Welcome to Gaia! ::

Team Snagem: A Pokemon RP

Back to Guilds

A Pokemon Roleplaying Guild offering a wide variety of features and characters. 

Tags: Gijinka, Snagem, Pokemon, Literate, Roleplay 

Reply Chat Board (for all your OOC needs)
Calling All Trainers! (Tourney Discussion) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When should we hold the next tourney following the Kanto Cup?
  August 15: Three months after the Kanto Cup begins
  Three months after the Kanto Cup concludes, likely August/September
View Results

Darksol88
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:35 pm
Hey there! Don't worry, this isn't anything quite as big as before, but we'd like to start having more tourneys. Big ones, small ones, maybe some with rulesets that haven't been touched on before in our history. Consider this one of possibly many ways for us to celebrate the series hitting its 20th anniversary. But on to the point: We're thinking of, at the least, having a tourney during spring break, though looking at the dates, this may be shorter notice than we'd like.

Apart from that tourney, there's been a few ideas given. Stuff like a tourney based on the Kanto Classic that's happening soon on the Global Link, or a Monotype where a team's made using a given type. Just as important, how frequently we should something like this, and what games to stick by for them. There's a lot of good arguments for all sorts of possibilities, I'm sure, so let's open up a discussion.

To summarize:

1. When should we have a new tourney? As mentioned, we're thinking of one on spring break, but that starts on March 12th on average. This might be way too short a notice for some, so there'll be a poll up for this one.

2. How frequently should we do them, apart from the one in planning? We don't have to do just one tourney a year, and it'd be nice to do these more often, especially with the series anniversary in mind and Sun/Moon coming out later this year. They don't have to be big affairs either.

3. What kind of formats? There's a ton out there, and I don't just mean the battling formats of Single/Double/Triple/Rotation. There's special rulesets we could try, themes we could throw in for different changes of pace, and I'm pretty sure 4-player battles are possible over WiFi. Stuff like this would be interesting to do, if others are interested as well.

4. What games? Obviously, we're going to be using Gen 6 currently, but there are differences between using X/Y and OR/AS or just sticking to OR/AS. The former does allow more people to participate, but personal observation has shown that most do have the newer games. Obviously Sun and Moon will be added to this once they're out, but that's a conversation for a later time.

Please, give any input that comes to mind. Thoughts and questions are welcome as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:12 pm
Personally I am unsure on when, would rather hear input from others before I consider that. As for formats I am all for at least a Kanto Classic format, on top of anything else, maybe even monotype. I personally prefer singles in general but maybe a monotype rotation could be interesting. As for games I still say X/Y and OR/AS, the entire Gen 6.  

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

Tsuki the Fated Wind

Predestined Winner

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:24 pm
Man, I think I would love a Kanto Classic thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 am
Wouldn't mind another tourney. Would prefer OR/AS as the game of choice, single battle as well.

But I do have a rather ambitious idea as well. How about a Tournament of Regions? 6 unique tournaments and the restriction is that you can only use the pokemon from the regional pokedex of the region. It would prove quite the challenge and can be drawn out over time.

Now, I will say this right here: This is just an idea.  

RCCaughtem

Interesting Guildsman

5,200 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Married 100
  • Citizen 200

Darksol88
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:26 pm
That'd pretty much be what the Kanto Classic's doing. They're only allowing the first 149, banning Mewtwo and Mew. But, one slight hiccup in that is the regional Pokedex often allows older mons in the newer generations. Black/White were the only ones to exclusively use their generation's Pokemon for the regional dex.

That all said, it'd be easy enough to emulate, though perhaps as an "only Pokemon introduced in this region" deal instead to further drive the point of what that idea would ideally be. Rules apart from that would probably vary; the Kanto Classic disallows items entirely to better emulate Gen 1 mechanics within Gen 6's flavor, but that wouldn't work so well for the rest. And disallowing Mega Evolutions would mean banning them for all six of those tourneys. Or maybe allowing them for Gen 3's due to OR/AS.

That said, it wouldn't necessarily be hard to do, and chances are we'd use full teams of six no matter what we do. But I wouldn't mind doing stuff that isn't just single battles since they can admittedly get stale after a while.

Also, another idea presented to us Admins: What would everyone think of doing bi-monthly tourneys? A two month gap between them would give people a decent chance to prepare for it if they want to participate, and give plenty of time to iron out a format for the tourney without having to rush. Or, if that's too soon, perhaps once a quarter (every three months)?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:13 pm
I like the idea of multiple tourneys throughout the year. Especially the Kanto Classic idea. I wouldn't mind a Little Cup again, either.  

Requiem of Whyspers

Fashionable Shapeshifter

Darksol88
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:47 pm
Just to make it known, I am putting everything in here into a document for easy access, plus to see what ideas get formed here. At any rate, I'm seeing that the Kanto Classic's ruleset seems to be a popular idea, so we may be doing just that for our next tourney. That said, a few more ideas have been presented in light of that possibility, such as allowing items where the official one does not, with the exception of Mega Stones as they didn't exist at the time. Granted, neither did held items or abilities, but the latter's unavoidable and the former allows for more flexibility than the official format does.

As for a Little Cup tourney, I will say this much: I like the format personally, but the last time we attempted it, it didn't have much popularity and was ultimately cancelled. Though the cancellation was on me due to actually forgetting about it until nearly a week after it was supposed to start, the low turnout it would've had didn't help matters. If there's more support for it, though, we'll likely give it another shot.

Apart from that, thoughts on when we should hold the next tourney, regardless of the format we decide on, seem to be a bit even. A few more votes and thoughts would be more than welcome on that front, as well as the frequency for doing these in general.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:43 pm
I've already mentioned this idea to some people, but I'll also put it here, for general consideration: a Snagem Character Tournament.

The idea is for each member of Snagem to select one of their characters, and build a team using pokemon that are owned by that character. Certain allowances can made regarding the evolutionary status of your pokemon. For example: if your character has a Charmander, you are allowed to use a Charizard. Also, if your character does not have a full six pokemon for a team, you are allowed to select other pokemon to fill out the roster. However, those pokemon should be thematic with your character, and you can only do this if your character has not captured up to six pokemon. Otherwise, you have to use your character's captured pokemon.

Format wise, it would probably be a singles match. I'm not sure if legends would need to be banned. I know that a fair number of character's in Snagem have legendary pokemon, so we might want to allow those. Or not. Again, this is just me pitching an idea. Feedback is appreciated.  

Isaac Hawking

Tsuki the Fated Wind

Predestined Winner

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:42 pm
Isaac Hawking
I've already mentioned this idea to some people, but I'll also put it here, for general consideration: a Snagem Character Tournament.

The idea is for each member of Snagem to select one of their characters, and build a team using pokemon that are owned by that character. Certain allowances can made regarding the evolutionary status of your pokemon. For example: if your character has a Charmander, you are allowed to use a Charizard. Also, if your character does not have a full six pokemon for a team, you are allowed to select other pokemon to fill out the roster. However, those pokemon should be thematic with your character, and you can only do this if your character has not captured up to six pokemon. Otherwise, you have to use your character's captured pokemon.

Format wise, it would probably be a singles match. I'm not sure if legends would need to be banned. I know that a fair number of character's in Snagem have legendary pokemon, so we might want to allow those. Or not. Again, this is just me pitching an idea. Feedback is appreciated.

I take back what I said.

I like this.

I like this a lot.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:11 pm
Tsuki the Fated Wind
Isaac Hawking

I take back what I said.

I like this.

I like this a lot.

I still think if we're going to do this it should be monotype, everyone picks their favorite type simply because people don't have the in-guild Pokemon to do it. Otherwise we're going to need to find a way to let people catch the Pokemon they want to a certain extant rather quickly.  

Atlantis_Darts
Crew

Darksol88
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:38 pm
To be honest, I'm still not entirely sold on that idea, if only because of the fact that you're absolutely restricted if you have at least six. Especially since this means issues like Sub potentially having a mudhole stomped into his team due to having almost exclusively Dark types, or a team based on Amaranth's Pokemon would basically be the "Push A to Win" team because she has a Kangaskhan. And before the possible argument of "the member must also have the Mega Stone in the RP", um, no. If someone who only has a Charmander gets to have a Charizard, then they can have access to Mega Evolution too.

I am, however, with Darts in that we'd ideally want some opportunities to get more Pokemon leading up to the tourney. At least a few Safari Contests, if nothing else. Also, another idea that was brought up, though one that'd be well in the future as it'd require a ton of work to pull off and I'm not completely certain on how to pull it off, but perhaps a somewhat "random" or Battle Factory-esque "rental" tourney could be a thought, where participants could either choose from a pool of pre-made Pokemon or build a team based on a set of rolls within the National Pokedex's current count (as of X/Y)?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:42 pm
Oh, and a quick announcement for our next tourney: Given the popularity of the Kanto Classic format, we will be using that for our next tourney, to be held on May 14th! More details will be posted soon, but please, keep the discussion going. The more ideas, the better.  

Darksol88
Vice Captain

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:43 pm
I'm making a quick post here at work (don't expect this to happen much, if ever again) while I got a lull in the work load and I managed to check in and remember that hey, this thread is a thing, and for that matter I still got a functioning brain cell.

Ok, first off the idea of using member's character's Pokemon only. If that was implemented, congratulations, you just essentially told me to go on as normal then. My main character's Pokemon, despite boasting his affinity towards Ice types, if no one had noticed, are comprised of quite the few favorites that has been accumulated over the years, ones that I got that soft spot for, for better or for worse. Gallade, Gardevoir, Scizor...hell, let's not even bring up Porygon-Z, as many can attest to. One may argue "not everyone has just one single character, you for example have Tristen and Freth". Ok, true, but that in turn would be a case of being forced into a set (in both cases) and in Freth's case, sans a Kadabra, she's primarily Ice type focused which leads to idea number 2...

The monotype team I have a hard time backing as well, because again, forced selection. While I would love to have a solo Ice type team, I know it's the next thing to foolhardy in many aspects. I kept musing on that and the more that I think on it, the worse off it sounds, which is sad for someone who tries to defend the type itself. To take the ice type example, Ice Types alone have Fighting, Rock, Steel, and Fire type weaknesses. Weakness further exacerbated by most of them being dual typed in one regard or another. Abomasnow x4 Fire, Weavile x4 fighting, Articuno x4 rock, for examples and that's not taking in consideration those secondary types are weak to (Abomasnow to Bug and Flying and loses Ice Resist, Weavile to Bug, Articuno to Electric and loses Ice resist for example). And let's not even get into how seemingly half the Ice types available are Water/Ice. Keep in mind, this is also providing that we bother using Legendaries in the first place. To refresh someone's memory, what does the Ice type have? We got Articuno that, as much as I really loathe to say it, has been getting the shaft since Gen 1, we got Regice with a movepool more barren in my opinion than the Hoenn Desert, then finally...a diseased looking dragon that is Kyurem only helped by the likes of fusing it to Reshiram and Zekrom, which would make it virtually a crutch in a ice team, which I can't bring myself to do. Speaking of crutches, there's also (possibly abusing loopholes) Ice Plate carrying Arceus, which I'm having my doubts everyone on this team has on hand from any prior events. Fights will more than likely be determined by just mere overwhelming type advantages than any sort of strategy going into anything. As Sol aptly put it in one post "press A to win". Its almost like you're forced to stick to either Psychic, Fairy, Electric, Normal, or Steel for that tourney just to have a chance. Not exactly diverse.

Now, that's my two cents on the matter and feel free to counterpoint all you like and while you're at it, I'll throw a couple more for ideas to toss in. For one, thing I noticed is that we have been sticking to primarily singles and doubles fights. More so Singles, mind, but I digress. I wouldn't mind seeing, for the hell of it, a Triples team because I KNOW we haven't done one at all. What kind of format within it, well, that's up for discussion. And we have only done ONE Rotation fight as long as it has been around, and that was back when Gen 5 first started, and I actually had quite a lot of fun with that one. So...comments?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:27 pm
I wouldn't mind a triples or rotation tourney. I say we set up a triples tourney as well, since we've never done it. I don't think I've even participated in a triple battle now that I think about it...against another person, that is.  

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

Darksol88
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:16 pm
I can't say I have either, so it'd be an interesting thing to try out. Not to mention, we have at least four formats, if not five, while really only using one. Which, on that note, I wouldn't mind trying to do 4-player battles, with a team of two against another team of two. Assuming it can be done over wifi, that is. We'll likely have an actual schedule made before long once we've got more ironed out.

That all said, what would everyone like to see for the tourney after the one we'll be doing in May? It'd be good to have these planned out in advance, especially if we're going to be doing these more frequently.  
Chat Board (for all your OOC needs)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff