The Different Disciplines (Sects) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akanishi Makoto
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:27 am
Well, since this was brought up eariler, I guess it would merit its own thread.

I'd like to know, what are the different disciplines, and what are the major differences between them, for example:

Zen vs. Tantric, or Mahayanan vs. Theravadan.

And, if applicable, what is the core teaching or Sutra?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:05 pm
The major difference between Mahayana and Theravada, I can do. I'm Mahayana, my husband is Theravada. biggrin

Mahayana teachings in general center more on the idea of compassion and the perfection of this virtue before the others - hence the Bodhisattva vow, wherein one keeps generating karma even after they have attained enlightenment in order to stay around and help other people reach the same state. Mahayana also have additional sutras - like the diamond sutra and the heart sutra - that the Theravada don't follow.

Theravada, on the other hand, center on perfect wisdom and personal attainment thereof - when Theravada practitioners attain enlightenment, they do not follow a Bodhisattva vow, they see said vow as a backwards step, and believe that in order to teach others that enlightenment is possible and that all people can attain it, the best way is to show them by leaving this death-rebirth cycle altogether yourself. Theravadan scripture contains only the tripitaka and the dhammapada itself - anything that was added by other followers who identify themselves as such (such as in some Mahayana sutras) after the Buddha laid the foundations of the faith are seen as nice reading, but that's about it.

I may have left some things out; I'll run the post by my husband when I get home to make sure. 3nodding  

Cranium Squirrel
Captain

Friendly Trickster

King Kento

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:23 pm
Alright, nice to see a thread of this, this is one of the original reasons I joined the first Buddhism guild.
Hopefully some other people will write about the other sects.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:16 am
This turned out a lot longer than I anticipated, but it’s still rushed. I’ll edit the stuff later, I’m sure.

Theravada, Sanskrit for "Way of the Elders" I think.

The first form of Buddhism. They stick to the fundamentals, straight tripitika and dhammapada as previously mentioned, but I’m pretty sure they also have a few post-canonical sutras. Their goal is to reach a state of perfect peace where both aversion and desire are extinguished and they escape the cycle of death and rebirth. A person in such a state becomes an "Arhat".

Mahayana, Sanskrit for "Greater Vehicle".

Again as previously mentioned, where the defining characteristic of Theravada is one of wisdom, the mission statement of Mahayana is one of compassion. The goal is not just to become enlightened, but to be your own full and complete Buddha, to stay involved in the world and help others achieve enlightenment as a Bodhisattva. Many Mahayana practitioners point to the Buddha's dying words of (paraphrasing, maybe) "Become a lamp unto yourself" as a message to advance beyond the core teachings.

Theravada practitioners don't consider this heresy. They even consider the goal of becoming a Bodhisattva more noble than simple self-enlightenemt and that it could be achieveable. However, they state that only a few need to take this route. Also, the best way to lead others to peace is through example more than anything else.

A very important concept of Mahayana Buddhism is "upaya". A sanskrit word often translated as "skillful means", sometimes "liberative technique". Basically, it means that the five basic precepts, depending on the situation, can be broken if it's done in the name of compassion or with aim to create Bodhicitta, a state of mind where the target can develop thought conducive to enlightenment.

I think one of the key Sutras in Mahayana might be found in a section of the Lotus Sutra. A Bodhisattva (or was it the Buddha? I forget) was passing a burning house and saw children inside, playing, oblivious to the flames. He knew that if he told them there was a fire, there was a chance they wouldn't believe him. Instead, he said he had wonderful toys for them to play with. They immediately rushed out before the flames took the house down.

Clearly it's False Speech, but the ends justified the means. Theravada would probably excuse this breach of conduct, but are in general much less lenient. There’s a parable about a monk who, for some reason, had to break one precept. He chose to get drunk. When he was sleeping in a barn a goat woke him up, so he killed it, breaking the precept of ahimsa, or non-violence, then went and had sex with the daughter of his lodger, breaking the third precept concerning improper sexual relations, and so on.

Zen Buddhism.

Off-shoot of Mahayana, way I understand the origins in China with Ch'an Buddhism was a mix of Mahayana Buddhism and Taoism. The difference between Zen and standard Mahayana lies in what might be understood as, to draw a analogy to Christianity, Original Sin.

Most Buddhists believe that as they practice the doctrines of Buddhism and generate fruitful karma they build themselves up, spiritually, until they achieve nirvana. In their natural state, human beings are entirely entwined in samsara, the illusiory world.

In Zen Buddhism, you are already a Buddha underneath all the programming the world's wrapped you up in. You just don't know it yet. Practicing Buddhism through Zen is about revealing yourself (or lack of self, rather). This comes from the idea of the Tao, of inherent naturalness that gets smothered by societal norms, ideologies, language, and even senses and feelings.

Comes from Ch'an, or "Meditation" Buddhism in China, brought there from India by a prince named Bodhidharma. They focus less on Sutras and scriptures and more on, yep, meditation and what they call "mind-to-mind transmission" of doctrine from teacher to student.

Now, I'm not too sure if the two forms of Ch'an Buddhism, Northern and Southern, correlate respectively to Soto and Rinzai Zen Buddhism in Japan or if Soto and Rinzai Zen both come from Southern Ch'an Buddhism exclusively (I know Southern Ch'an became dominant over time since the split of Ch'an around the 730's), but I'll go ahead and see if I can talk about the different groups regardless of their origins.

Northern Ch'an Buddhism's a gradual enlightenment bunch. Slowly over time through self-reflection you achieve the goal of enlightenment. This is similar to Soto Zen, where Meditation or "Zazen" is a key practice.

Southern Ch'an Buddhism's about sudden enlightenment, or satori (Japanese term, dunno the Chinese for it). It focuses on mental and physical strain and discomfort to dislodge the ego or reveal the paradox and dependent causation of the physical world. This is where “kung-an” or, in Japanese, “koan” comes from. They serve as a verbal exercise that reveals the limitations of language and thought.

(I’m not sure if the Samurai were more based in Rinzai Zen or in Tendai Buddhism, the latter of which is a form of Mahayana Buddhism based almost solely on the Lotus Sutra and various interpretations of it by the founders and teachers. Lotus Sutra has a lot to do with the concept of Dependent Causation, which has to deal with how things, in being completely dependent and interconnected, are inherently empty and without essence. Very similar to Zen, actually.)

Pure Land (Ching-t’u)Buddhism

Where Ch’an and Zen was the form of Buddhism that intellectuals and monks took up, the lay people by and large followed this form. Not too dissimilar from Christianity, it talks about enlightenment only being attainable through complete surrender to the Buddha of Salvation or Light, known as Amitabha or Amita Buddha. Core sutra’s the Pure Land Scripture, but one can go to Heaven, the Buddha-world to the far west, simply by reciting the name of the Amita Buddha over and over. Reason why things are so simple in this religion has to do with the belief that teachings degenerate over time. Pure Land Buddhists believe humans and the teachings of the Buddha have degenerated so much by now that enlightenment is only attainable through grace and surrender.

Vajrayana Buddhism, Sanskrit for “Diamond Vehicle” or “Vehicle of the Thunderbolt”
Also Tantric Buddhism.

Imagine the three different big schools of Buddhism as three different plans for a person on one tall building’s rooftop to get on the rooftop of an adjacent tall building.

The Theravada Buddhist would say the best thing to do is take the stairs down, walk across the street, and climb the stairs up.

The Mahayana Buddhist would say the best thing to do is take the elevator down, walk across the street, and take the elevator up.

The Vajrayana Buddhist would say the best thing to do is back up, get a good running start, and jump from one rooftop to the other. Just make sure not to miss…

Basically, Vajrayana Buddhism considers itself the quickest and most dangerous path to nirvana. It places a very, very high value in the relationship between the teacher and the student. The student offers the teacher “body, speech and mind” in exchange for tutelage. After that, the student has to do whatever the teacher says. If the teacher says to eat fish guts, live in a hole, or even to chop off a finger, the student has to do it. The Story of Milarepa is a good book to read concerning this kind of relationship.

Tantra’s part of both Hindu and Buddhist teachings, but I’m not sure if the terminology of Right-handed and Left-handed or White and Red Tantra apply to Buddhism, or just to Hinduism. I’ll talk about them anyway.

Right-handed or White Tantra is the more mainstream of the two. Idea behind it boils down to viewing all things as unification between male and female, light and dark, that everything is a symbolic act of achieving a sort of monistic universality. In Hindu Tantric practices this relates to the kundaleen, where perfect posture and breathing opens up the charkas along your spine to allow Siva to move up your body to your mind, where Sakti waits. When they meet, it’s symbolic of the cosmos, in male and female form, entwining in your body and your being an internalization of all that is.

Left-handed or Red Tantra takes things a bit further. Their credo is “Turn and Face the Monster”. That means do inappropriate things and face the horrible side of yourself to see that there is, in fact, no duality between good and bad, there is only what is. (Or what isn’t. The largest difference between Hindu and Buddhist thought has to deal with whether the world is all secretly one-thing, “Atman”, or no-thing, “Sunyasa”) This is why the Tantric holy man will go into the graveyard and eat the left-over bones of cremated people to sanctify it. Other people would be ostracized for defiling himself and the procession during a funeral, but the Tantric lies outside of pure and impure, so he gets away with it. This idea of the illusiory seperate parts coming together to form the true union and oneness is also where all that sex-stuff comes into play.

(Most Tantric teachers don’t let Westerners practice this form of Tantra, mainly because we’ve been raised in a society that focuses on the form of the person, rather than the person him or herself, thereby not allowing us to connect with anything beyond the aggregates or gunas.)

Offshoot of this in Japan’s called Shingon. Don’t know too much about it. Was a rival of the Tendai school. The Tendai school was very austere and very ascetic where the Shingon school's very esoteric. Mostly appealed to artists and court nobility.

Tibetan Buddhism is a form of Vajrayana Buddhism that has at its root the Sand Mandala, where they symbolically create the Kalachakra (translated as both “Wheel of Time” and “Wheel of Death”) and then destroy it.

The reason why Vajrayana Buddhism is viewed as dangerous has to deal with the concern that you’ll mistake the means for the end. When you cross a river with a boat, you don’t then try to carry the boat on your back. This can become very destructive when the means involve sex, violence, anger, dazzling idols, and the like, and those things can be a big part of this school.

I’m burnt out. Hope this is helpful.

Edited a little.  

Harry Parachute

Cranium Squirrel
Captain

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:03 am
Harry, that was beautiful. heart

And yes, Theravada is Pali (a spoken derivation of Sanskrit) for School of the Elders.

As for the Theravada liking the Bodhisattva vow, they admit it's a very kind gesture, and do like it - hey, you're still striving to become an enlightened one and help others - but on the whole, the ones I've met so far seem to think it'd be better to leave the mortal coil altogether once you attain enlightenment, just to show others that it is possible.

Also, I love your roof-jumping analogy for Vajrayana. I think that's probably one of the best ways I've ever seen it explained in common terms. smile

Thank you for this wonderful post!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:37 pm
Holy Crap (or carp)! eek

Harry, my hat is off to you.

That's the best description I've read... and the first time that I actually heard anything about Tantrics. I guess the bone-eating was enough to prompt most people from leaving that out...

Very nice, indeed!  

Akanishi Makoto
Vice Captain

Harry Parachute

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:04 am
Thanks.

Left out Nichiren, someone else can field that if they want.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:35 pm
Whoa, they were right { 3nodding }that was... um nice.

Bravo... standing ovation stressed my spelling isn't to good. (sp)

But, yea amazing... hehehe  

ana`

Lamneth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:27 am
Byaggha and Harry, thank you both for clearing up many of my misconceptions about, and explaining the differences of each sect.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:14 pm
Anyone want to try explaining Nichiren? I'd never even heard of it before seeing the term in another thread in this quild.  

Merlin the White

Rinimarie

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:37 am
Harry Parachute

Mahayana, Sanskrit for "Greater Vehicle".

Hehe I wanted to share something with you guys. My Dad has a bumper sticker on the back of his car that says: "My other vehicle is the Mahayana." None of my friends are buddhist, so they don't understand the joke, but I figured you guys might get a kick out of it. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:36 am
Rinimarie
Hehe I wanted to share something with you guys. My Dad has a bumper sticker on the back of his car that says: "My other vehicle is the Mahayana." None of my friends are buddhist, so they don't understand the joke, but I figured you guys might get a kick out of it. biggrin
I like it. biggrin Any idea where he got it?  

Cranium Squirrel
Captain

Friendly Trickster

Akanishi Makoto
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:17 pm
Byaggha
Rinimarie
I like it. biggrin Any idea where he got it?
That is great. I'm interested too.
Google, here I come.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:18 pm
I found this one on Google.  

Akanishi Makoto
Vice Captain

Tenzin Chodron
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:31 am
There are six Chinese Buddhist schools

San-lung
Fa-hsiang
Tien-t'ai
Hua-yen
Pureland
Ch'ang

Hua-yen school accepts only one sutra, the Hua-yen Ching which deals with interrelatedness, or interconnectivity.

In Mahayana, there are a few known schools:

Madhyamik: Founded by Nagarjuna, which an emphasis on emptiness
Yogacara: Consciousness is real (very influential in Western psychology)

Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff