Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:27 pm
To say that this place was different from Ashdown was a vast understatement. Aside from being the big apple, not even close to the same year, and that magic was just something either no one talked about or no one really minded was all sorts of confusing.

For one thing learning how to turn off a light that was not plugged in was in itself a challenge. Mostly as Marcus hadn't wanted to ask the Imam about it for fear he was mistaken, or, it was due to him or who knew what. But what Marcus did figure having met with Zac was that they, those of Ashdown, were singularities. Misplaced persons who would be holding up masks to blend in to a crowd.

Thankfully, Zac had been smart, leaving behind a card and a way to track him down. One visit later, and they had a time and place. A small dive of a deli, sequestered off from the bulk of the city's eyes, and better or worse, from police and certain less than savory groups.

Waiting at the door for Zac to arrive, Marcus flipped through the news paper, trying to decipher what was so special about this New York.
endejester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:40 pm
“Sir!” Zac said as he caught sight of the familiar face, he then had to hope it was the right person, because he’d learned that someone of his own name was in this era, and… Temprerance too.

“N-nice change of weather isn’t it?” He said remembering what Marcus had tried when they were around that fountain. He wasn’t going to say more till he was utterly sure he had the right person, not when … well not when Liam had addressed what he was fairly sure was actually Temperance from their own era.

iStoleYurVamps

endejester
Crew

Feral Cat

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:55 pm
He looked up at the inquiry, eyes widening as Zac appeared. Paper quickly folded with a crinkle, Marcus didn't miss the repeat of what he'd said at the gathering.
"Oh yes. It's a bit muggy and has the stench of the city, but, hopefully things will go back to normal soon enough." Shoulders and posture visibly relaxed with the small confirmation that the Zac he was speaking with was the correct Zac and that no, looking behind him, he was not followed.

"Shall we head in? They have decent subs and the coffee is dark. Also won't bother us provided we aren't too loud. They also have a jukebox!" He looked pleased with that fact.
"It runs though I don't think it's plugged into anything now that I think about it." Holding open the door, Marcus hoped Zac had better leads than he did. So far it was just a lot of adjusting.

endejester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:03 pm
Zac’s shoulders actually sagged in relief. “Oh thank heavens.” He said quietly. “I… in the park, That was Mister Noor!” He said almost urgently as they moved inside. “I was such a fool, I walked up and said he looked familiar, and he said I did too and….” He waved his hands. “… oh yes…coffee.” He said blinking as he settled back into ‘oh yes behaving like a rational human’.

“I don’t normally drink coffee, but I think I can make an exception. Are you doing all right? I’ve not really had a chance to follow up with others just yet. I found a … well a job and a place to stay.

iStoleYurVamps

endejester
Crew

Feral Cat

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:48 pm
Marcus laughed inside his mouth briefly at the outburst. Maybe it was because he was used to keeping a straight face in public, or maybe it was because he lived in a perpetual state of paranoia that he was just used to acting in a way to avoid people's notice.

The fact that he wasn't the only one looking over his shoulder was a nice change of pace for once.

"I'm glad you found work and a place to stay we're not-" He looked at Zac then at their skin. They were not at a great advantage here. He kept his voice low,
"We're not at a place that is inherently kind as what we're used to. If anything I'm just glad it's not later. That would have been worse in some ways if it was analogous to what we know." A post 9/11 world and he might as well be hiding in a dumpster.

It was a casual dive, self seating. The waitress was dressed in comically classic attire and busy chatting up the cook not even making eye contact. It suited Marcus just fine.

"I'm doing well enough. A local Imam is helping me get settled and one of his devout has been kind enough to give me temp work. Being fluent in English without an accent has never been more helpful in my life." That said, he picked up a menu figuring that they might as well get to the crux of the matter.

"I've never met Noor personally. I know of him, but nothing past that. Same with his partner. Rumors about them sure, but its like ghosts." He looked over the menu at Zac.
"Hearing is one thing, but evidence is another. I lack in both."

endejester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:24 pm
“Yeah….” Zac said softly… his eyes dropping at the reminder that the era they stood in was not as kind as what they were accustomed to. “I admit after I thought about it, I was surprised too, I think the only talent I still seem to have came in handy though.”

He took a breath and let it out.

“I can tell you what I know.” He offered. “I swear I will try and keep it unbiased. It wouldn’t be fair of me to shove my feelings down your throat, though I may without intention.” He admitted.

After all, emotions were something that crept in at the edges; it was hard to help that.

iStoleYurVamps

endejester
Crew

Feral Cat

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:35 pm
There was a hum and a nod- Marcus figured they had been lucky. He was just glad that everyone seemed more or less whole. "We all have our skills and this isn't a time to keep them hidden. Not for me anyway." Marcus's skills involved being able to translate, flip eggs in a pan, and balance a pen on his nose. Very good skills.

"I appreciate it by the way. Meeting me like this and agreeing to uh, talk. It's a whole mess of a situation really." Eyes scanned the menu, thinking that it was probably best to order a burger.
"Keep it sparks notes or not. Emotions and bias are in our nature so I can't just expect you to not have them. Really, any information we can share and glean would be good."

He looked at the menu again. "I'll pay by the way, so order whatever you like."

endejester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:45 pm
He swallowed hard, and nodded.

He gave Marcus what he knew – that Liam had called himself the last Scion of the Shore line, that Sunny was his ‘Daughter’ – though how she’d come about and what that meant he didn’t know.
That he was married to Renard, that Renard was as best he knew, the enemy, and therefor what the cage had been holding back.
He gave him a run down on the paintings in the Shore house, the one that looked like him, the one of Sunday, the one that looked like Jerimiah, none of them matched this era though, but he gave what he could of the ‘mysterious death’ of the ‘Jerimiah’, and the fact it seemed he never existed, at least by that name.

He gave him a run down of the Séance as well, at least in that perhaps they should be careful with the name, and how she had said that ‘nothing was inevitable’. Somehow he felt that applied here even though they were told it wouldn’t impact things.

Honestly he wasn’t sure that they hadn’t already.

He hadn’t seen Shun, or else he might have mentioned more about Heliodora, just to see if he couldn’t have one more person on his side that might be opposed to cutting throats. Instead he just made sure Marcus knew she was ‘gone’, at least in the iteration of the world they were accustomed to.

“I’m… probably forgetting something, I hope I’m not but… It’s just me. I have a journal of sorts, it’s been following me around Id swear but it’s a lot of reading.”

iStoleYurVamps

endejester
Crew

Feral Cat

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm
"Always did find it odd. The whole Shore house and those connected to it. Figured it was connected to top brass experimental housing or something."
His hand waved it off and he regret it, the waitress seeing it and going to get what looked like water for them.

"Most of what I know are rumors. Typically unfounded, snippets of things on boards from speculations. Not related to any one thing but more like... 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon. I try to stay out of the way, not be noticed. Not just by people but by other things. Used to think it all was in my head but.. it's not. After the events of the party I admit I was... shocked to see them so willing to out themselves, to flaunt their status." The waitress came by and Marcus polite said he needed a few more minutes, which seemed to placate the waitress who went back to talking to the cook.

"They're confident. What we saw at the party made me realize that. Noor, Laroux, and the lot of them. Who or what they are is confident in the actions currently being taken both for and against them. Watching just the.. grand event made me understand that we are pawns to them. a means to and end."

He folded the menu and set it down.
"Thinking about that fiasco made me change my mind. Salad seems better than a burger now."

endejester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:14 pm
“I… I sort of wonder if they weren’t confident because while the cage, in theory kept us from finding them, or hurting them, it also, bound what they could do.” He rubbed at his neck. “So maybe they are so powerful now it’s harder to do anything. But… at the same time they were human at one time or another, and it seems like they might be nobles or things.

“Try um, something with potatoes, I doubt they have much tofu, but potatoes at least have good nutrients.”

He rubbed his eyes and then added. “… Sunny wanted all the people that are dead now, Heliodora and the rest, she wanted them brought back to Ashdown. I like to think that would have made a difference but, I can’t prove that now. I just hope we don’t end up with more dead, just because we didn’t… live with them so directly it doesn’t mean…” He sighed.

“Sorry… I’m being preachy. People are doing what they believe and I get that, I just don’t … yes.”

iStoleYurVamps

endejester
Crew

Feral Cat

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:59 pm
Marcus looked at Zac, blinked as if registering something, then he frowned. Zac was younger than him and it was a lot for anyone to take in. Hell, Marcus had problems, but people like Zac didn't deserve to be burdened. It irked Marcus like a bad scratch. If it itched you had to leave it alone, lest you make it worse.

"The question we should ask is what precisely, is the role Sunny plays in my mind." The waitress returned and Marcus smiled, ordering himself the house salad and a coke. She stayed for Zac order then left once more.

Hands folded on the table, Marcus leaned back on the seat, eyes looking out the cafe of the cafe. The city on the surface, the first glance normal. But the lights, the small things at the Mosque, bells that rang on their own; They added up. This was like what he imagined things in Ashdown would be if magic was a part of it.

"Lingering on what ifs distract, and no, I don't mind preachy. I'm used to it from others. You're fine." He gave a shrug.
"Right now, I think what it all points to is gathering what we know. We know they are powerful, and we were brought here, to this place this moment for a reason. Why is that? We could-" He looked around, "-Let me be frank, we could buy a gun, shoot them, and I doubt police would look too deep. But why? What would that solve? What would end and change? The cage sealed us all. So that makes me wonder." Nearby the jukebox changed disks, the plug far from the wall.

"Is this what could be? Or is this what once was? And why then did Sunny seem to be the 'end'?"
endejester

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 am
“They don’t always distract, sometimes you see what you missed. I think we missed a great deal before.” He said firmly. He might be young but he wasn’t a ‘kid’, not by a long shot. Not anymore.

“No guns, no knives, no killing unless we are beyond positive that’s what we have to do. Just because she said we have no impact – I mean its pretty clear we do, it just may not be memorable once we leave. But we have an impact. We have jobs and …”

He stopped, leaning back in his chair thinking.

“And I think you may be right. I think this may be the – the beginning. I mean it’s a stretch but, it’s something we should all be careful of. If we mess things up too much we might mess ourselves up too if you get my meaning. But get this… “

He spread his hands and leaned forward again over the table.

“Back, when this all started for me, I was doing some research, I mean who wouldn’t … but I have a knack for it. Anyhow, I found a book, and it had this engraving, it was just titled ‘Indian Girl’ – so imagine how old it was. But more than that, it was Sunny.”

He stared at Marcus to see if he was catching what he was trying to connect here.

“What if… I mean, It’s so magic here, so much. Imagine this is what the world is supposed to be, or close to it. At the Séance, Liam said that, he said something about trying to save people I think. The ghost, she seemed fond of him, I think he tried to save her and failed. Maybe it was the same with Renard, I mean what if Renard is just the enemy because he was the focus. Back when it started it got mentioned that he was a man afraid to die, what if they saw someone die and they tried to make it so… so that… “

He stopped again and swallowed hard.

“… I wonder if they made the Court… I’m not sure. I just… I have too many thoughts right now and it’s probably all s**t but I don’t think I can get it all out of my head and have it make sense. I’ll try though maybe. If… If you don’t think its foolish.”

The idea that so much of what he’d been reading might suddenly be showing a definitive pattern, was enough to leave him stunned.

iStoleYurVamps

endejester
Crew

Feral Cat

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:07 pm
"No s**t." He took a drink of the water and a breath. It was a lot to parse, even on a basic scale. He listened, eyes focused on Zac, leaning just a bit closer.

Information, no matter it's source, it's credibility, was information. Details came after. The more Zac talked the more Marcus started to smile. Now this? Theories and conspiracies and possible red herrings? This was Marcus's bread and butter. This was familiar.

"If magic can do this, why can't magic do that?" He made it a rhetorical question. "That seems to be what we're getting at here. If what you said is fact then we have a basic hypothesis. People die- that is a fact. But if magic can change a person's state, change time, as we human have constructed it- why then would death be so immutable? We already know that it is simply a state of being. Encountered enough ghosts to validate that."

He pulled out a pen and notebook, one filled with pages and page of tiny nonsensical notes.
"Time is a human construct of measurement of change as we perceive it. Death is defined as when our physical bodies can no longer sustain us. Life however- what do we define as life then? A soul?" He began to list words. Life, Death. Time and Perception.

"To cheat death- that would not necessarily mean life. Ghosts have will and thought. They can interact in certain ways with those in physical bodies. Perhaps-" he tapped the pen on his lip.

"If he was a man afraid to die- what was it about death that made him afraid? Death if we define it as a point when our body can no longer support us- then a conclusion one might draw is that it's not death you have to manipulate." He sighed.

"It could be time. Humans are as far as we know, beings that have a measurement of change. Most others I have met don't seem to share our perception of time." The pen tapped at the notebook. "At best can can conclude is vague hypothesizes. But there is also another route."

He smiled. "One which we know is possible. You change what you are and stop being human."
endejester
who signed up for crazy hour: Marcus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:58 am
“We did see a ghost, or rather we were all briefly possessed by one. Notably, it happened outside of Ashdown, much the same way we are outside of Ashdown now.”

He worried his lip. “If this is the start of things, we saw Mister Noor at an… Act Out demonstration. That’s important, that’s – that’s a lot of death. If you were going to be made afraid of it, this is a heck of an era to start. Imagine then, the thing that … that made the situation we are in now was an attempt not to change the state of things” He shook his head.

“Not like… becoming one of those damned Nobles, not like changing into an animal or seeing through their eyes. But what if the attempt, the thing that couldn’t be done, was that they tried to make sure someone, Renard, couldn’t die, could never die. I mean…. It’s all very chicken and the egg.”

He rubbed at his temples feeling a headache beginning behind his eyes.

“But… if they tried to make it so death didn’t happen, if they … oh god.” He whispered
“…if they tried to pull so much magic that they nearly destroyed the world, but if it instead… if it was so concentrated it became…”

“Oh god, we need to fix the rifts but we’re going to have to be so careful. Sunny… Sunny is my friend but what if she’s the magic they used together. I mean. They call her their daughter, she’s the child of… oh my god.” He groaned and rested his head in his hands for a moment.

“We’re going to mess this up. I don’t even know where more than half of us are. I don’t know what they are doing, we can’t even talk to them…”

iStoleYurVamps
Zac hasn't any optimism left sorry XD

endejester
Crew

Feral Cat

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:14 pm
"That sounds unpleasant." Possession could happen? Marcus figured he'd go find a talisman then. And maybe take up the Imam on being more ardent in prayer.

"What came before the chicken and the egg would be a very simplistic life form on a cellular level." Marcus dully stated. "I'd say fish but, then we'd get into semantics of fish or egg. But I know what you mean."
That was debatable in itself.

"Zac." Marcus said, his voice punctuated. "It won't help you to panic or stress. Mistakes are in the nature of being human. We move forward. You wish to save Sunny, your friend." He closed his eyes, thinking how to say it.
"For now--" There wasn't a polite way to say it.
"Separate the person that was Sunny and the being that is Sunny. As of right now, we work with what we know. We know we are limited here. Our disadvantage must become our advantage. We are only as powerless as we make ourselves and that's why- Oh look food's here." He nodded his thanks to the waitress, taking his time to mix the salad a bit more.

"I do not remember a great deal of things about myself; I'm paranoid and prone to tangents. But I'm good at watching. At staying out of the way. People do not think that the local conspiracy theorist is someone who's good at keeping secrets, but I do." He shrugged, gathering a sizable forkful of greens.

"Just so, It's also possible that Sunny is a being can change unlike the rest of us. That in being the tool, the catalyst of another, she can change. She can be more than just that. They call her their daughter yet I've not once heard of them as a family with affection; you call her a friend. To go from a daughter, a stranger to a friend. That is a change. She is a person. She is a being we do not control. Saving her can have many meanings." He took a bite, chewed, swallowed.

"The point I'm trying to make is this. She is not something we should dictate without her choice. As a person or as a being. At the end, she is a part of a whole. She will act as she will act. We must act from what we know. So we'll gather information. We'll fight for each other, look and watch and listen to what others would dismiss. Magic like this." His fork was spun around.
"We can stress forever over what we lack. But no matter what Zac, we move forward and when the time comes we act. We hesitated at the court, and we saw the results of the hesitation."

Chaos.
"I want to live and not be afraid of tomorrow. To live with the unknown at my door step. I want people to be safe. That's really, all I can ask for."

endejester

ashdown

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces