Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Shouldn't the banner be enough? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does this happen to anyone else?
  Constantly
  Once in a while
  Never
  Who cares? Quit whining and give me my gold!!
View Results

K8.Edid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:56 am
After joining this guild, I was enthusiastic about putting the banner in my signature. "Great," I thought, "now my signature can state how I feel about 'txt tlk' and 'leet speak' so I don't have to keep pointing it out to people."

However, after doing so I have noticed that I'll still get people sending me PMs in 'leet speak' or with horrible grammar and spelling. Shouldn't it be obvious, after seeing the banner in my signature, that I disdain these things? Do they honestly expect a friendly response?

I really didn't write this post so much to complain as to find out if this happens to anyone else, as well as to get ideas on how to handle it. I would appreciate any advice on the matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:47 am
It's times like this that i'm glad I never get pm's xp  

Roane Farhall

Distinct Hunter

Eurykleia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:47 am
I think some people are too lazy to write in proper English, even if there's a banner requesting them to. They just don't care *sigh* I don't know if there's anything we can do about it, laziness and selfishness can't be helped  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:58 am
Only when they're in a hurry. I've never known my freinds to do such a horrorable act.  

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

Lazarus Soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:43 pm
Well, what I've come to conclude is that because of IMs, people think the Internet as a whole is a place for "l337 speak" and "txt tlk". I've made an RP or two (actually, about seven) where the rules clearly stated that LITERACY IS A MUST. I guess people either can't read because of their illiterate ways, or they just don't give a damn. >.<  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:19 pm
K8.Edid
After joining this guild, I was enthusiastic about putting the banner in my signature. "Great," I thought, "now my signature can state how I feel about 'txt tlk' and 'leet speak' so I don't have to keep pointing it out to people."

However, after doing so I have noticed that I'll still get people sending me PMs in 'leet speak' or with horrible grammar and spelling. Shouldn't it be obvious, after seeing the banner in my signature, that I disdain these things? Do they honestly expect a friendly response?

I really didn't write this post so much to complain as to find out if this happens to anyone else, as well as to get ideas on how to handle it. I would appreciate any advice on the matter.
It's not so much, in my opinion, that they want to make you mad or anything like that. It's just that they are... how to put this nicely... I can't. Oh well. It's just that they are stupid. They might see the banner and think "Oh, that's funny. Ha ha!" but I don't think they can connect that you don't like '1337' and 'txt tlk' just because it says so in your signature. People are just stupid that way. Especially Americans. (don't take offense at that please, I'm American too)  

Mangabrary

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm
Well, if they're illiterate, the literate banner of our guild is probably too complicated for them to understand stare  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:37 am
Sometimes I wonder if the n00bs can even read words that are more than two or three letters long. Somehow, I doubt it.

I haven't had the dubious pleasure of running into that. If I were to get a very illiterate PM (especially a begging one), I'd just block the sender. Problem solved.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

K8.Edid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:27 pm
Thank you everyone for responding, especially for the people who had some advice. I guess my biggest problem with it isn't even so much that they will send the illiterate PM (although that does bother me) but that they either flame me for being stuck up by not answering, or when I do answer and ask them to be literate when they PM me, they send me 2 or 3 more that are just as illiterate telling me I should lighten up.

By the way, I apologize for my propensity towards Hemingway-ish run-on sentences.  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:58 pm
Shinobi 1977
Sometimes I wonder if the n00bs can even read words that are more than two or three letters long. Somehow, I doubt it.

I haven't had the dubious pleasure of running into that. If I were to get a very illiterate PM (especially a begging one), I'd just block the sender. Problem solved.
Heh, blocking is also my way of "discriminating" illiterates.  

Zealot of Insanity

Eleusinian Mysteries

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:06 pm
I guess people are just ignorant lately...Or maybe they are doing that to infuriate you...A form of torture...Or maybe they are just too lazy to type out two or three more letter than they think they have to.  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:16 am
I figure they mostly do it just to make you mad. They think it's cool to piss of someone who is more intelligent then them (obviously) and who can actually speak correct English rather "doin dis" or the ever most annoying "TaLkInG lIkE tHiS." That annoys me the most!  

Sarla-chan

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:53 am
xd

When you think about it, you're probably a walking target with that thing there. It happens a lot when you're wearing something differently, as you're now the 'butt of the jokes'. Where I live, all schools have uniforms-- I don't think there's a school that doesn't have one. But when walking in town or walking past another school, you're easily recognised by your uniform. You always get chastised about something to do with your school, usually out of pure jealousy if your school happens to be better than the others.

I think this is similar to that. You're sort of putting up an unspoken challenge with it, and they're just trying to get under your skin, an act of ignorance.

I wouldn't get too upset about it if I was you, as it appears that's probably what they're trying to do.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:22 am
It's usually solved by talking back in a formal manner.
Like that.  

GabbySilverwood

KiraLight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:54 am
I just put the banner in for fun...
and the only PMs I get are from other people who agree with my banner  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers