Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that should not be misused Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should we strive for words to be used correctly?
  Of course!!
  No, what's the point?
View Results

Mangabrary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:45 pm
Everyone has a favorite word, whether they acknowledge it or not. But, was there ever a word you didn't want said? A word that you think should be banned, at least from being used out of context? Discuss it here.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:53 pm
I, personally, dislike it when people use 'gay' in the wrong context. Such as:

"That's so gay!"

I think it should only be used when describing someone who actually is gay, or in the sense of jovial. "Don we now our gay apparell."
Another word I feel is misused is 'retarded'. It's just rude to use the term so lightly, especially to those of us with relatives or friends who are actually retarded. Generally, in my experience, 'retarded' and 'gay' are used in the same way. Since I'm in junior high school students will use them to describe something they dislike.

The last word I'm mentioning right now is 'Nazi'. 'Nazi' is a term that should not be taken lightly, as it has such a dark history. The nazis were people who did terrible things, that should never be repeated. Whenever someone says something like "I'm the (insert something or other here) Nazi!" it's taking a heavy term so lightly. Maybe it's just some of my own personal experiences. I've had people hate me merely because I'm german (the person in question was jewish, his mother had been in a concentration camp). So, to me, 'Nazi' is not a term to be taken as lightly as it is.  

Mangabrary

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:23 pm
'Retarded' Actually means slow. It boggles the mind how a box can be slow.

'irreguardless' is a word that should be banned. It isn't a word, it is a double negative.

'Douche Bag' it is a female cleaning device. I have yet to see how it is an insult...if anyone can clear that up for me, I would be very happy.

Most importantly, 'ain't' is NOT a word, reguardless what the dictionary says. The dictionary calls it slang, and that is what it is! 'Ain't' supposidly contains the words 'are' and 'not', but isn't that 'arn't'? I would personally love to slap anyone who uses that word.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:39 pm
Mangabrary
Everyone has a favorite word, whether they acknowledge it or not. But, was there ever a word you didn't want said? A word that you think should be banned, at least from being used out of context? Discuss it here.

Gay, retarded...There's a whole bunch of them, but those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Retarded-Mentaly challenged. And it is acctualy a derogitory term for them. I once had a person ask if my ears are retarded.

Gay-Homosexual, or happy. Not bad. I have it when I hear someone use gay to mean bad.  

lola_siannodel

La Diavola

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:09 pm
ThexBrokenxDoll
'Retarded' Actually means slow. It boggles the mind how a box can be slow.

'irreguardless' is a word that should be banned. It isn't a word, it is a double negative.

'Douche Bag' it is a female cleaning device. I have yet to see how it is an insult...if anyone can clear that up for me, I would be very happy.

Most importantly, 'ain't' is NOT a word, reguardless what the dictionary says. The dictionary calls it slang, and that is what it is! 'Ain't' supposidly contains the words 'are' and 'not', but isn't that 'arn't'? I would personally love to slap anyone who uses that word.

It's an insult because you are the one cleaning out the v****a. You get to hold all of the icky stuff from the sex-place.

Oh, and slap me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:41 pm
ThexBrokenxDoll

It's supposed to be a contraction of "am not". Did you see this thread? It's about whether "ain't" is a word or not.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

The Aged God

Divine Cleric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:47 pm
Oh, I dissaprove of the word "gay" too. Way too daily out of context.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:17 am
Writ and gay. And then there's f*** and b*****d.  

Ithaya

K8.Edid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:25 am
How about "y'all?" That one just really gets on my nerves.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:43 am
Mangabrary

"That's so gay!"

I think it should only be used when describing someone who actually is gay, or in the sense of jovial. "Don we now our gay apparell."
Another word I feel is misused is 'retarded'. It's just rude to use the term so lightly, especially to those of us with relatives or friends who are actually retarded. Generally, in my experience, 'retarded' and 'gay' are used in the same way. Since I'm in junior high school students will use them to describe something they dislike.

The last word I'm mentioning right now is 'Nazi'. 'Nazi' is a term that should not be taken lightly, as it has such a dark history. The nazis were people who did terrible things, that should never be repeated. Whenever someone says something like "I'm the (insert something or other here) Nazi!" it's taking a heavy term so lightly. Maybe it's just some of my own personal experiences. I've had people hate me merely because I'm german (the person in question was jewish, his mother had been in a concentration camp). So, to me, 'Nazi' is not a term to be taken as lightly as it is.

I agree, people use the word 'Nazi' way too easily. Can't they just replace it with the word 'fanatic' or something along those lines?

"Grammar fanatic"

Using gay as a swearing word gets on my nerves too. Who says being gay is a bad thing? In any case, when someone uses 'gay' as a swearing word, it says more about him/her, than about the person who it's aimed at *nods*

Eurykleia

Mangabrary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 pm
Eurykleia
Mangabrary

"That's so gay!"

I agree, people use the word 'Nazi' way too easily. Can't they just replace it with the word 'fanatic' or something along those lines?

"Grammar fanatic"

Using gay as a swearing word gets on my nerves too. Who says being gay is a bad thing? In any case, when someone uses 'gay' as a swearing word, it says more about him/her, than about the person who it's aimed at *nods*
True that, true that. 3nodding Speaking of which, as I was finding my thread to see if anyone had posted (and people have! yay!) I saw another thread on our guild forums about 'Grammar Nazis'. It's just... disappointing? Yeah, that sounds about right.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:51 pm
I hate it when people use Nazi and Communist. Ok, so I'm not a fan of Superman, that doesn't make me a Communist. And I'm obsessed with protecting India while I live in America, that doesn't make me a Nazi.  

Archdemonessa

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:52 pm
Changing one word with another such as 'fanatic' doesn't make anything better, be it how dark the word 'Nazi' really is, as I would know people who would still get upset with the term 'fanatic' since it is just away to show how crazy they are over something.

There are a multiple of words misused, all used in the sense of bad-talking another person. I personally hate it when someone calls a woman 'b*tch'. And therefore instead of saying words misused such as 'gay' or 'retard' and so forth, are terrible and shouldn't be used, I think we should just refrain from calling someone something 'demeaning' in general. It would make everyone a happier person in the end.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:34 pm
Kohy
Changing one word with another such as 'fanatic' doesn't make anything better, be it how dark the word 'Nazi' really is, as I would know people who would still get upset with the term 'fanatic' since it is just away to show how crazy they are over something.

There are a multiple of words misused, all used in the sense of bad-talking another person. I personally hate it when someone calls a woman 'b*tch'. And therefore instead of saying words misused such as 'gay' or 'retard' and so forth, are terrible and shouldn't be used, I think we should just refrain from calling someone something 'demeaning' in general. It would make everyone a happier person in the end.

I hate calling a woman a b***h, and acting like that's alright. I hate it when I talk to a girl, and she asks me about something, I refuse to answer, and she would ask "Why, b***h?". Yeah, that's why. A b***h is a female dog, or unpleasent woman. Not one's girlfriend (which, if it could be concidered derogitory, like saying that she's your sex object. Girls, if your boyfriend calls you a b***h, dump his a**, and do it in the most humiliating why possible.), and you shouldn't call your friend that (I, personaly, consider it an insult). I've been called a b***h by my ex after he asked for sex (and I refused). It's not a good word.

I also see 'Nazi' and 'communist' thrown around all the time. Usualy, by ignorant, older men who probably where too full of themselves and how they are beter. I also hate people who think that certain capitalist countries are communist (Japan is one. Russia, too, which is now a democracy.). Using 'Nazi' to describe someone who is not a Nazi is just taking it lightly. I also get annoyed when people compare Bush to Hitler, and say Bush is worse. Now, I'm not a Bush fan, but he's no where near as bad as Hitler.  

lola_siannodel

Mangabrary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:34 pm
lola_siannodel
Kohy

I hate calling a woman a b***h, and acting like that's alright. I hate it when I talk to a girl, and she asks me about something, I refuse to answer, and she would ask "Why, b***h?". Yeah, that's why. A b***h is a female dog, or unpleasent woman. Not one's girlfriend (which, if it could be concidered derogitory, like saying that she's your sex object. Girls, if your boyfriend calls you a b***h, dump his a**, and do it in the most humiliating why possible.), and you shouldn't call your friend that (I, personaly, consider it an insult). I've been called a b***h by my ex after he asked for sex (and I refused). It's not a good word.

I also see 'Nazi' and 'communist' thrown around all the time. Usualy, by ignorant, older men who probably where too full of themselves and how they are beter. I also hate people who think that certain capitalist countries are communist (Japan is one. Russia, too, which is now a democracy.). Using 'Nazi' to describe someone who is not a Nazi is just taking it lightly. I also get annoyed when people compare Bush to Hitler, and say Bush is worse. Now, I'm not a Bush fan, but he's no where near as bad as Hitler.
I'm with you on that. I really dislike Bush but, come on people! You don't see him murdering hundreds of thousands of Jews!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff