Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands [IC]
[FIN] Darkness (Ukarimu & Gealach Scath)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:50 pm
User Image

It was dark at night.

Which was kind of a stupid thing to think, but it was. Sometimes Gealach slept outside just to feel the sun's heat on his fur. It made him nostalgic for being able to doze in the sunlight, even though he'd slept at night as a cub. Being awake all night still felt odd, as if he was doing something forbidden.

Was it bad that he had trouble thinking of himself as an adult and functioning member of the pride? He still lived in his parents' den half the time too, regardless of what his brothers did or didn't do.

At least they didn't change, no matter what happened in the pride.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:10 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"Gealach? Something wrong?"

Ukarimu stretched as he approached his son, feeling the bit of aches and pains that getting older brought him. He knew he wasn't old, but he certainly wasn't as nimble and immune to small pains like he used to be. Part of that really made him realize how things change over time, and it turn it made him worry more about the future now than even when his sons were first born. Unsettling times in the pride certainly elevated his concerns, but it was an odd feeling, adjusting to these 'unsettling times' to find them awkward and tense, but otherwise unchanging as they had been lately.

"Want to talk about something?" Ukarimu may be overreacting, buuut that's what dads were there for, right? He didn't know his own father, but he figured he was doing a good enough job, regardless.

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:15 pm
"Huh? Uh, nothing, Dad," Gealach answered out of habit. No, he wasn't hungry, ill, or dying. He wasn't seeing anybody romantically, at least, not since that encounter a couple years ago. He was a Lord and so didn't have many responsibilities in the pride...so there was nothing. Nothing to go right or wrong. He just was.

"I don't know," he replied. "Do you miss the sun?" It was a strange question, he supposed. He knew the sun wasn't gone, but the fact that he wasn't encouraged to see it hurt.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 pm
Ukarumi laughed. At least it wasn't anything heavy-handed that was bothering his son. It wasn't a simple matter, but it was simpler than it could have been.

"Honestly? I do. I lived in the sun until I met your mother. I wouldn't say that I've turned away from it completely. If I wake up early enough, I'll enjoy a bit of the warmth it brings before the Moon rises to watch over us." He sad down near Gealach, a relaxed manner settling over his frame.

"I sense that you do, and are conflicted about it."

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:41 pm
Gealach pondered that. He was glad he wasn't the only one, but he wasn't sure what his Dad's comment about his Mom meant. And he wasn't sure that his Dad had really addressed the problem.

"Yeah, I can see the sun now and then, but it's not the same. Now I don't always see it when before I'd be in it every day," the younger lion stumbled over his words, trying to explain. He wasn't very good at it.

"What does Mom have to do with you not seeing the sun?" Gealach asked, trying to avoid his own awkwardness.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:51 pm
"I wasn't born here like you. I lived with my mother and sister out in open lands, so we were usually out in the daylight all the time. When I decided to stay here and be with your mother, I had to also change my own sleeping patterns and whatnot, limiting how much I see the sun myself. Does that...make sense?"

He didn't like to talk about his younger years as much, if only because he had no idea what happened to his mother or sister. Having his own family near him now definitely helped with those old worrying feelings.

"Is it the warmth you miss? Or just the brightness that covered everything you see?"

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:54 pm
Gealach had never thought about relatives through his dad, so the revelation that such people existed was completely unexpected. Oh sure, he knew he had relatives, he was related to most of the pride it seemed, but he'd never really thought about the fact that none of those people shared blood with his dad. This strange new information overwhelmed Ukarimu's words about seeing the sun, and his questions about what it was that the boy truly missed.

"I have an aunt and a grandmother outside of the pride? Why don't they visit? Or did they come during the daytime when nobody's awake?"

Gealach was not the most focused individual in the world, especially if he could avoid looking like a failure of a lion by changing the subject.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:12 pm
"I....have lost contact with them, and I don't know where they are." Ukarumi's ears flattened against his head as he sighed, looking down at the dark ground. "I suppose I could attempt something, but I'm not sure where to start. I'd have to depend on a bird, probably....but I don't know. Life outside the pride isn't very easy, even with the tension that exists within Mwezi'johari."

Ukarimu hadn't expected to share so much of himself to his son, but it was probably for the best that he share it himself. "Do you have...any other questions about them? I'll answer what I can remember."

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:22 pm
"Oh, I see," the younger lion replied. He did, kind of. Things were so tense, nobody wanted to draw any attention to themselves if they didn't have to. And his mom wasn't exactly in the safest of ranks, which could sometimes splash on her family. His dad more than him, but he was still related.

"No, I don't think I have any other questions," Gealach added in answer to his father's query. Which actually meant "Yes I have so many more questions but I would never ever ask any of them for fear of being seen as a completely moronic idiot and because you're my father and that would just be awkward in multiple sense of the word."

Having family was kind of tough, sometimes. So was being an adult. You were supposed to be able to rely on your parents, but there was always a point where you simply couldn't ask questions anymore.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:30 pm
Ukarimu wasn't totally sure if Gealach was being honest with him and himself, but the older lion wasn't going to pursue it at this very moment. "Well, don't be afraid to ask if you ever do have more questions. I don't mind talking about it."

"Anyway, don't stress yourself out too much about the night. You'll adjust....or maybe you'll be one of those who always wakes up a bit early to enjoy the sunset. I don't see anything wrong about that, as long as you pay your respect to the Great Lion."

Hopefully he felt a bit better...Ukarimu certainly knew that he would always be there for his kid, grown up or not!

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas