Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammar Nazis Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should we?
  Yes
  No
  Whatever.
View Results

Jolly Rotten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:35 am
Okay. I'm a grammar nazi. Anyone else?

But what did the nazi's do? They exterminated people they hated, people that were weak and inhuman (Yes, the jews were inhuman to many nazi's) Should we do the same? Should we destroy these people with sad grammar so that they don't cripple the english language completely? Or should we just mock them senseless for their posts?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:55 pm
No, we shouldn't. It doesn't encourage them to make an effort to change at all, and just makes them sad, or angry, and then they have an even less chance of correcting their mistakes. Correct them gently.

( evil And we're not weak or inhuman!)  

Bittersweet_3

Jill_Frost

Greedy Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:26 pm
I think that perhaps we should be grammar tyrants rather than grammar nazis. Certain things in our lifetime will always carry with them a certain sting, and the very word "nazi" may always carry the weight of their crimes. A tyrant, however, is not linked with any particular calamity, but is instead known for a certain callousness and unbending quality that perhaps certain people could relate to where it pertains to grammar.

A firm hand should be applied as a grammar tyrant, but Bittersweet_3 is right; there is nothing to be gained by being malicious or cruel.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:17 pm
Jill_Frost

A firm hand should be applied as a grammar tyrant, but Bittersweet_3 is
right; there is nothing to be gained by being malicious or cruel.

I can't agree with you, since by being a b***h when it comes to grammar I've "taught" friends to spell correctly. While being nice, they can't seem to understand.  

Jolly Rotten

Ithaya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:58 am
I've managed to turn at least one person, mainly by making them see how much it annoyed me though, but I still have to correct them every so often. No yelling, no real nicities though, just a *[insert correct spelling here].

I don't know, I've never really had to work with anyone who doesn't want to learn.

But what could we do anyway? Even if you yell at them, they'll do it even more to spite you, but if you be nice, they'll just not bother.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:39 am
No, we shouldn't be Nazi's at all. Comment on their grammar and correct them, maybe mock them a little. But don't completely destroy them as this can lead to some people becoming depressed and we have too many of them already. Also it can lead to many a banning.

Commenting on their grammar and spelling is fine just don't take it too far, in less they throw the first punch.

P-Nutty

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:08 am
I try to be subtle. I might just casually mentioned a misspelled word. Being rude and tyrannical doesn't work well. Being too nice might not work either. Remember that everyone is an individual. No one method will work with all people.

nazi's nazis  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:29 pm
If we get rid of them, there will be no one to make fun of!  

KiraLight

aznspartan94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:02 pm
Good grammar is better than getting confused by sentences all using stuff like, "5w337! n00b5 1n 7h3 h0u53!" Whew! That took me like 30 seconds to write out. Translation, "Sweet! Noobs in the house!"  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:16 pm
In my opinion, why bother? I mean, bad grammar is as much a part of society as belly shirts and obnoxious music. No matter how much they bug us, we're (unfortunately) a minority. The grammar police just wouldn't be enough.  

torrinne

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:40 am
It's a hopeless battle. We'll just do what we can to improve grammar.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:39 pm
I don't think we should kill them, just ignore the people who don't care to use grammar correctly.  

Heir Fuhrer

Ithaya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:47 pm
Shinobi 1977

nazi's nazis

*Blink blink.* I can't believe I only noticed that now! It jumped out at me like I don't know what! It just screams 'hypocrite'. I'm glad you said something since I seem to have failed to the first time I posted here...

If you are going to be a grammar nazi, at least learn how to use grammar. Apostrophes are the simplist things, really...[/musings.]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:13 pm
Being a grammar nazi just gives a bad outlook on us. We all make mistakes in grammar. I am more annoyed by txt talk than whether you have good grammar or not.  

Sarla-chan

Hyotana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:36 pm
Okay, here's a stranger story for you strangers.

I am a nutty grammar nazi, this is widely acknowledged. Sometimes called compulsive verbal edit, I belong to the cursed class, closet intellectuals, the insane.

Alright, the strange part: I'm dyslexic.

I can't spell for salvation. I had to spell check and proof read this message twice, and I still don't have faith it's spelled correctly. And generally my spelling is so atrocious I don't spell check, people understand I do not have an IQ of 83, even if I spell like it.

And yet, I am a compulsive grammar edit.

Odd? Terrible? Hippo-critical? I think so.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff