. My family doesn't understand that hobby either. Some say that I just like to take photos of pretty girls. Yes, I'm a guy but I treat all people with respect including young ladies, grown women,etc. You can see that in my Cosplay Photos. I treat people as people and not as objects. My camera is always on auto so that I can focus on posing and working with Cosplayers. You can tell you family when you decide to start cosplaying that you know a 51 year old guy that cosplays. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:14 am
Hot and stiff. My first cosplay was the Black Mage from Final Fantasy I at Naka Kon 2014. Some words of advice to newbies: even if a ski mask is the perfect color and would fit your cosplay perfectly it is way too hot to wear in a convention center comfortably. And if you need to use a stiff material such as cardboard or poster board and it's going to be surrounding a part of your body, make sure you have enough room to flex, move your neck, etc. My last piece of advice is that hot glue can be convenient, but it still doesn't beat sewing. Sewing is also less likely to burn you too.  

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

elfbride

Ornate Shapeshifter

6,400 Points
  • Married 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • NPCon Attendee 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:04 pm
Well, since my very first cosplay outfit was rushed... (it was my first con and i was only notified 3 days before it actually started) I think I'm going to talk about my actual first outfit that tried on. I believe I was cosplaying Kaneki ken!
It was kind of my own design of him, he was in midway "transformation" to shironeki and honestly I felt so accomplished! The wig was the best part to me, seeing as how i spent two days on it. (the two days were right before the con!) I felt great and like I had the best cosplay lmao
I still feel like it was a good idea and plan to revamp it someday, properly dying half the wig instead of using a last-minute spray from the halloween store like i did. I also look back on it and feel the makeup was terrible! But then again, i was just a beginner!
here are some pictures of the ol' thing!
img 1img 2  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:35 am
princeliy
Well, since my very first cosplay outfit was rushed... (it was my first con and i was only notified 3 days before it actually started) I think I'm going to talk about my actual first outfit that tried on. I believe I was cosplaying Kaneki ken!
It was kind of my own design of him, he was in midway "transformatio

n" to shironeki and honestly I felt so accomplished! The wig was the best part to me, seeing as how i spent two days on it. (the two days were right before the con!) I felt great and like I had the best cosplay lmao
I still feel like it was a good idea and plan to revamp it someday, properly dying half the wig instead of using a last-minute spray from the halloween store like i did. I also look back on it and feel the makeup was terrible! But then again, i was just a beginner!
here are some pictures of the ol' thing!
img 1img 2

Thanks for sharing your story. I currently have three Cosplay Outfits. 1. My Original Star Trek series one (Created it many years ago), 2. My Celtic Cleric Dungeon and Dragons Outfit (I Altered a Halloween Costume for that one), and 3. Syaoran (It took a year to gather everthing needed for the outfit plus I needed help making a cape and special shirt - My sister came to my rescue). My Avi is currently dressed up as Syaoran. You can see photos of all three outfits on the "My Cosplays" Gallery on my Deviant Art page. Their is a link to my page in my Gaia signature.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 pm
Wearing my first cosplay was exciting! I did Matryoshka Meiko. It was a closet cosplay and most of it was borrowed since I had never done something like it befiore. Here it is:
User Image

-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces