Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
When the teachers of schools 'txt tlk'... Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wrong?
  Yeah.
View Results

Dark Master Pineapple

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:30 pm
NO!!!! NO!!!!

Okay, so I'm a 6th grader, 12 years old, yadda yadda yadda. My classroom is a technology testing class, and we have a huge smart board--a huge computer that is wounted on a wall that has special markers to be used for writing in WP documents and on websites, hypothetically. Anyway, so we were taking notes on these really sucky fantasy books, and my teacher was giving an example ont he smart board, with 'txt tlk'. I'll go cry somewhere now.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:41 pm
I am sorry you had to see that coming from a person that took college for about 4-5 years. My teacher tells us that we can write in txt tlk. I think I am almost the only one that does not write reports like this "I l1k3 t0 wri73 lik3 7hi5". The bad part is my teacher allows it and we are in 8th grade. The kids at my school should learn proper grammar. When I start talking to a kid about the way he talks, he makes fun of me for not talking/writing that way. I end up getting in trouble for calling them a ******** noob.  

The Demonic Dork

CrzyLuGirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:58 pm
Teachers think they're so cool because they know text talk. Jeez, it pisses me off. Our school has a policy against it, though. No one may text talk at all. Thank the powers that be.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:26 pm
So, someone who should be teaching you how to read and write is using text talk in front of his students? How ironic and sad.  

lola_siannodel

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:35 pm
At my school, we have a fairly new school intranet system where teachers and students can post messages. In economics we are starting to use this system to have online lessons, and some of my classmates type shortcuts (not as bad as "I l1k3 t0 wri73 lik3 7hi5", just shortcuts), and the teacher said something to the effect of "looks like I'll have to learn SMS speak to understand you". Now in my opinion even that is bad. The students should just type normally. As for myself, of course I type in English.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:36 pm
Ugh, I find this completely ridiculous! New Speak, anyone? Seriously, this is going to cause a huge problem in the next few generations writing abilities if we don't fix it at the source! Anyway, school boards have to stop dumbing everything down. If a stupid student can't keep up, well, he/she'd better be doing more studying. Or however he/she wants to manage to keep up with the others. I don't believe in raising the bar to help the very intelligent students, but I'm also against lowering it for the idiots of the world.  

WellThen

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:59 pm
I scared half the class because I don't know text talk.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:11 pm
UmmeKulsoom
I scared half the class because I don't know text talk.
w0w, R u S$rIus?*

That's one strange class you have, Ummekulsoom.

* On purpose.

wink  

Zealot of Insanity

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:13 pm
As you can see, I'm not very good at typing in text talk. cool  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:08 am
metalmalzan
As you can see, I'm not very good at typing in text talk. cool

I can read it, I just find it harder to write then normal text.
i cn red it i jst fnd it hrdr 2 rite thn nrml txt

I suppose it's just a case of skipping vowels wherever possible...

And that's just disturbing...The teacher thing, I mean.

Ithaya

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:39 pm
A teacher is supposed to set the example, not lower themselves to the level of the idiotic "txt tlkrz". That's just like teaching street talk in schools and calling it "ebonics". Oh, we have to be politically correct and celebrate all the different dialects "evolving" from English. There's nothing wrong with "txt tlk" and "ebonics"; they're just different, and different always means "good".

That's the mentality of today's PC, new age society. That is why English is dying and those who try to stave it off are labelled as "nazis", "biggots" and "narrow-minded". Well, if being intelligent and literate makes me a narrow-minded nazi, so be it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:53 pm
I'm from India, and there text talk wou look like this: sU <#3@ Translation: su che? or, what?
gah  

Archdemonessa

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:28 am
Thank you for bringing that up! I was thinking of that very thing this morning. Do other languages also suffer from their own versions of "txt tlk"? The answer is a resounding "yes". That of course, would make it very difficult for someone like myself who really only knows English to even guess at what is being typed.

I can read a bit of Russian, but the "txt tlk" would kill it for me.

there their, woul would  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:44 am
Just look on the bright side, everyone... Soon, you'll be failing your main language course because you can't keep up on the "evolving language" curve by being 133t literate, BUT you will be able to earn additional college credits by taking English as your second language... and being quite literate there. stare  

Jill_Frost

Greedy Gaian

La Diavola

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:51 am
Oi! How do some people become teachers, huh? A teacher who has trouble spelling is one thing, but a teacher who uses 'txt tlk' is just sad. Whatever happened to teachers teaching?

Someone said something about their teacher allowing them to write essays in text talk. That fact makes me want to curl up and die. How do you even write and essay with that?! "7h1s 1s my 3$$@y." Ow. Just that sentence hurt my brain. >_<;;

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff